sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 13, 2023 3:45 pm  #1

CFAJ 1220 Makes Radio Vet's List Of "Most Intriguing Stations Of 2023"

Every year, radio consultant and veteran columnist Sean Ross assembles a list of radio stations from around the world that are doing something intriguing, interesting or unusual. One of them is Fix Radio, a station in the U.K. that's aimed at construction workers. 

There are a few others but there was nothing that really stood out to me until the final one on the list and it was probably the last station I ever expected to see. It's CFAJ, the long-delayed St. Catharines newcomer, which Ross praises not only for being a rare AM music station but its very diverse oldies playlist. 

"Readers know that at least once a year I will have a new favorite station for “oh wow” oldies. Usually this is a station outside the U.S., but also deeper than the average large-market Classic Hits outlet, meaning that my chances at “oh wow” are doubled. The new favorite is CFAJ (Classic 1220) St. Catherines, Ontario, which after a convoluted history and two years of on-air testing, has returned heritage AM CHSC to the air at a time when other heritage Canadian AMs are being shut down."

Actually, it was more like three years testing, but why quibble? He concludes by listing some of the songs he heard while listening online on October 2nd. There's nothing really remarkable about his review other than he chose to put Classic 1220 in it at all.

See the article here. 

October 13, 2023 4:46 pm  #2

Re: CFAJ 1220 Makes Radio Vet's List Of "Most Intriguing Stations Of 2023"

I have not been checking...I hope CFAJ is playing the proper (required) CRTC regulated 35% Can Con.

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

October 13, 2023 4:54 pm  #3

I wonder if Sean has ever included Zoomer Radio AM 740 on past lists.  An even more eclectic mix of oldies and standards, and a station that has great on air talent and content.  Zoomer is unique. 

October 13, 2023 8:29 pm  #4

Never mind broad list on the Grand 92.5  and cousin The Lake 88.5. Not just another 300 titles in the rapid repeat of the red hot hits!

October 14, 2023 9:25 am  #5

Radiowiz wrote:

I have not been checking...I hope CFAJ is playing the proper (required) CRTC regulated 35% Can Con.

I've checked a couple times and it would appear that they are.

October 14, 2023 9:36 am  #6

RadioActive wrote:

There's nothing really remarkable about his review other than he chose to put Classic 1220 in it at all.

I'm sure his offer of his consultation services has already been made.

Madness takes its toll.  Please have exact change.

October 14, 2023 10:18 am  #7

SR doesn't work for free which is the MO for the owners at CFAJ. Caveat emptor Sean.

October 14, 2023 10:49 am  #8

No point in a consultant when you're not aiming for ratings.

October 15, 2023 7:54 am  #9

paterson1 wrote:

I wonder if Sean has ever included Zoomer Radio AM 740 on past lists.  An even more eclectic mix of oldies and standards, and a station that has great on air talent and content.  Zoomer is unique. 

Couldn’t agree more with you paterson1. AM740 plays oldies you’re not going to hear elsewhere and their on air talent are real personalities! As well, their newscast are fairly thorough, not bite size headlines like most AM newscast these days. Been listening for years.

October 15, 2023 12:06 pm  #10

This afternoon is a great example of Zoomers unique sound with Vintage Favourites and host Gene Stevens.  From 2-3pm a century of #1 hits on this date.  Starting with a #1 song from the 20's, 30's, 40's etc.  Then the story behind  John Cougar's first hit Chuck & Diane. Gene is also going to play a couple of listener requests.  

The Walt Disney Company is 100 years old tomorrow and in hour two Gene has a look back at 14 of the most popular and classic Disney songs over the years, and trivia about the company and music.

Perfect entertaining radio for a lazy Sunday afternoon for those 55+ or listeners interested in pop music history. 

https://zoomerradio.ca/blogs/host-blogs/gene-stevens/2023/10/10/this-week-on-vintage-favourites-october-15th/

October 15, 2023 8:19 pm  #11

paterson1 wrote:

Then the story behind  John Cougar's first hit Chuck & Diane.

I hope that Gene Stevens didn't refer to "Jack & Diane" as being John Cougar's first hit. He had already charted songs in the Hot 100 at #28 in 1979, #27 in 1980, #17 in 1981, and #2 in 1982, although "Jack & Diane" was his first (and to date, only) #1 single. 

October 15, 2023 10:06 pm  #12

Ain’t Even Done With the Night was the first I remember hearing from the year before, but I’m aware John Cougar had stuff out before then.

Cheers,
Jody Thornton

October 15, 2023 10:10 pm  #13

Jody Thornton wrote:

Ain’t Even Done With the Night was the first I remember hearing from the year before, but I’m aware John Cougar had stuff out before then.

Yes, that was his first hit on CHUM, where it reached #10.

October 16, 2023 10:04 am  #14

I have never spent too much time looking at Zoomers website.  Their weekly schedule has 32  different shows per week, and it looks like all are produced in house. That is an amazing amount of production in 2023 for a commercial AM station, and doesn't even include their solid news coverage.  All of the programs are geared for their core audience of 55+. 

Weekly program schedule.. https://zoomerradio.ca/programs

Last edited by paterson1 (October 16, 2023 10:05 am)

October 16, 2023 1:50 pm  #15

Appointment programming.

October 16, 2023 7:16 pm  #16

paterson1 wrote:

I have never spent too much time looking at Zoomers website.  Their weekly schedule has 32  different shows per week, and it looks like all are produced in house. That is an amazing amount of production in 2023 for a commercial AM station, and doesn't even include their solid news coverage.  All of the programs are geared for their core audience of 55+. 

And it loses money. As a public company their annual report is posted online. Radio loses ~1M/year.

October 16, 2023 7:38 pm  #17

Back to CFAJ for a moment, I have to confess I don't remember signing up for one of their newsletters and up until now, there hasn't been one. But I obviously did and after three years, this Pinocchio is trying to become a real boy and they sent out their very first one.

(And by the way, if they think selling banner ads instead of real commercials is going to help keep them afloat, I wish them lotsa luck. And one more thing - why are they saying "we're back" in the copy, when it's not CHSC, only the frequency? Are they trying to convince listeners this is the second coming of the old 1220?)

In any event, here's what newsletter #1 said:

October 16, 2023 8:47 pm  #18

RadioAaron wrote:

paterson1 wrote:

And it loses money. As a public company their annual report is posted online. Radio loses ~1M/year.

Radio revenue increased over $1 million from 2021 to 2022 so at least it is increasing after COVID.  However is the loss all attributed to the AM station?  How profitable is the classical FM station?  Sure they have more national sales, but do they actually make money?

Does seem odd if AM is a losing operation, why the large continued investment with so much in house programming and a very large on air staff.  Zoomer puts Newstalk 1010 and AM 640 to shame in terms of programming in my opinion.  This is the beauty of an independent operator who has more flexibility.

CTV News lost over $50 million on their operation last year.  This with a decade of cutbacks, and still can't even come close to making any money.  What does that say about them?  When in doubt blame it on the CRTC..