sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 10, 2023 7:14 am  #1

Are These Some Of The Worst Radio Call Letters Ever?

I know many radio stations no longer bother to utter their call letters in lieu of branding (like Virgin 99.9 or Jack FM etc.) but when they do, you have to wonder what they were thinking when they accept certain combinations that don't exactly sound great to listeners. 

Sauga 960's CKNT has been cited as an example, although I've never heard them refer to those four letters on air. 

Which brings us to Australia. In case you're not familiar with their protocols, most stations in that country start with a 2 or a 3, followed by letters. Which is why there are places like "2DAY," which - like CHUM - is highly promotable.

So you have to wonder what they were thinking when a community radio station in a place called Broken Hill got stuck with the call letters 2DRY. Yes, it's too dry. Imagine trying to promote that your outlet has interesting programming when it's called 2DRY. 

I'm not sure why, but I find that hilarious. Why they decided to stick with those calls is beyond me, but I'll give them this - it's certainly memorable! 

2DRY FM

October 10, 2023 11:31 pm  #2

Re: Are These Some Of The Worst Radio Call Letters Ever?

Broken Hill is in the desert hence too dry 

Last edited by mjf (October 10, 2023 11:31 pm)

October 10, 2023 11:48 pm  #3

Re: CKNT: Benefit of the doubt if there's already a CINT, CJNT, CHNT or CFNT,  the second letter of a Canadian radio station is restricted to select letters only.  
I get that NT is intended to perhaps mean News Talk.
That may be what the owner was aiming for.
Unfortunately,  there may not have been any other LEGAL second letter available. 

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

October 11, 2023 6:23 am  #4

Radiowiz wrote:

Re: CKNT: Benefit of the doubt if there's already a CINT, CJNT, CHNT or CFNT,  the second letter of a Canadian radio station is restricted to select letters only.  
I get that NT is intended to perhaps mean News Talk.
That may be what the owner was aiming for.
Unfortunately,  there may not have been any other LEGAL second letter available. 

If "NT" was the only criteria, they could still have gone another way. According to the CRTC index of available call letters, "CFNT" and "CINT" were both available.

It's the "K" in their calls that causes the association with that "other" word which I won't mention here. They likely could have insisted on something else, but since they almost never refer to their assigned calls on air, I'm not sure why the emphasis on "NT" would matter.  

And since they already brand themselves as Sauga 960, they could have even asked for CIMI - the "MI" potentially standing for Mississauga.