sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 20, 2023 11:16 am  #1

Free A.I.-Powered "Denoiser" Promises To Get Rid Of Record/Tape Noise

Not only can Artificial Intelligence write a term paper or a speech for you, it seems it can now help clean up your audio. A new program called "Denoiser" allows you to upload an audio file and have an A.I. program clean it up for you. 

I decided to try it with an old scratchy record full of pops and clicks. The results were decent, although I'm not entirely sure it can work the miracles that it claims. But it's still worth a look (and a listen), especially since it's completely free to use. 

One thing to note: when you upload the file, it can be agonizingly slow to process it - and it seems to only return about 30 secs. of the recording. But you can download the whole thing as a .wav file to your PC or phone after it's done, and it's completely intact. You can convert it to a smaller .mp3 if you want using a free program like Audacity. 

Try it here.

Free AI-Driven Web Tool Promises To ‘Denoise’ Audio Recordings

October 20, 2023 11:51 am  #2

Re: Free A.I.-Powered "Denoiser" Promises To Get Rid Of Record/Tape Noise

Thanks to AI, 'Old Yeller' will soon have a happier ending.

October 20, 2023 1:45 pm  #3

Re: Free A.I.-Powered "Denoiser" Promises To Get Rid Of Record/Tape Noise

I gave it a try before reading the article.  I put through a cut from a very well-worn album and it really didn't do much of anything.  According the article, it's really designed to deal with hum and constant noise not de-click and de-crackle.  My copy of Audio Cleaning Lab 4 handled it well.

I'll have to try find some audio with 60hz hum in it and see what happens.