sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 14, 2023 8:58 pm  #1

Terk Amplified Indoor FM Antenna.

My stereo receiver is in the basement with no outdoor antenna. I've been using just a dipole I made from some speaker wire. Even some of the local stations are noisy with the stereo light flickering in and out.

I spotted this outfit in a store this week and decided to try it. I was disappointed to say the least. I wasn't expecting DX but I had hoped it would clean up the signals I do get. I can't tell any difference at all from my old antenna.
Adjusting the gain control had no effect. It doesn’t even seem to matter whether it is turned on or not. It’s all the same.

I thought it might be defective so I took it back and exchanged it. It works no better than the first one. Garbage.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

October 14, 2023 11:04 pm  #2

Re: Terk Amplified Indoor FM Antenna.

Return the second one and get your money back.

An "amplified" antenna, such as this is really just a basic antenna (like your "speaker wire" antenna) with an amplifier attached.  The amplifier can't amplify what that antenna doesn't pick up, and alternately, it can over-amplify stronger local signals and cause more reception problems.

Looking at the Terk web site, they claim this antenna "eliminates the distortion associated with traditional amplified antennas", whatever that means...

They also claim the antenna "provides the clearest possible reception of your favorite FM stations" which again, is marketing hype at best.

The best antenna for distant reception, is located outside, in the clear, at a good height, with a decent cable connecting it to a sensitive, selective, receiver.

BTW - try moving or rotating your antenna slightly to improve or eliminate "noisy" local stations since FM is prone to multipath issues (signals reflecting off buildings, etc) that can cause this.

October 14, 2023 11:46 pm  #3

Can't get  my money back This store has a no refunds policy. They'll allow exchange or give a store credit. I'll take the store credit. It's only $20. No big deal.

October 15, 2023 11:38 am  #4

Does anyone remember the frequent advertising for these Terk amplified antennas that used to run on CFMX all the time?  "The Terk FAM is great for the whole FAMily" was one of the taglines.  I'm sure being beaten to death on CFMX was the reason why my parents bought one for the stereo they had in the kitchen of their old place but it never seemed to do anything more than a regular antenna ever did.

October 15, 2023 1:37 pm  #5

My Kenwood Receiver has no Stereo/ Mono switch. The stereo function is engaged all the time. When the signals are weak it is noisy. CBC Radio I is perfectly clear mono.

So I decided to, instead of reconnecting my dipole, just connect a single wire about a metre long to one side only. That weakens the signals enough that there is no stereo. Clean mono is better than noisy stereo.

October 15, 2023 5:24 pm  #6

I have a Kenwood KR1400 receiver from 1975. I have been using a Terk small square shaped FM antenna which I purchased about 20 years ago to replace my ugly rabbit ears and it works perfectly for all the major local stations.
I have to admit that I rarely listen to terrestrial radio on my stereo receiver.  Instead. I use an old iPhone with a wired
connection to the receiver's AUX terminal ( RCA connectors at one end 3.5mm connected to earphone terminal of
iphone at the other end).  This way I can stream all kinds of music and audio content through my 48.yr old receiver
in beautiful stereo.  The receiver's power is only 10 watts per channel but this is more than enough for me.

receiver