sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 20, 2015 11:31 pm  #1

Report Suggests Funding The CBC Like PBS

That's just one of the many suggestions contained in a Senate Committee report on funding the CBC, which has drawn the ire of higher-ups in the Corporation. I can just see Peter Mansbridge now, interrupting an episode of "Heartland" or "Mr. D.," promising a special CD of all the hits from both shows if you'll just send us $50.

According to The Canadian Press, the committee is also "calling on Canada’s public broadcaster to publicly disclose how much employees make and ensure non-executives aren’t getting paid more than their peers in private broadcasting." No wonder the higher-ups aren't impressed! Yes, but will they be making their 50 buck contribution when the time comes? And where is Goldie Gardner these days, anyway?

CBC must find new funding sources, Senate report says

July 21, 2015 2:01 am  #2

Re: Report Suggests Funding The CBC Like PBS

RadioActive wrote:

And where is Goldie Gardner these days, anyway?

Retired in 2008: http://www.torontomike.com/2008/07/goldie_gardner_will_no_longer.html

But she returned in 2013 for  "WNED COOKS": http://www.wned.org/item/274-wned-cooks

Last edited by Radiowiz (July 21, 2015 2:03 am)

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

July 21, 2015 8:17 am  #3

I wonder if the senate committe which drafted the report actually understands the funding model for US Public Broadcasting.

July 21, 2015 9:17 am  #4

In order for the CBC to attract more funding - regardless as to the source - they need to be able to systematically assess and proactively program to the wants and needs of Canadians.  Witness the absence of live, televised coverage of Canadian gold medal games in baseball and basketball.  A "what if" contingency broadcasting plan would have enabled the Corp. to shift from scheduled programming to covering those gold medal games, capitalizing on the excitement and furthering interest in the Games as a whole - and furthering more interest in the CBC and its schedule.

If they're going to reflect Canadian interests and insure their corporation's survival, the CBC is going to need to take a far more proactive approach in assessing all their programming. 

Last edited by Andy McNabb (July 21, 2015 9:22 am)

Andy McNabb
AndyMcNabb.com

July 21, 2015 4:34 pm  #5

I am completely and  totally FOR the CBC raising it's ALL of its own funding.  I am also 100% in favour of ONLY users supporting and paying for it.  Particualrly radio...but also TV.  And maybe they can MOVE their facility from that PRIME downtown Toronto real-estate to a more modest facility somewhere in upper Shitt's Creek.  [paddles optional]

Haven't been a fan since black and white/mono hockey nights in Canada.  In fact...I want my money BACK!!!