sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 12, 2023 11:02 pm  #1

Weather Network App/Website Down. Hit By Cyber Security Hack

The Weather Network Channel is on as usual but their website and app have been down since late Monday.
More from iPhone In Canada...https://www.iphoneincanada.ca/2023/09/12/weather-network-cybersecurity-incident/

Last edited by paterson1 (September 12, 2023 11:03 pm)

September 12, 2023 11:49 pm  #2

Re: Weather Network App/Website Down. Hit By Cyber Security Hack

App loads for me, it’s still serving ads. But barely any weather info other than the current temperature.

September 13, 2023 12:49 am  #3

Thanks for the info. Wife has been complaining all day she couldn't get it on her ipad.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

September 13, 2023 2:45 am  #4

I hope the sun will come out tomorrow.

September 13, 2023 3:05 am  #5

Looks to me as though it's now rendering a more mobile-first looking website, even on the desktop

Cheers,
Jody Thornton

September 13, 2023 9:02 am  #6

I noticed The Weather Network was down yesterday and figured it was a glitch.
I checked back this morning and it's back, but still buggy. It looks like they tried to update the look of the site and are having trouble.
As usual, this "upgrade" looks to be much worse and harder to navigate than the original. I hope they get their act together.

September 13, 2023 9:19 am  #7

Tq345 wrote:

I checked back this morning and it's back, but still buggy. It looks like they tried to update the look of the site and are having trouble.
As usual, this "upgrade" looks to be much worse and harder to navigate than the original. I hope they get their act together.

Looks like the website is just rendering the app, which would be a temporary fix while they restore the site.

September 14, 2023 8:56 am  #8

RadioAaron wrote:

Tq345 wrote:

Looks like the website is just rendering the app, which would be a temporary fix while they restore the site.

The site seems to be working this morning. But as I said, the upgrade is a downgrade as far as I'm concerned. I visit the site daily for the seven day forecast (I know, it's futile as meteorologists don't really know what's coming beyond the next 24 hours)
The seven day used to be on the home page nicely set out horizontally so you could see the whole week at a glance.
Now it's on a separate page and listed vertically so you have to scroll and scroll and scroll through the week and through multiple ads of course.
The navigation is a real pain, so it looks like I'll have to find a new weather information source.

September 14, 2023 9:08 am  #9

Try the Environment Canada Toronto weather page and see if that's better. If you're not in T.O., there's a list of other locations here.  

September 14, 2023 9:19 am  #10

Tq345 wrote:

RadioAaron wrote:

Tq345 wrote:

The site seems to be working this morning. But as I said, the upgrade is a downgrade as far as I'm concerned. I visit the site daily for the seven day forecast (I know, it's futile as meteorologists don't really know what's coming beyond the next 24 hours)
The seven day used to be on the home page nicely set out horizontally so you could see the whole week at a glance.
Now it's on a separate page and listed vertically so you have to scroll and scroll and scroll through the week and through multiple ads of course.
The navigation is a real pain, so it looks like I'll have to find a new weather information source.

What you're looking at is not intentional. They were hacked and they've temporarily used their app to power the website. The website as you liked it will be back. It takes a long time to restore an entire business from backups.

September 15, 2023 8:41 am  #11

RadioAaron wrote:

Tq345 wrote:

RadioAaron wrote:

What you're looking at is not intentional. They were hacked and they've temporarily used their app to power the website. The website as you liked it will be back. It takes a long time to restore an entire business from backups.

Thanks for the info RadioAaron. That's fair enough. I'll keep checking back and hope the original format returns.

September 15, 2023 12:13 pm  #12

Tq345 wrote:

Thanks for the info RadioAaron. That's fair enough. I'll keep checking back and hope the original format returns. 

It's "mostly" back now. This morning the layout was familiar but some of the field data was not there yet. By noontime it was looking much more as it did.