sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 27, 2023 10:43 pm  #1

CTV Kitchener Is Moving To A New Studio

It's an end of a era at CKCO in Kitchener. After 70 years CKCO will be moving to a new studio in South Kitchener leaving it's current location at 864 King Street Kitchener across from Grand River Hospital. Also joining in the move is Bounce 99.5 and 105.3 Virgin Radio. 

https://kitchener.ctvnews.ca/ctv-kitchener-is-moving-1.6580443 

https://kitchener.ctvnews.ca/end-of-an-era-ctv-kitchener-leaves-its-longtime-home-1.6580418 

September 28, 2023 2:25 pm  #2

Re: CTV Kitchener Is Moving To A New Studio

Bell Media will do very well selling the CTV property on King St.  Right on the new LRT line, across the street from the Grand River Hospital and enough land for yet another new condo/retail development for downtown Kitchener.

Nice to hear that CTV's new facility will have all new equipment and that the two radio stations (Virgin and Bounce) will be reunited with television in the same premises.

September 28, 2023 2:37 pm  #3

When I worked in that building (at CKKW), I was told the outside walls were double bricked and there was a large supply of the same bricks in storage for repairs/expansion. Should be a "fun" demolition.

I also remember it could be confusing getting around the internal stairways.

September 28, 2023 3:08 pm  #4

The building of the red colored uniforms of the news anchors - Romper Room and the start for Lisa La Flamme.   

September 28, 2023 4:58 pm  #5

markow202 wrote:

The building of the red colored uniforms of the news anchors - Romper Room and the start for Lisa La Flamme.   

You mean these red blazers?

I actually thought it was a great idea!,  and considering the Philips LDK-3 (PC 60/70) cameras with the Plumbicon tubes had a very pleasing colour reproduction for red tones, the picture at home was very pleasing to watch.

September 28, 2023 6:04 pm  #6

New place looks nice, but boy is it small

September 28, 2023 10:37 pm  #7

I heard half the building in downtown Kitchener is empty and hasn't been used for a long time.  Both radio stations moved out years ago when CHUM owned them, and the second studio is never used other than to warehouse for the Christmas Toy Drive.   All they produce in house is the news.

It will be interesting to see their transition to the strip mall in a location that has no visibility.  

September 29, 2023 8:38 am  #8

RadioAaron wrote:

They did say they were moving to “the same plaza” where Lulu’s used to be, and based on the pictures they posted, I think they’re actually moving to this building in that plaza… (specifically, the SW corner of the larger building by the green space)

https://maps.app.goo.gl/cPHxMhi5mBZaMzq47?g_st=ic

September 29, 2023 10:21 am  #9

ED1 wrote:

RadioAaron wrote:

They did say they were moving to “the same plaza” where Lulu’s used to be, and based on the pictures they posted, I think they’re actually moving to this building in that plaza… (specifically, the SW corner of the larger building by the green space)

https://maps.app.goo.gl/cPHxMhi5mBZaMzq47?g_st=ic

That makes more sense. I knew it would be relatively small, but...

October 9, 2023 3:49 pm  #10

So watching the weekend news of CTV Kitchener they had Tyler Keleher standing behind the couch spot doing the weather where they do the segments during the 5PM shows which hints they are in the process of moving to the temporary set. The lighting was a bit different too during the webcast. Also I think CTV Windsor also modfied their news set too. Also don't expect any newscasts on CTV London and CTV Windsor today.

October 11, 2023 1:50 pm  #11

They are on their temporary set for now and during the 5 and 6 newscasts last night it was off to a bumpy start. First off during the 5 PM newscast they had a bit of trouble playing the clip of when the attack on Israel was going on. Than during the traffic segement they did not bother to show the Waze map instead they showed the live feed from their tower cam. I bet there were more gaffles and mistakes during their 6PM news. I get it this will have to do for now until they move in to their new home. Also I feel soory for Will Aiello who had to stand outside in the rain during the 6 PM show because there was no spot for him to do the weather inside the so called temporary set. They could have him stand where they did the 5PM newscast and do it from there or put a tempoarary video screen. But still could have done better. I have lots of questions about this new location. Will there be local control staff? Will there still be graphic card mistakes like we still see during the newscasts? There are still question marks hovering in the air for now untill they move in a couple of weeks.

November 1, 2023 7:42 am  #13

haydenmatthews14 wrote:

I have lots of questions about this new location. Will there be local control staff? Will there still be graphic card mistakes like we still see during the newscasts? There are still question marks hovering in the air for now untill they move in a couple of weeks.

There have been no local control room staff at CKCO for several years, likely 10 years at least. Everything is switched out of Toronto and 'graphic cards' haven't been used for probably 30 years, all on screen graphics are electronically geneerated and yes, I suspect there will still be mistakes because humans enter the information.. 

November 2, 2023 12:08 am  #14

Watching the video. It looks like one of the satellite dishes with the CTV logo could use a touch up.

November 5, 2023 1:24 pm  #15

Here is the new studio.
https://kitchener.ctvnews.ca/video?clipId=2800566&playlistId=null&binId=1.1147261&playlistPageNum=1 

It looks a lot bigger better and neat. They are expected to move in next week. I guess Monday is when they start.

Last edited by haydenmatthews14 (November 5, 2023 10:25 pm)

November 5, 2023 10:26 pm  #16

Their webcast was from the new studio tonight: 
https://kitchener.ctvnews.ca/video?clipId=2801133&playlistId=null&binId=1.1147261&playlistPageNum=1 

They also had a farewell goodbye to their old location at 864 King Street location.

Last edited by haydenmatthews14 (November 5, 2023 10:26 pm)

November 6, 2023 7:28 am  #17

Here's their sole-focused web story on the big move. 

CTV Kitchener has a new home!

November 23, 2023 11:10 pm  #18

Here is a BTS video of them showing the new studio in detail with 6PM anchor Alexandra Pinto

https://kitchener.ctvnews.ca/video?clipId=2814282

December 2, 2023 7:02 pm  #19

The Kitchener tower is gone - and it's no longer for the birds.

Falcon box comes down as CTV tower removed

December 3, 2023 8:41 pm  #20

RadioActive wrote:

The Kitchener tower is gone - and it's no longer for the birds.

Falcon box comes down as CTV tower removed

Cannot watch the clip with their new crappy player. It sucks. Will not play.