sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 17, 2023 1:20 pm  #1

It's Been Exactly 34 Yrs. Since One Of TV Sports Scariest Moments

It's been over three decades, but I remember it like it was yesterday. ABC was covering Game 3 of the 1989 World Series between the Giants and the A's on October 17th, with Al Michaels doing play-by-play. The contest hadn't started, but the final out came mere minutes later.  

As Michaels and his colleagues Jim Palmer and Tim McCarver began recapping the previous game, there was noise on the audio, a shaky camera, a loss of signal, followed by Michaels saying "I think we're having an earth--." The audience never heard him finish the sentence.

A 6.9 magnitude quake shook San Francisco, and all viewers saw for the next few minutes was a slide on the network as contact with the stadium was lost. Michaels soon resurfaced in audio form only, saying he wasn't sure if they were on the air or not, but trying to explain what happened.

What took place next was chaos, with damage to the stadium and the crowd fleeing to get out of a packed Candlestick Park. It would be days before the game was rescheduled, while parts of the city lay in ruins.

You can see one of the most unforgettable moments in TV sports history around the two minute mark in the video below. 

Revisiting one of the scariest moments in sports broadcasting history 

October 17, 2023 1:50 pm  #2

Re: It's Been Exactly 34 Yrs. Since One Of TV Sports Scariest Moments

I remember that. I thought it was longer ago.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

October 18, 2023 8:09 am  #3

Re: It's Been Exactly 34 Yrs. Since One Of TV Sports Scariest Moments

I was watching that when the earthquake happened.