sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 10, 2023 11:13 pm  #91

Re: New CHCH tower...

Glen,

I've really enjoyed following these updates on the new CHCH Tx site and thank you for posting.  I'm located on the east side of North York and are receiving both CITS and CHCH decently from the Flamborough site. The new antenna bearing for me is 250 degrees as opposed to 230 for the former site. Outdoor antenna is about 35' AGL and is a UHF flying arrow.  The SpecA capture of the two waveforms was taken Oct 6th. Reference is at -30.5dBm.

October 11, 2023 9:21 am  #92

This is good considering CITS was running at very low power at this point last Friday. They anticipate returning to full power by the end of this week or early next.

While the new tower is not as tall as the former Stoney Creek tower, I've been told that the ground elevation is slightly higher at the Flamborough site than it was at Stoney Creek on the escarpment.

Also keep in mind that the the new antenna is top mounted on the tower, where as the retired antenna at Stoney Creek was side mounted (it was at the top of the tower structure, just below the VHF CH 11 antenna, which was manufactured by RCA).

Evuguy -  which model of spectrum analyzer are you using for your test/measurement above?  just curious...

October 11, 2023 10:26 am  #93

They are both running off the new tower now, to confirm yes?   For me no changes in Etobicoke on indoor antenna. 

Now you will have to keep us updated on the toppling of the old tower!  

October 11, 2023 9:11 pm  #94

Yes, both CHCH and CITS are now full time on the new tower.  A colleague at CITS told me today that they think Yes TV (CITS) has resumed transmission at full power level, but they were not 100% sure of this...  so...

October 12, 2023 9:53 am  #95

Glen - The SpecA is a rather long in the tooth HP 8594E.  Per your last update, I will take another look later and see if the level has increased with CITS-DT.

October 12, 2023 10:06 am  #96

Thank-you....  looking forward to seeing it.

DM message sent to your inbox when you have a moment to check...

Last edited by Glen Warren (October 12, 2023 10:07 am)

October 12, 2023 12:43 pm  #97

Evuguy wrote:

Glen - The SpecA is a rather long in the tooth HP 8594E.  Per your last update, I will take another look later and see if the level has increased with CITS-DT.

Those older Hewlett Packard spectrum analyzers are still very nice machines.  I've got an 8592A for RF work on my bench at home.  Out of curiosity, what are you using as the antenna for taking these measurements?

October 12, 2023 1:30 pm  #98

CITS very much improved and very stable the last few days at Davenport Road & Christie St. Toronto.

October 12, 2023 2:35 pm  #99

Strong signal on the American side at Niagara Falls. No CHCH yet, I received them before from the old antenna location.

Last edited by canam2021 (October 12, 2023 2:41 pm)

October 12, 2023 3:06 pm  #100

If WBNF is on air you will likely have more trouble with CHCH now.

October 12, 2023 3:22 pm  #101

Unable to receive CITS at all here on the Bluffs. However, CHCH is very strong as before. Maybe CITS is not yet at full power?

October 12, 2023 3:27 pm  #102

No I never had trouble with WBNF. I am far enough north of Grand Island that I don't receive it plus the WBNF  signal is very directional away from Canada. I am right on the border plus I am using an antenna pointed towards Toronto-Hamilton. The only Toronto area channel I don't get is CFTO.

October 12, 2023 4:20 pm  #103

canam2021 wrote:

No I never had trouble with WBNF. I am far enough north of Grand Island that I don't receive it plus the WBNF  signal is very directional away from Canada. I am right on the border plus I am using an antenna pointed towards Toronto-Hamilton. The only Toronto area channel I don't get is CFTO.

You might need a VHF antenna for CFTO in case you dont have one. 

October 13, 2023 12:42 am  #104

So seeing a big improvement in signal strength on CITS-DT. CHCH-DT looks to have some distortion at my location.  Can't rule out frequency specific multipath from nearby buildings or a frequency response issue with my antenna.

upload image

And how an HD Home Run tuner decodes the signals:

October 13, 2023 12:50 am  #105

Plate Voltage wrote:

Evuguy wrote:

Those older Hewlett Packard spectrum analyzers are still very nice machines.  I've got an 8592A for RF work on my bench at home.  Out of curiosity, what are you using as the antenna for taking these measurements?

Agree, anything HP made in their T&M side was top quality and built to last.  The antenna is a Radio Shack UHF flying arrow, purchased in the early 90's.

October 13, 2023 8:04 am  #106

Still glitchy here in St. Catharines.   The signal breaks up, pauses for a couple of seconds every few minutes or so, about a dozen times an hour.  I never had any problems like this before last Friday. 

I've sent CHCH an email about it.

October 13, 2023 6:22 pm  #107

Dave The OTA guy wrote:

Still glitchy here in St. Catharines. The signal breaks up, pauses for a couple of seconds every few minutes or so, about a dozen times an hour. I never had any problems like this before last Friday.

I've noticed this as well at an increased rate of occurrence. Like right now, during the evening newscast, the video image just froze, and the audio dropped... no break-up or mpeg blocking... then the signal dropped to black and my set came up with the no/low signal prompt...  30 seconds later and it was back.

And now during the weather throw... more freezing and break-up. 

But what I am regularly seeing is that the program is normal and unimpaired, and then when they go to the first commercial the breakup occurs, especially if the first spot is a ID or commercial spot with a  white field with some logos on it.    To me it seems to be more feed/encoding related, not transmission multi path (but I could be wrong)..

October 22, 2023 10:25 am  #108

Earlier this past week, the tower crew prepared the Gin Pole for removal from the new tower structure. The Gin Pole came down on Tuesday.
Then the crew were able to install the final Torsion Arm section on the tower.  This was not possible before with the Gin Pole on this face of the tower.

The Gin Pole is really a large section of rigid box truss which holds tower and antenna sections in place while they are being lifted and secured in place as the tower structure rises. The real muscle comes from the diesel powered ground winch. It has a series of steel cables which run out from the winch and up and through the Gin Pole to a top mounted pulley. The cable then comes back down and is attached to the structure section to be raised.

October 23, 2023 1:59 pm  #109

Up and running fully and the old tower shut down?

October 23, 2023 2:26 pm  #110

Kinda half and half...

UHF TV is fully transitioned to the new tower in Flamborough, no TV transmission from Stoney Creek.

FM Radio is still full power from the Stoney Creek tower... Corus is not transmitting (yet) from Flamborough.

Cellular services are also currently originating from Stoney Creek as well...  There is no plan for cellular to be on the new tower at Flamborough,

October 23, 2023 7:36 pm  #111

Whatever the situation it's much worse today during the news at 6.  Pixelation,  the picture flashes then goes black, sound doesn't cut out though.

October 23, 2023 9:03 pm  #112

Yes, I can confirm seeing this as well...  during Mad about You, and their 6pm newscast...   The problem appears to be isolated to CHCH only. Whatever the issue, it was not apparent on CITS / YES TV.

October 23, 2023 9:14 pm  #113

I saw this on Friday night watching "The 2010s" OTA on CHCH. I thought it was with my antenna rotor not quite being set towards Hamilton. It was very disconcerting and weird. But fortunately, 98% of the show was viewable and it didn't destroy the experience. But it was something I'd never seen before on any over-the-air digital channel.

October 24, 2023 9:26 pm  #114

It appears that the situation *could* be fixed:  there were no issues tonight during the news, but let's wait and see what happens tomorrow...

November 9, 2023 12:08 pm  #115

Any other updates on this and the dismantle of old tower?

November 11, 2023 10:48 pm  #116

markow202 wrote:

Any other updates on this and the dismantle of old tower?

Yes, the tower contractor has moved onto the Stoney Creek site, and is setting up to start removal of both the recently retired UHF TV side mount antenna, and the FM radio antenna structure below the UHF (it was also side mounted)

The original analog VHF radome cover will also be removed from the top of the tower...  

As well, the original Bell Microwave "H" tower and the fence compound around it, has already been cleared from the site.

No idea for the timeline, but I had heard earlier that one of the cellular tenants was staying operational on the tower until early next spring.....

November 12, 2023 8:00 pm  #117

Hi Glen,

First of all I’m new here but very interested in this operation. You seem to be the expert here so I’m curious what I’m looking at in the photos provided. I labeled what I believe to be correct, if not don’t hesitate to correct. I visited the Stoney Creek site and got some pictures of the work started on dismantling the tower. I’m assuming the yellow structure is a gin pole being used to hoist down the TV antenna and FM radome equipment? Will they remove equipment first then the tower?

Thank you

November 12, 2023 9:32 pm  #118

Wow!!!  The contractor moves quick!...  The Gin Pole was assembled and laying on the ground on Friday afternoon...  I assumed they were done for the day and would pick up on Monday. Looks like they were working on Saturday to raise the Gin Pole.

Yes, the major components that you have labelled in your third picture are correct.  The retired analog RCA VHF Hi antenna / radome is the structure on the top of the tower mount and has the lightening rod assembly on the top. 

CHCH had previously removed the VHF antenna elements inside the radome after they transitioned to full time ATSC transmission on the side mounted UHF antenna. The main purpose of this was to reduce unnecessary weight on the tower.

Also, in your second pic, the tower rigger and the yellow work bucket are at the area of the AM/FM Radio STL dishes...  the work bucket is at the Ice Guard just above the two stacked open grid dishes. The dishes don't look too big, but they are actually about 8 ft. in diameter, and the open grid element design allows allows air/wind to pass through the dish, This reduces wind loading on the dish, mount and tower.

A former Chief Engineer with CHML/CKDS told me of the origin of using the CHCH Tower as the relay for first 900 CHML and later CKDS FM.  At the time the CHML AM TX site was east of Stoney Creek at Vine Mount  Like most radio stations at the time, the studio Prgm feed was delivered to the transmitter by balanced 5Kohm or 8Kohm Telco pairs...  This was a scheduled tariff cost from Bell Tel, and rates were approved by the CRTC...  In the early 80s when spectrum was being reallocated for use by  broadcasters for ENG, and STL uses, CHML had the feed terminate at the CHCH tower, and then they did a STL shot to the Vine Mount CHML transmitter site.  They save a bit of coin by reducing the distance of the telco circuits. 

When CKDS re-launched on 95.3 in 1967, the FM transmitter and antenna was at the CHCH Stoney Creek site.  Ken Soble's estate held controlling interest in both operations.

Then later in the mid 80s when CHML/CKDS moved to the new studio centre on Main St. W., they added a dual STL link from the new radio studios to the CHCH tower site. This eliminated the monthly circuit costs for both stations CKDS FM, and 900 CHML. Later when the new CHML transmitter site was constructed near Westover, the CHML signal was still relayed off of the CHCH tower, but the signal was shot on a new link from Stoney Creek to Westover. 

November 12, 2023 9:59 pm  #119

Thank you so much for all that information Glen, very informative! I plan on documenting this whole removal process as much as I can (mainly on weekends when free).

November 13, 2023 12:39 pm  #120

Very good info! Will be cool to follow the dismantle of the legendary landmark.   But, why remove these parts if the tower will just come down anyways?