sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 10, 2023 9:54 am  #1

Why Do They Still Insist On Doing This In Radio Commercials?

I heard a spot on CFRB Tuesday in which Jim Richards was touting the services of a wildlife control company. At the end of the copy, he gave a phone number. My question is: why? What's the point of giving out a business number if you can't possibly remember it as it goes by you at 100 miles an hour on the radio? 

Some more creative advertisers have figured this out a long time ago. They've made their phone numbers part of their jingle or identity. Think 967-1111 or the alarm company whose phone digits are pretty brilliant: 1-866-247-4999, which incorporates the "24 hours a day/7 days a week" with the price tag "For $9.99." But those are few and far between. 

The one Richards gave out in his spot was gone from my brain about half a second after he said it. To be fair, he did give out a website, which also wasn't great, but words tend to linger longer in your memory than a string of otherwise meaningless numbers. 

So why do it? I remember talking to a copywriter once and he said it's because the sponsor insists on it, feeling getting the phone number out is essential to picking up business. But unless you're listening to the radio with a pen and paper by your side, I don't see the point. And I wonder why they still do this. 

October 10, 2023 10:59 am  #2

Re: Why Do They Still Insist On Doing This In Radio Commercials?

You're right it does seem a little pointless but many local advertisers especially in smaller markets want their phone and or address in the ad. Sometimes a way to get around this, especially for a new business, is to make reference to another business that everyone knows the location of.  Eg. "So come see us at our new location on King St. right across from the Delta Inn."

I doubt that people have ever called much from a radio ad running a phone number, unless it was a 1-800 set up where you had to call to order.  If the listener is interested they might write down the number or website address after hearing the ad a few times.  If they don't know the spelling of a company they could google the service.  

October 10, 2023 11:05 am  #3

What's even more annoying are ads that repeat the phone number several times.  Once, maybe twice, is enough.

I generally consider the trustworthiness of an ad based on the number of times they repeat the phone number.  More than 2, and the scam radar kicks in.

October 10, 2023 2:13 pm  #4

Some of them try to make it easier by using the phone number to make a word like1 800 Coffins. It might be easier to remember but it's always awkward to dial.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

October 10, 2023 3:21 pm  #5

Peter the K wrote:

What's even more annoying are ads that repeat the phone number several times.  Once, maybe twice, is enough.

I generally consider the trustworthiness of an ad based on the number of times they repeat the phone number.  More than 2, and the scam radar kicks in.

A lot of the ads that run on the TV news channel simulcasts on SiriusXM are like that. Major red flags!

Last edited by ED1 (October 10, 2023 3:21 pm)

October 11, 2023 1:25 am  #6

"They" don't isist on doing it.
Ask anyone in the copy department and they'll tell you how much they hate phone numbers in commercials.  Uneducated advertisers want the phone number in.

October 11, 2023 2:36 am  #7

RadioActive wrote:

Some more creative advertisers have figured this out a long time ago. They've made their phone numbers part of their jingle or identity. Think 967-1111 or the alarm company whose phone digits are pretty brilliant: 1-866-247-4999, which incorporates the "24 hours a day/7 days a week" with the price tag "For $9.99." But those are few and far between. 

Other successful businesses simply have the same number over and over. 
Hurt in a car? Call William Mattar!  444 4444  (also the benefit of a rhyming name)

Or how about putting the name of the business in the phone number?  
(Got Junk? Call 310-JUNK! No area code required!)

Last edited by Radiowiz (October 11, 2023 6:06 am)

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

October 11, 2023 8:52 pm  #8

Listening to Sirius/XM channels that DO have commercials, the ads that mention phone numbers or websites repeat them three times.

Always.

Quite annoying and something I would never do in any radio ad I wrote and/or produced unless I made the entire commercial about it.