sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 5, 2023 8:57 pm  #1

Your Hometown Radio Begins September 11

I thought 1220 CFAJ was already fully on-air.  Apparently, things kick into gear next Monday, whatever that entails
https://www.classic1220.ca/

Cheers,
Jody Thornton

September 5, 2023 8:59 pm  #2

Re: Your Hometown Radio Begins September 11

It entails a pretty great logo, at least.

September 5, 2023 9:09 pm  #3

I tuned in, but all I can hear is the sound of money being burned.

Glad it's not mine.

September 5, 2023 10:01 pm  #4

Don't tell me the station that has never played a single paid commercial, done even one weather forecast or had any real announcers on its airwaves for over three years is finally going to actually do it properly. Is Pinocchio finally becoming a real boy?

I'll believe it once I hear it and not a moment sooner. 

And by the way, why wouldn't you sign on the day after Labour Day, the traditional symbolic time when everything gets back to normal? It's the perfect date for that.

Who wants their first broadcast day to be associated with September 11th, one of the most infamous days in modern history? Somebody over there isn't thinking. 

September 5, 2023 10:15 pm  #5

I found this on a hidden webpage of theirs. No longer a secret on who their morning team will be. Has anyone ever heard of either one of them?

There is a lot of copy on their still not officially active "About Us" page, but after a short paragraph informing listeners about the new 1220, it goes into an extensive history of CHSC, the defunct station that used to occupy the frequency. Not sure that the best way to introduce yourself to a new audience is to remind them of a place that was on the air successfully for several decades. 

Whoever else they're hiring (and there are promises of a news and sports team), they claim all of them work and live in the St. Catharines/Niagara area. Why, then, is their listed phone number in the 416 area code?

Here's their introduction to the new 1220:

"Welcome to CLASSIC1220, Canada’s newest radio station, serving St. Catharines, Thorold and the surrounding area in the beautiful Niagara Region.

Classic 1220, your “Hometown Radio”, offers the best music from the 1960’s, 70’s, 80’s and 90’s, and provides listeners with local news, sports, weather and traffic updates, as well as information on upcoming and current events across the area.

Our announcers all live, work and play in St. Catharines and Niagara and know the city and the Region well."

The About Us Page

September 5, 2023 10:24 pm  #6

Update to my update:

Apparently Danny Zzzz is a professional escape artist who appeared on America's Got Talent in the past. His work is somewhat inspired by the tragic death of his son in 2020. 

In a Toronto Sun column from March 2022, Joe Warmington described him as a "magician, hypnotist and escape artist," who once worked as a DJ for Giant-FM in Welland.

Escape artist Danny Zzzz risks it all in tribute to son Mason

Still not sure yet who "Stef" is, although I suspect it may be Stef Vivier, who used to do part-time afternoons on CKTB. I see her name and references have been removed from all the 610 pages and there's no longer any sign of her on their website.

September 6, 2023 12:52 am  #7

Stef Mizzi and Danny Zzzz (not sure how it's pronounced).
Most recently they co-hosted the Giant FM morning show. I noticed last week they were no longer on the website.

September 6, 2023 7:01 am  #8

Thanks for that update. I've heard of Zzzz (according to the video above, it's pronounced "Zeez") but I'm not at all familiar with her. I wonder if they're planning on doing a morning and afternoon drive crew - and everything else is simply canned automated programming. 

It will be interesting to see if there's an actual line-up for a full day. After all those years of zero spots (and no income) where are they getting the money to hire anyone? Still, any new jobs in broadcasting are better than none. So I wish them luck. As a newcomer playing music on AM, they're going to need it. 

Last edited by RadioActive (September 6, 2023 7:02 am)

September 6, 2023 7:19 am  #9

Billboard should say.

Never heard of them.
Never will.

This should be a business case study of doing everything wrong.   It has inspired a new idea - can we bet on the over/under of how long a business will last?  Someone call BetRiver

September 6, 2023 1:55 pm  #10

Brad wrote:

Stef Mizzi and Danny Zzzz (not sure how it's pronounced).
Most recently they co-hosted the Giant FM morning show. I noticed last week they were no longer on the website.

Giant FM (I think it's out of Welland, ON?) has a monstrous signal and decent classic rock playlist but their morning and afternoon shows have always been really bad...been listening to it off and on for about a decade now...not sure where they're going with their morning show now...I heard they were making a 'major' announcement this past Tues Sept 4 but no clue what it was?....anyone know?...and I see KK finally got the boot last year...I'm guessing management could only take so much of her sad puppy stories among other things...

Last edited by Johnny B (September 6, 2023 1:57 pm)

September 6, 2023 4:41 pm  #11

Well KK quit around last November. A co-worker always listened to her, and when I told her she quit a few weeks earlier, she started listening to Christmas music, so I believe it was around November. She had a post on her Facebook page about how all the women at the station have quit, been replaced, or otherwise.

I am not an insider, but it sounds like things aren't good since they got the new owners.

Their building on Forks Road in Welland is for sale, so that's another unknown situation.

Chuck LeFleur and Brian Salmon were the longtime Giant FM hosts. Chuck retired, although I still saw his name on news stories on their website, but there was recently a job posting for a news person so maybe he's gone now.

Brian then got paired with a girl named Katie, but that team didn't last long. Katie joined Giant FM from sister station Country 89. Brian then got moved to Country doing middays, and Katie was gone. Then suddenly Stef moved from Country 89 to Giant and Danny Zzzz who was doing evenings got paired with her. They weren't there long. I'm going to say less than a year, now Stef and Danny have moved to Classic 1220.

September 6, 2023 5:03 pm  #12

RadioActive wrote:

Whoever else they're hiring (and there are promises of a news and sports team), they claim all of them work and live in the St. Catharines/Niagara area. Why, then, is their listed phone number in the 416 area code

I don't think area codes matter much anymore. Most carriers offer Canada wide calling as part of their plans. I have a friend living in VIctoria who kept her 416 number.

- Not an industry person.  Just a guy with a love of Toronto radio. 

September 6, 2023 5:04 pm  #13

Leslieville Bill wrote:

RadioActive wrote:

Whoever else they're hiring (and there are promises of a news and sports team), they claim all of them work and live in the St. Catharines/Niagara area. Why, then, is their listed phone number in the 416 area code

I don't think area codes matter much anymore. Most carriers offer Canada wide calling as part of their plans. I have a friend living in VIctoria who kept her 416 number.

Same here.  My lady friend kept her 613 area code on her number.  Changing just wasn't a ... (wait for it) ... "capital" concern. 

Cheers,
Jody Thornton

September 6, 2023 5:49 pm  #14

Leslieville Bill wrote:

RadioActive wrote:

Yep. And if they're using a cloud-based service, sometimes they have limited area codes available. My colleagues and contacts all have a variety of area codes from wherever they moved here from. My wife's area code is from another province.

September 6, 2023 5:58 pm  #15

I actually think the reason is a lot different. I believe their H.Q. is in an office building somewhere in Toronto and that's why they have the 416 area code. I could be wrong, but I don't think they were originally based in St. Catharines. Maybe it will change once they "sign on."

September 6, 2023 6:02 pm  #16

RadioActive wrote:

I actually think the reason is a lot different. I believe their H.Q. is in an office building somewhere in Toronto and that's why they have the 416 area code. I could be wrong, but I don't think they were originally based in St. Catharines. Maybe it will change once they "sign on."

Very likely true, but the overall point is it doesn't really matter. I'd probably want a 905 for the studio line, if they have one, but other numbers don't matter.

September 6, 2023 7:05 pm  #17

I am moving from Collingwood to Elliot Lake later this fall. I am keeping my Collingwood phone number. I will still be in the 705 area code, just several hundred miles northwest. The FM in Elliot is now a Moose station, I don't know yet if they still have a studio there, could be just a sales office. Thank God for technology so I won't lose my Max FM 89.1. 

September 6, 2023 7:19 pm  #18

RadioAaron wrote:

RadioActive wrote:

Very likely true, but the overall point is it doesn't really matter. I'd probably want a 905 for the studio line, if they have one, but other numbers don't matter.

Perhaps. But remember this is an oldies station on AM, likely to appeal to a much older demo who may have a landline and perhaps no cell phone. If that's the case, they're telling part of their audience it will potentially cost them money to call them if they ever want to. But then again, why would they want to? I get the impression this isn't a place that will take requests. 

September 6, 2023 7:24 pm  #19

RadioActive wrote:

RadioAaron wrote:

RadioActive wrote:

Perhaps. But remember this is an oldies station on AM, likely to appeal to a much older demo who may have a landline and perhaps no cell phone. If that's the case, they're telling part of their audience it will potentially cost them money to call them if they ever want to. But then again, why would they want to? I get the impression this isn't a place that will take requests. 

I cannot for the life of me even figure out what they're trying to do. Normally I can see through these things and realize it's a billionaire's passion project, or a trojan horse for brokered or ethnic programming, but this seems like someone actually believes this will work as is. 

September 6, 2023 8:08 pm  #20

They've been working on the website for the last 24 hours. There is now a 905 number at the top of the page, and a 3-7 host Peet Dictor. Never heard of him, and all I get on google are pet doctors :D

September 6, 2023 8:16 pm  #21

Brad wrote:

They've been working on the website for the last 24 hours. There is now a 905 number at the top of the page, and a 3-7 host Peet Dictor. Never heard of him, and all I get on google are pet doctors :D

September 6, 2023 8:16 pm  #22

This is kind of getting off topic, but I was searching other Niagara stations and I noticed Darlene was gone from the 105.1 The River morning show. I think she'd only been there a year. So I assumed she would end up here. But then google found her Linkedin, and she just became the new morning co-host on Giant FM. So far, the morning show is not shown on Giant's website.

September 6, 2023 8:26 pm  #23

RadioAaron wrote:

RadioActive wrote:

RadioAaron wrote:

I cannot for the life of me even figure out what they're trying to do. Normally I can see through these things and realize it's a billionaire's passion project, or a trojan horse for brokered or ethnic programming, but this seems like someone actually believes this will work as is. 

Yes, I agree with you. I even once contacted the St. Catharines Standard, suggesting they do a story on a local radio station that had been on for three years and never had a single sponsor. Surely, I suggested, there was something odd about that. 

They never replied and they never did the story and I never called them Shirley again. I hope they'll at least cover the sign-on of a new radio station in their city. Doesn't happen every day. 

September 6, 2023 10:21 pm  #24

I chatted with a buddy -

The building is for sale.  They want a new facility that is not in the middle of no where

Kk is not accurate.   She quit because they asked her to play nice with the rest of the staff.   2 people did retire because they were the age to retire.  Nothing else.

Stef and Danny hated KK.  They took over before the new owners.  Never bought in. Left when the ratings dropped.

On the good side Al Joynes is handling weekends and has been an positive addition.

Should be fun to watch.   I remain convinced AM 1220 will generate nothing other than a huge hydro bill.

Brad wrote:

Well KK quit around last November. A co-worker always listened to her, and when I told her she quit a few weeks earlier, she started listening to Christmas music, so I believe it was around November. She had a post on her Facebook page about how all the women at the station have quit, been replaced, or otherwise.

I am not an insider, but it sounds like things aren't good since they got the new owners.

Their building on Forks Road in Welland is for sale, so that's another unknown situation.

Chuck LeFleur and Brian Salmon were the longtime Giant FM hosts. Chuck retired, although I still saw his name on news stories on their website, but there was recently a job posting for a news person so maybe he's gone now.

Brian then got paired with a girl named Katie, but that team didn't last long. Katie joined Giant FM from sister station Country 89. Brian then got moved to Country doing middays, and Katie was gone. Then suddenly Stef moved from Country 89 to Giant and Danny Zzzz who was doing evenings got paired with her. They weren't there long. I'm going to say less than a year, now Stef and Danny have moved to Classic 1220.

September 7, 2023 9:12 am  #25

RadioQuiz wrote:

Should be fun to watch. I remain convinced AM 1220 will generate nothing other than a huge hydro bill.

Really? I think they'll manage just fine. It costs a lot of money to run a radio station and nothing to turn on the radio, but anyone who can go 3 years with no ads at all and somehow stay on the air can surely do just fine with an oldies formatted station, ads  and all.  

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

September 7, 2023 9:58 am  #26

Leslieville Bill wrote:

RadioActive wrote:

In business, many are STILL paying crazy money to get a 416 number to make their business appear as if it has been around a long time. (in Toronto) 
Not everyone wants a 647 number on their signage out front, even though everyone knows 647 is a Toronto exchange.

As for 905, the sales department looks a lot more professional with a 905 number. 
Always have an area code that reflects the exact area that you are doing business in. 
It shows that you KNOW your surroundings and you are NOT in a Toronto office or some other place, clueless as to what goes on locally. 

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

September 7, 2023 12:39 pm  #27

Running from a box at the tower. Easy and relatively cheap.

Adding people, people costs and studios and all that jazz - way harder and way more expense.

Time to deal with those people?  Yikes.

Bottomline... which ever way you run that station the majority simply don't care about music on AM.  Add in Grimsby on FM, Giant of FM with local stuff, and BOOM and BOUNCE... who will say.... but I need to hear it on AM?   

Radiowiz wrote:

RadioQuiz wrote:

Should be fun to watch. I remain convinced AM 1220 will generate nothing other than a huge hydro bill.

Really? I think they'll manage just fine. It costs a lot of money to run a radio station and nothing to turn on the radio, but anyone who can go 3 years with no ads at all and somehow stay on the air can surely do just fine with an oldies formatted station, ads  and all.  

September 8, 2023 2:39 pm  #28

I wrote the St. Catharines Standard last week about the imminent debut of the station and whether it was my letter or not, they finally published a story on CFAJ.

The G.M.'s interview about how listeners would prefer hearing "Hotel California" by the Eagles in AM mono on a lousy signal rather than on the Giant-FM because of the on-air personalities doesn't really stand the smell test. But they believe there's an untapped audience for the place. 

General manager Praveen Amirtharaj promised everything from “Paul Anka to Led Zeppelin” on the playlist...“We’re targeting essentially 45-plus,” he said.

“We’re not about Taylor Swift, we’re not about the hottest band that’s out there right now. One of the taglines we’ll be using is ‘We’ll be the soundtrack of your life.’”

It sounds like only morning and afternoon drive will be actually staffed, since no new names for middays or evenings (when the signal gets vastly reduced to protect Cleveland) are mentioned in the article. And yes, it appears they will have at least one news person, as the owners raid the Giant-FM vault yet again.  

"More original content is planned for the weekends, with another former GIANT-FM broadcaster, Chuck Lafleur, heading up the news department."

New Niagara AM station launching Monday

September 9, 2023 10:59 pm  #29

They now have specific pages (not yet public but you can find them if you know where to look) on both of their major shows, morning and afternoon drive. They include new pics of the four main people involved and some bio info. And oh yeah, that 416 number has been replaced with a 905 area code and the home page seems to have removed the countdown to launch, at least for now. 

Danny Zzzz & Stef Mizzi

Peet Dictor

Another "Advertise with us" page claims to show their pattern, although clearly it's a lot different after sundown.

September 10, 2023 7:27 am  #30

I am not here to criticize but to wish them well and state in this time of declining radio related jobs, at least some people have new employment.