sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 9, 2023 11:02 am  #1

10 Great Movies About Radio Personalities

Can't say I've heard about all of these before, but I've seen a few of them. They left out others that could be listed, including "FM," which had a great cast and a great soundtrack. Not to mention the infamous "Play Misty For Me," with Clint Eastwood. 

10 Great Movies About Radio Personalities

October 9, 2023 11:30 am  #2

Re: 10 Great Movies About Radio Personalities

Also

Play Misty For Me.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

October 9, 2023 11:42 am  #3

Surprised they didn't include "Tune In Tomorrow", a 1990s film based on the novel "Aunt Julia and the Scriptwriter" by Nobel Prize winning author Mario Vargas Llosa. The novel was set in South America, while the movie shifts the setting to New Orleans in the 1950s. It featured an outstanding performance by Peter Falk, with capable assistance from Barbara Hershey and Keanu Reeves. Although it didn't do much at the box office, it's remained a favourite of mine for many years. Here's a sample:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5WJAwNiA7_M&list=PLDJ46LuDzJdCBz0hls-uzLO6nPjce0KBz

October 9, 2023 12:23 pm  #4

In the early 1970s, there was a Canadian film, directed by David Acomba, titled "Slipstream" about a reclusive DJ in Alberta that a couple of listeners tried to find.  It starred Luke Askew. 

Pretty sure this movie was made on a showstring budget because my business/creative partner at the time, Bill McDonald and I wrote and produced a radio commercial for this movie in 1973 and we were offered a tiny percentage of the film as payment for the commercial...so in other words, we did it for free.  

This "Slipstream" is not to be confused with the 1989 sci-fi film,  also called "Slipstream", starring Bill Paxton and Mark Hamill.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slipstream_(1973_film

Last edited by Doug Thompson (October 9, 2023 12:23 pm)

October 9, 2023 1:31 pm  #5

This thread actually jolted my memory about a very weird radio-related film that came out in the 50s but I saw in those pre-cable TV days when stations would show a "late late movie" around midnight. It was called "The Next Voice You Hear," and it was tremendously bizarre and definitely a creature of its time. 

James Whitmore and future First Lady Nancy Reagan (then Davis) starred as the typical American couple who became increasingly intrigued by a strange phenomenon on their radio. Their regular programming was interrupted on every channel by the supposed voice of God, who came on the air at the exact same time every night for a week, with the exception of Sunday. (Because on the 7th day He rested!) 

Those in North America heard the voice speaking English. For the people in France, it came out in French, while Tokyo radio listeners heard it at the exact same time in Japanese. It even came over the radio in a pilot's cockpit. The conceit of the film was that the movie audience never actually heard the voice, but some character would inevitably repeat the daily divine "message." 

I have no real memory of how this thing ended but the odd plotline has stayed with me all these years. It really was incredibly strange and I'm pretty sure today's audiences would never go for it. But in an era of white picket fences, affordable suburban bungalows, a nuclear family and Joseph McCarthy, it proved fairly popular. 

October 9, 2023 1:50 pm  #6

They didn't list it, but American Graffiti could certainly be considered a film that's very much radio related, especially with Wolfman Jack's star-making appearance in the movie. 

October 9, 2023 7:44 pm  #7

RadioActive wrote:

Can't say I've heard about all of these before, but I've seen a few of them. They left out others that could be listed, including "FM," which had a great cast and a great soundtrack.

FM, which admittedly had a great cast and soundtrack and a few funny lines here and there, ultimately struck me as being kind of silly. The whole premise of "We don't want these big bad sponsors bringing money into the station and making it sound corporate" comes off as seeming somewhat laughable and pretentious, especially when the station is playing the likes of Linda Ronstadt, The Doobie Brothers and The Eagles, just to name a few. (Some of my favourite artists, but there's no denying they epitomized corporate rock in the '70s).

Also, it could give people that weren't in the biz the wrong impression as to how things worked; namely, you can be a cool, laid-back rock jock and do whatever the hell you want, and your mass of followers will always be there to save you. I'm pretty sure Jeff Dugan's rogue antics would've gotten his sorry ass tossed out the door, even back in 1978.

PJ

ClassicHitsOnline.com...The place where all the cool tunes hang out!

October 9, 2023 9:24 pm  #8

Concur with American Graffiti, Play Misty For Me and FM but I think the biggest omission for the list is Private Parts.

October 10, 2023 9:30 am  #9

The Vast of Night is a tremendous little sci-fi film (budget was $700K)- available on Amazon Prime.  Pontypool is a great Canadian horror film.  It’s essentially about a zombie virus that spreads through the English language.  The story centres around the radio station in the small town of Pontypool Ontario.

October 10, 2023 6:14 pm  #10

And then there's 1979's "American Hot Wax" starring Tim McIntire as legendary DJ Alan Freed. 
It also starred Jay Leno.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Hot_Wax

October 10, 2023 7:12 pm  #11

This radio related movie is my favourite since I grew up during the last years of network radio and the dawn of TV.
it is Woody Allen's "Radio Days".and is based on his own childhood and how he relied on radio to provide an escape for him from his dysfunctional family life.  Very funny and heartwarming film.

October 10, 2023 7:21 pm  #12

American Graffiti brings back a great memory.  Just after Q-107 was put on the air, Dave Charles our program director called an early afternoon jocks meeting.  He said to us, "OK follow me."  He led all of us across the street to see American Graffiti.  He bought us all popcorn.  He felt it was important for all of us to see about Alan Freed.

Play Misty For Me still scares the hell out of me.  Thank you, Mr. Eastwood.  Jessica Walter was someone to remember.

Last edited by John D (October 10, 2023 7:22 pm)

October 11, 2023 6:49 am  #13

Doug Thompson wrote:

[img][IMG]
http://i64.tinypic.com/24kz861.jpg[/img][/img]

Hi Doug, I've mentioned this before but nothing has changed - is it possible to get your signature cleaned up? You've got dual IMG tag sets, the first problem, but the large one is the Tinypic.com image is not found anymore so it's just a block of ineffective signature tags and a dead URL at this point - better to clear it out entirely, or perhaps replace it with a working host image (IMGBB.com or Post Images are both decent and support Sowny hot-linking)?