sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 21, 2023 7:18 am  #1

PHIL LIND died

yesterday, on his 80th birthday

August 21, 2023 7:24 am  #2

Re: PHIL LIND died

Might be helpful if you explained who he is - the former exec. of Rogers Communications.

Longtime Rogers executive Phil Lind has died at age 80

August 21, 2023 12:38 pm  #3

Given antipathy & hostility regularly expressed on this board toward anything Rogers, it didn't occur to me to post his resume

August 21, 2023 12:45 pm  #4

You wouldn't have needed to do that, but I'm willing to bet 90% of those reading your post would have no idea who Phil Lind was. And you never mentioned his connection to broadcasting. Hence the reference in my response. Not a big deal and you can never have too much information. (Well, on these matters at least!)

August 21, 2023 1:51 pm  #5

I want to think Phil pre-dates the 'current' version and 'image' of Rogers.  

He was a massive part of the original.  Where he and Mr. Rogers would go floor to floor talking to people, thanking them for their efforts and asking about their families, as it all got bigger and bigger; admittedly, that didn't happen quite so often, but I regularly saw him at 25 Adelaide going floor to floor just checking in and saying hello.   

He was also, along with Colin Watson, the public face of Rogers in many ways, doing regular 'ask-us' phone-in shows and often taking it on the chin from unhappy subs. Colin always came across as the 'grown-up,' and Phil was always a bit in awe of the company, what it was capable of, and that he got to steer and be a part of it. 

If you met Phil, odds are you'd never forget him.  He was the antithesis of a current-day Rogers exec.   What you saw was what you got.  He shared it if he was in a great mood; if he was in a bad mood, you waited to talk to him for 5 or 10 minutes.  

There's a good reason he and Ted were so close; they were incredibly similar in their thinking.  Thanks to Phil, 680 News is a 'thing' today.  Rogers knew CFTR's days were numbered but was thinking of talk, sports, or news.  They didn't want to go up against 1010 or 740, were 'confident' they could purchase an existing sports station to fill the empty AM slot, and when they caught wind that WIC had built a 'newsroom' on the 14th floor when they moved to Yonge/Norton, they had to move fast and did.  There are stories about casual 'conversations' between Rogers, the Griffiths and PKP about long-term plans, which is how it all played out. 

Phil was a significant force behind 680 News, not just making the switch but making it as soon as possible before they lost the hill. 

IMHO, There are two very discrete epochs of Rogers.  And an obvious line that most recognize is drawn between the two.  

georgio1 wrote:

Given antipathy & hostility regularly expressed on this board toward anything Rogers, it didn't occur to me to post his resume

Madness takes its toll.  Please have exact change.

January 17, 2024 7:37 am  #6

Reflections from Phil Lind (in 2010) on the Canadian television broadcasting scene in the 1950's.

https://www.blacklocks.ca/guest_commentary/busting-the-monopoly/