sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 22, 2023 10:12 am  #1

PP eats an apple

I haven't seen any discussion here about Pierre Poilievre and his apple.  The right-wing media here and in other countries has turned PP into a hero for his apple-munching chat with an Okanagan news service editor.  I'm not a PP fan at all.  But IMHO, the editor didn't do a very good job here.  One thing I've seen from smart right-wing media haters like PP and Ron DeSantis is that they jump on any journalist who paraphrases their past comments by retorting (accurately) they didn't say that.  You need to be prepared with exact quotes when you tackle guys like this.  What's does the panel of experts think?

Last edited by dieter (October 22, 2023 11:20 am)

October 22, 2023 10:57 am  #2

Re: PP eats an apple

This clip has turned up repeatedly on media all across the country, especially on talk stations like CFRB and AM640. 

You can love or hate PP, but there's no denying the interviewer came off looking like an idiot. If you haven't done your research beforehand, it doesn't matter who you're talking to - it will show almost every time. The CBC has identified the reporter as Don Urquhart, editor of the Times Chronicle, a B.C. news service. I'd hate to be him coming into his workplace after being made an object of ridicule across the country. 

Even those who dislike the Conservative leader (and there are lots of those on SOWNY) have to admit he got the best of this guy and that apple "prop" only made it seem worse. Bob Reid on CFRB's weekly "Touchdowns and Fumbles" segment (which is about how people fared in the media, and not about politics) gave Poilievre a "touchdown" for the way he handled it, suggesting it could one day be used in media classrooms showing future reporters what NOT to do when you're talking to a public figure.

"While the video has attracted both praise and criticism online, ultimately it's a win politically, said Alex Marland, a professor at Acadia University and author of the book Whipped: Party Discipline in Canada.

"This is worth lots of money in marketing dollars. Because it's earned media. So it's reaching a lot of people," he said."

On the other hand, the praise he's getting from discredited sources like Fox News doesn't exactly help him, although I suppose that's preaching to the converted. 

In the end, how you feel about this guy will inevitably colour your reaction to this video - from well handled on the right side to rude and arrogant on the left side. 

But to me the worst part is we never got to the most important fact of all: what kind of apple was he eating?

Poilievre gets international attention for apple-eating viral moment

October 22, 2023 4:27 pm  #3

Granted, the interviewer should have been better prepared, but PP came across as an insufferable arsehole.

Sure, the people who love him will love that clip as it shows him "putting a liberal in his place", but I don't see it endearing him to anyone sitting on the proverbial fence.

October 22, 2023 4:29 pm  #4

He's a polarizing character, that's for sure. 

October 23, 2023 6:58 am  #5

The country would be soooo much better with him than Trudope!!

October 23, 2023 9:21 am  #6

A reminder that Rick Mercer had PeePee's grift in his sights more than a decade ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gnmgL5CZqfs

October 23, 2023 10:02 am  #7

peter wrote:

The country would be soooo much better with him than Trudope!!

Trudope? .. are you 11 years old?