sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 17, 2023 9:17 pm  #1

Rosalie Trombley Statue Unveiled In Windsor

It's been months, if not years, in the planning, but a new statue honouring the late and legendary former music director of CKLW has finally been unveiled in Windsor. Trombley's daughter is impressed at how well it came out and says memories of her mom extend beyond just the magnificent music.

"She gave away 45s on Halloween. She didn't give out candy. So our house was popular. People knew what my mom did. She was a bit avant-garde, she wore jeans, she wore sneakers, she smoked, she drove a Volkswagen Beetle and she raised three kids all on her own."

And boy, could she pick the hits. 

Rosalie Trombley Statue Unveiled

September 17, 2023 10:58 pm  #2

Re: Rosalie Trombley Statue Unveiled In Windsor

As a former radio music director, I’ve always wanted to know how great programmers like Rosalie, Nevin Grant and many other well-known radio MDs and PDs know what’s going to be a hit.   

Is it the musical notes forming a certain musical phrase that just sound so good that it creates a “catchy piece of ear candy” that you can’t help but love what you hear?   

Is it the words of the song that make a great story that you just love the song?

Is it a combination of great lyrics and music?

Just curious as to what makes the perfect hit record.

September 18, 2023 5:36 am  #3

Folks, here is the Youtube link to the full unveiling ceremony.  What a great day!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=x71eHiX3GE8

September 19, 2023 7:02 am  #4

Rosalie Trombley now has her own posthumous website. It's not terribly extensive, but the best page is probably the list of famous songs she helped turned into hits. You can see them here

September 19, 2023 12:15 pm  #5

I was there for the weekend, amazing tribute!