sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 18, 2023 11:23 am  #1

Could This New TV Standard Also Create Dozens Of New Radio Stns.?

There's still a lot we don't know about ATSC 3.0, supposedly the latest and the great standard for HDTV that would replace the 1.0 system. It would allow for 4K television (good) and digital rights management (bad) that could prevent you from recording anything off over-the-air TV if the show owners didn't want you to.  

But this is the first time I've seen this applied to radio. According to the linked article, the new standard could be adapted for the audio side, potentially allowing up to 50 radio stations squeezed onto a single TV signal. If that were put into cars, the range of radio - and the endless problems with an overcrowded FM dial - would potentially disappear.

A look into our future or pie in the sky? Read the story and you can decide.

If ATSC 3.0 broadcasts pack 50 radio stations in one TV channel, I’m all ears

September 18, 2023 11:25 am  #2

Re: Could This New TV Standard Also Create Dozens Of New Radio Stns.?

Technically, sure. But they wouldn't be free. A premium SXM competitor, maybe.

Like most things ATSC 3.0: Just because it can, doesn't mean it will.

September 18, 2023 11:45 am  #3

September 18, 2023 12:29 pm  #4

Neat. Still little-to-no demand.

September 18, 2023 1:08 pm  #5

If I am understanding this correctly, (and likely I'm not), Toronto's five or six OTA TV channels, if they were to adopt ATSC 3.0 would make it technically possible for about 300 new off air radio stations in Toronto?

True this would make for tons of alternate format stations, and many hobby broadcast outlets but how would this be workable?  Or does that really matter?

In a way we already have the same thing with radio stations on line with formats never heard on commercial radio, Many of these run by individuals.  No broadcast restrictions and no license required. A few of our members are already doing this with their own on line radio. 

Last edited by paterson1 (September 18, 2023 1:13 pm)

September 18, 2023 1:20 pm  #6

I guess it's all in how it's done. If the public airwaves are being used (as free TV signals are) would the CRTC allow stations to charge for it or allow an encrypted signal? And could they get it installed in new cars, where it would make the most sense? 

Still lots of questions to be answered about something that, let's face it, may never even happen. But it's one way to end the "no more room on FM" problem.

September 18, 2023 1:29 pm  #7

Anything that requires a new radio is a non-starter.

Everyone already has a device that can play any audio source in the world.

Last edited by RadioAaron (September 18, 2023 2:32 pm)

September 18, 2023 2:03 pm  #8

This might allow all the radio stations in a Metro area to cover the whole area equally well. In Detroit WJR AM and WOMC FM often get out over 100 km yet some radio stations only cover less than half of the Metro. This is very noticeable at night with some of the AM broadcasts.

Make this feature standard in all cars and quite easy to find in the stores. If that does not happen look at AM Stereo and HD Radio to see what will happen in the future. 

September 18, 2023 2:05 pm  #9

I can already get any number of "radio stations", virtually anywhere, using my cell phone or tablet

September 18, 2023 5:04 pm  #10

AM HD can also work. CHLO 530 is doing it. Sounds great from where I tune in Hamilton. (I'm old enough to have heard AM stereo when I was young, so HD is the next stereo step up for AM in my opinion)

September 18, 2023 5:11 pm  #11

DOPEfm wrote:

AM HD can also work. CHLO 530 is doing it. Sounds great from where I tune in Hamilton. (I'm old enough to have heard AM stereo when I was young, so HD is the next stereo step up for AM in my opinion)

AM HD was tried in the US and made an absolute mess of the band, especially at night.

It’s fine for a smaller signal at an odd frequency like 530, but would be problematic for non HD radios with closely-spaced stations like 590/640/680 or 1010/1050.