sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 29, 2023 1:05 pm  #1

Another New Radio Format: Sports -- & Music?

"Tailgate Radio" isn't on terrestrial bands, at least not yet. It's an Internet-only station from country crooner Garth Brooks and TuneIn.com and it provides a bizarre marriage between the world of sports and different eras of music. You might think never the twain shall meet (and I'm not talking about Shania!) but those behind the format believe it can work. 

The station won't actually air any sports coverage - just recaps - but it plans to provide tunes geared to sports fans, whatever that means. 

Billboard Magazine says it: 

"will highlight the 20 biggest songs across all genres from a specific year as well as tying them in with the biggest sports stories from that year.

Elsewhere, Block Party will be a Saturday night four-hour mix show featuring contemporary music from artists ranging from Luke Combs to Beyonce to Eminem. And Tailgate Takeover will feature celebrities, artists and athletes as guest hosts, allowing them to talk about the music and playlists that help them set their favorite vibe; Brooks will host the first edition." 

I'm assuming most of the tunes will have little to do with sports, since there just aren't that many songs that fit the category. How many times can you play "Backfield In Motion" by Mel & Tim or "Centerfield" by John Fogerty? Does "All In The Game" by Tommy Edwards or "Games People Play" by Joe South, The Spinners or The Alan Parsons Project count? What about "Na Na Na Na, Hey Hey, Kiss Him Goodbye?"

The "station" will be available 24/7 online. 

Garth Brooks Launches Music & Sports Station Tailgate Radio With TuneIn

August 29, 2023 1:45 pm  #2

Re: Another New Radio Format: Sports -- & Music?

Hey, there's more bizzare pairings out there--I recall there used to be a show that mixed jazz with martial arts talk on McMaster's radio station.

August 29, 2023 1:52 pm  #3

That show was Jazz N Wrazz.

August 29, 2023 1:53 pm  #4

RadioActive wrote:

How many times can you play "Backfield In Motion" by Mel & Tim or "Centerfield" by John Fogerty? Does "All In The Game" by Tommy Edwards or "Games People Play" by Joe South, The Spinners or The Alan Parsons Project count? What about "Na Na Na Na, Hey Hey, Kiss Him Goodbye?"

- Clear the Track - Del Barber
 - Paradise by the Dashboard Lights - Meat Loaf
 - The Hockey Song - Stompin' Tom
 - We Will Rock You - Queen 

August 29, 2023 11:18 pm  #5

A little independent radio company in the US had a format called Tailgate Radio about 5 years ago.  It was actually well done.  Imagine Boom with a smattering of the current top 10 country and top 10 hot AC hits.  The music must have been hand picked because nothing too jarring played back to back.  I'm sure it didn't have ratings success but it was like listening to an iPod on shuffle but it flowed.

Last edited by Tomas Barlow (August 29, 2023 11:19 pm)