sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 3, 2023 8:29 am  #1

Steve Paikin Gets A Fill-In Show At AM640

TVO's "The Agenda" host will be filling in for Kelly Cutrara on Thursday, from noon-3 PM. I'm not sure how much radio experience Paikin has in his background, but he's more than qualified - he's been doing the Q&A with guests on CICA for years and is probably a great candidate for occasional fill-in duty that I've noticed AM640 is quietly putting together. (Former mayoral candidate/newsman Anthony Furey and Toronto Star columnist Ed Keenan are some of the others, along with longtime stalwart Arlene Bynon.)

I'm guessing this might be a rare talk radio shot for Paikin, who would probably be too busy prepping for The Agenda most days to make this a full time gig. But he's also smart and informed, and I'll be interested to hear how he does in this one-shot role. 

October 3, 2023 8:49 am  #2

Re: Steve Paikin Gets A Fill-In Show At AM640

RadioActive wrote:

I'm not sure how much radio experience Paikin has in his background, but he's more than qualified

Didn't Steve Paikin co-host a show with Bruce Dowbiggin on the FAN briefly in the 90's? I think it was called "The Bullpen" or something?

October 3, 2023 9:03 am  #3

I don't recall that but I'm sure someone here can confirm. Somehow, when I think of Paikin, sports isn't the first thing that comes to mind, but he's a well rounded guy so it wouldn't surprise me if he knows about that subject, as well. 

October 3, 2023 9:10 am  #4

As Steve's unofficial biographer I can confirm he had a show on The Fan 590 with Bruce Dowbiggin in 1996. It was called Double Play and they sold their own ads. 

I actually reunited Steve and Bruce recently for a thorough Frank Sinatra and Tony Bennett retrospective.
https://www.torontomike.com/2022/03/frank-v-tony-toronto-miked-podcast-episode-1010/

October 3, 2023 9:23 am  #5

torontomike wrote:

As Steve's unofficial biographer I can confirm he had a show on The Fan 590 with Bruce Dowbiggin in 1996. It was called Double Play and they sold their own ads.

Thank you TM, I knew the show name referenced a baseball term. I was in my teens at the time but I seem to recall I thought the show was pretty good.

October 3, 2023 9:27 am  #6

Pretty certain Steve was on the air with Michael Landsberg at U of T, too.

October 5, 2023 10:43 am  #7

Just a reminder that Paikin's latest foray into radio happens Thursday morning from noon-3PM, if you're curious to hear how he does as host. 

October 5, 2023 12:48 pm  #8

Paikin brought on his former Fan 590 co-host Bruce Dowbiggin for a segment on his show. Interesting that he would dip into his past to discuss the present, which includes the dismal Jays' playoff performance. He noted the old show, which as noted in this thread was called "Double Play," was partially named for the hosts, D for Dowbiggin and P for Paikin. 

He also mentioned that because TVO workers are still on strike, it gives him time to do the show. You have to wonder if this walkout drags on, whether he'll be doing more radio fill-ins in the near future.