sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 14, 2023 10:27 pm  #1

Online Find: Jim Brady's Obit Pays Tribute To A Great T.O. DJ

As most here are very well aware, the great Jim Brady (aka "Brady In The Morning") ruled the airwaves on CFTR in the 70s and 80s, and helped the station finally beat CHUM in the ratings. 

He left us way too soon in 2014 at the young age of just 67, cancer silencing that great deep voice. 

As so often happens on the Internet, I accidentally stumbled on his obituary from nine years ago, and I stopped to read it. It not only traced his career but captured the personality of the man I was lucky enough to work with at CFTR for several years. 

There is a lot of ego in this business but Jim "Brady" Felton was always pleasant, kind, approachable and tremendously funny. What you heard on air was pretty much what you got when the mic was off. I remember occasionally feeding him a line or two and when he used it on his show, I was thrilled. Besides being a co-worker, I was also a big fan of his talent. So when he used something I made up, it was an honour.

The obit traces his radio career and is very well written. And it also explains the origin of his famous sign off, "Come get me mother, I'm through!" I always thought it was just a clever line. But it turns out, it was based on reality. From the last line of the summary of his life, in typical Brady fashion:

"Jim Brady Felton ended his shows with a line that came from a time when he was being potty-trained. His mother put him on the toilet and then there was an unexpected phone call. "I sat there for a pretty long time yelling, "come get me mother, I'm through." With that, Jim Brady Felton requested that his life end with that line, "Come get me mother, I'm through!" Hopefully she's still not on the phone."

He's been gone a long time, but rest in peace Jim. There were few others quite like you. 

James "Brady" Felton obit

September 15, 2023 6:43 am  #2

Re: Online Find: Jim Brady's Obit Pays Tribute To A Great T.O. DJ

They don't mention it in the obit, but didn't Brady also work at both CJCL 1430 and what was then CKAR 1350 in Oshawa? I seem to recall he wasn't at either one of them for long after 'TR didn't renew his contract. 

September 15, 2023 3:48 pm  #3

Also CFGM 1320 Richmond Hill (late ‘80s).

September 15, 2023 4:13 pm  #4

Completely forgotten that one! Thanks for the reminder.