sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 12, 2023 2:42 pm  #1

Music To Your Ears: BBC Orchestra Unveils New Updated Doctor Who Theme

The world's oldest continuing sci fi drama will be back this year with a new Doctor Who, (unfortunately, only on Disney+) but while the famous theme song remains relatively the same, I guarantee you've never heard it quite like this. 

The BBC Orchestra plays an updated version of the theme using a ton of musicians, and while it's short, it's also nothing short of incredible. 

You can hear it here.

October 15, 2023 11:54 am  #2

Re: Music To Your Ears: BBC Orchestra Unveils New Updated Doctor Who Theme

It's really just a super duper version of the current tune.
More elaborate but it keeps the spirit of the old one.

October 15, 2023 12:01 pm  #3

Pretty good, but for my money, the 1980s remix of the original theme is still the best at conveying the energy and futuristic tone associated with the show:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4On0uLqH_I&t=4s

Last edited by BowmanvilleBob (October 15, 2023 12:05 pm)

October 15, 2023 3:07 pm  #4

Well, the Peter Howell theme is actually not a remix, it's a complete re-imagining of the 1960s theme by Delia Derbyshire.  The Howell theme is my favourite as well.

But one has to give lots of credit to the original which was mostly performed using tape loops.

I'm not a big fan of the orchestral version.  Sounds too muddled to me.

October 15, 2023 9:19 pm  #5

couldn't remember my password on the social media site formerly known as Twitter so....
https://youtu.be/rizcm_Q4l2U?si=JDtV7-R7ogr3y1lv
🎶It sounds bigger on the inside.

Last edited by betaylored (October 15, 2023 9:26 pm)

October 17, 2023 11:30 am  #6

If you're a fan of Doctor Who, the world's longest running sci fi TV series, this news will come as a big disappointment. Just like the CBC's recent dispute with the family over rights to Wayne & Shuster scripts (one reason you never see them on the network's archive) the son of the man who penned the very first script for "Who" has refused to allow the BBC to show it. 

It was called "An Unearthly Child" and it explained - as much as the series ever did - the origins of the title character in his first "adventure" back in 1963. A look at the son's tweets makes him appear completely unhinged, accusing the Beeb of not offering enough compensation and more bizarrely, of helping to "kill" his father. Here's a sample:

"In 1976 the BBC without asking permission or offering payment first registered my desperately ill father's IP (Intellectual Property) as THEIR trademark, before (by gross professional negligence or deliberate intent) KILLING HIM! You think I give a DAMN about anything else?"

His pronouncements seem to show he will not relent and that means as long as the dispute lasts, the world will never again see the origin episodes of this great classic series.

Could we not travel back in the Tardis and fix this?

BBC Blocked From Releasing First Doctor Who Episodes After Vicious - And Public - Rights Dispute