sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 29, 2023 4:37 pm  #1

Canadian Radio News Relocates From Facebook To Radio West Site

It appears one of my favourite go-to sites on the Internet for Canadian radio happenings has indeed gone to somewhere else. 

Canadian Radio News has been a Facebook staple for years and is run by a talented administrator named Dan Sys. It's not really a "news" site in the sense that the Toronto Star or CTV News is, but just recounts the latest changes and updates on radio across the country - kind of like SOWNY, only nationally. 

But through no fault of his own and as part of the Meta backlash to Bill C-18, he found Facebook was censoring many of his posts, making it impossible to keep his site up to date. (Perhaps it's the name "News" in his title that's confusing Zuckerberg's minions.) 

Whatever the case, he's been forced to move much of the new content to Radio West and I noticed he's posted there on Tuesday about the CRTC okaying a new station for Lunenburg, Nova Scotia. I'm assuming CRN on Facebook will not be going away, just pausing until this mess can be worked out between the Big Tech company and the government. So good luck to Mr. Sys and hopefully he'll be home on his own home page soon. 

For now, I'm not altering the link on our own home page, because I'm hoping it will all be resolved sooner than later. But the Radio West link is also there, if you want to check Dan's work out. 

Canadian Radio News on Radio West

August 31, 2023 5:25 am  #2

Re: Canadian Radio News Relocates From Facebook To Radio West Site

Thank you for the kind words RadioActive. It is indeed a huge confusing mess that I hope gets sorted out soon. . 

August 31, 2023 7:19 am  #3

Re: Canadian Radio News Relocates From Facebook To Radio West Site

I visit your site all the time Dan, and appreciate all the work you put into it. (I know something about how much work it is!) I hope this somehow gets fixed, but in the meantime, it's nice to know you're still there and have at least temporarily moved out "West!."