sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 14, 2023 9:12 am  #1

CTV - Like Most Competitors - Unveils Reality Heavy Fall Slate

The list of its new shows is here. Just don't expect too much in the way of a lot of new comedies or dramas, thanks to the ongoing U.S. writers and actors strikes.

Also worth noting - the network has confirmed the 4th season of Transplant, the rare Canadian program also airing on NBC, will be its last. Odd that they would cancel a show that's doing well in the ratings and got picked up down south. 

September 14, 2023 9:59 am  #2

Re: CTV - Like Most Competitors - Unveils Reality Heavy Fall Slate

At least with the strike, CTV's domestic prime time shows are getting better timeslots.  W5 Friday evening at 10pm is not a bad idea.  A better time than Saturday's at 7pm.

A CTV spokesperson mentioned that Transplant was intended to be a 4 season series maximum.  Whether that is true or not is questionable.  The show has done well here but very average to low ratings on NBC, but does have a small and loyal fanbase in the US. 

I think the best Canadian drama is Global's Departure.  Surprised no US OTA network has picked that one up.  But if the strike continues, who knows?  People are going to get tired of game shows and reality programming in prime time.  The already poor ratings are reflecting this.  Watch for more sports. 

Last edited by paterson1 (September 14, 2023 10:00 am)

September 14, 2023 11:07 am  #3

I would have thought that worldwide - including the U.S. - sales of Transplant would help to ensure its renewal. Apparently not. Perhaps the budget, including a raise for the actors, is too much. Year five is when that generally kicks in and other shows have been cancelled to let producers avoid it. Otherwise, it's odd that perhaps their most successful and well-known non-reality program is getting kicked to the curb.

Departure is on Peacock in the U.S. and some of its production money comes from the NBC-owned service. So that may be why it's not on OTA anywhere. It would certainly be up to NBC to decide if it shows on regular TV in the U.S. and my guess is Peacock doesn't have as much original programming as some of its streaming competitors. So it's been less likely to give the public a free peek. 

It just completed its third season. I enjoyed all of them and hope there will be more. (Although, they've done plane, train and now ferry disasters. How many more major modes of transport that carry more than a hundred people are left?)

September 14, 2023 1:46 pm  #4

RadioActive wrote:

It just completed its third season. I enjoyed all of them and hope there will be more. (Although, they've done plane, train and now ferry disasters. How many more major modes of transport that carry more than a hundred people are left?)

A marathon but maybe too real especially if broadcast in the states.

September 14, 2023 3:08 pm  #5

Funny idea, but the show surrounds investigators who look into accidents involving motorized means of transportation. Not sure if a marathon would work, unless they're all on e-bikes!

September 14, 2023 5:02 pm  #6

I could be wrong but I thought there was an optional 5th year in contracts and it was after 5 years when new negotiations and increased wages would happen putting up costs considerably.  This was why many felt Global's successful Private Eyes was cancelled after 5 seasons. 

That is likely right about Departure on Peacock.  As mentioned, Departure is one of their few original scripted programs. Peacock is heavily reliant on day old programming from the mother network.  Maybe they will do the reverse, eventually repeat the series on NBC. 

To me Transplant makes more sense to wrap up after 4 years.  The refugee situation of Bash proving himself as a qualified doctor can't continue year after year.  He has stick handled most of the obstacles and it is logical for the series to wrap up.  The 4th or if they changed their minds on a 5th year could set up something else with another totally different storyline. 

Departure would be easier to continue with other variations of situations and disasters that happen all the time. 

Last edited by paterson1 (September 14, 2023 5:03 pm)