sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 15, 2023 3:17 pm  #1

Could TVO Workers Go On Strike Friday?

I'm not sure if there's ever been a strike at TVOntario, so this could be a first. Workers with the Canadian Media Guild have already voted strongly in favour of a walkout after being without a contract since last October. The union covers producers and journalists among others, and could disrupt various well known TVO shows. Issues include - what else? - wages and the threatened denial of some benefits. 

"The union alleges that following its refusal to sign a waiver entrenching precarious jobs during bargaining, a threat was made to cut jobs from TVOKids and The Agenda with Steve Paikin."

Precarious jobs? TVO? OK, I'm sure that doesn't mean what I thought it did when I first read it! In any event, any job action could begin as early as this Friday. I'm not meaning to disrespect anyone but I can't help but wonder if they do walk off the job, how many viewers will even notice? How often do you watch the government-financed educational network?

CMG members at TVO in legal strike position Friday

August 15, 2023 5:18 pm  #2

Re: Could TVO Workers Go On Strike Friday?

Well, my kids grew up watching TVO's after school kids programming for several years as they waited for supper and they enjoyed the animated shows, as well as Homework Zone, which was great for providing them with basic math and science skills in a fun environment.

For those of us who don't watch ET or whatever other dreck passes for pre-prime time fare on other channels, TVO frequently features great documentaries from the U.K. and Canada between 7:00 pm-8:00 pm.

I'll admit "The Agenda" isn't always my cup of tea, but I respect any network that puts together a one-hour public affairs show five nights a week on topics that are relevant to Ontario audiences. Paikin can be a little self-important from time-to-time, but he's an affable host who is skilled at keeping panels on topic and holding guests accountable for their statements. It's no wonder Doug Ford has refused all invitations to appear on the show, something no previous Premier has ever done, going all the way back to Buttermilk Billy Davis. 

Also, check out TVO's website for The Agenda, which features smart and informed commentary from both the right and left sides of the political spectrum. Also worth noting that The Agenda itself draws about 600,000 viewers weekly, and that's nothing to be sneezed at in today's fractured media landscape.

August 15, 2023 5:19 pm  #3

I do stream the Agenda on YouTube, but I haven't tuned in on-air in over eight years.  Where I live, I've never had cable.  The only time I had the antenna hooked up was for the 2016 US presidential election.  Other than that, it's just streaming.

Cheers,
Jody Thornton

August 15, 2023 5:30 pm  #4

BowmanvilleBob wrote:

I'll admit "The Agenda" isn't always my cup of tea, but I respect any network that puts together a one-hour public affairs show five nights a week on topics that are relevant to Ontario audiences. Paikin can be a little self-important from time-to-time, but he's an affable host who is skilled at keeping panels on topic and holding guests accountable for their statements. It's no wonder Doug Ford has refused all invitations to appear on the show, something no previous Premier has ever done, going all the way back to Buttermilk Billy Davis. 

Also, check out TVO's website for The Agenda, which features smart and informed commentary from both the right and left sides of the political spectrum. Also worth noting that The Agenda itself draws about 600,000 viewers weekly, and that's nothing to be sneezed at in today's fractured media landscape.

I was going to say that Paikin seems to be pretty humble as far as hosts go.  I know it's been argued that The Agenda covers topics that aren't Ontario-centric all of the time, but they are important to Ontarians.  And I'm glad to see that it draws the numbers it does, because if it were left to private media, a show like that would never survive.

Good on TVO

Cheers,
Jody Thornton

August 15, 2023 6:11 pm  #5

It is worth remembering that TVO is an educational TV network and this plays a fairly big part of their schedule.  I agree that TVO does have some interesting documentaries, and I do enjoy The Agenda from time to time but depends on the topic.  I enjoy PBS as well but they seem to be less educational now and more mass appeal with annoying informercial type programming and fund raising drives.  I get why they do this but for me as a viewer a turn off.

TVO's programming for children has always been first rate.  I remember years ago they had a program on for kids showing them how to dance, including break dancing.  They produced this show themselves.  Also interesting that they carry some children's shows from Australia.   

Sometimes wonder if it would be worth exploring TVO having some kind of radio service within the province.  CBC Radio One does well, is there room for another public radio service?  I wouldn't be adverse to TVO radio even having some commercials to keep costs down. Maybe an all night music show could feature heavy on music artists from the province.  I noticed that some LCBO stores do this.  

August 16, 2023 12:50 am  #6

I agree that a TVO type Toronto radio station would be a welcome addition to the local media scene. It would have
newscasts longer than 2 or 3 minutes....how about 15 minutes of uninterrupted mews with separate commentary by
knowledgeable writers and journalists.  Talk shows and panel shows not interrupted by 10 commercials or frequent
traffic reports or repetitive weather reports since most people have navigation and weather apps on their phones.
Long form interviews, discussions and audio documentaries and maybe even some audio drama.  It would be refreshing to turn on the radio or smart speaker to a local station and listen to intelligent programs that are more than just bits and bytes interrupted by frequent annoying ads. 

August 16, 2023 7:09 am  #7

mojo55 wrote:

I agree that a TVO type Toronto radio station would be a welcome addition to the local media scene.

OK, but even if there was a budget for it, where on the dial would it possibly be located? There just isn't any room to squeeze in another station, regardless of who runs it. They would have to buy an existing outlet and I doubt any of the Big 3 would sell them a good frequency. 

Although I hear 103.9 could soon be available...

August 16, 2023 9:37 am  #8

RadioActive wrote:

mojo55 wrote:

I agree that a TVO type Toronto radio station would be a welcome addition to the local media scene.

OK, but even if there was a budget for it, where on the dial would it possibly be located? There just isn't any room to squeeze in another station, regardless of who runs it. They would have to buy an existing outlet and I doubt any of the Big 3 would sell them a good frequency. 

If TVO radio was mostly talk, CKOC Hamilton would work for the GTA.  Or you could have affiliated stations that carry their main programs.  So university/college/community radio could run some programming.

You could stream the schedule and make it available to any station within the province that wants to pick up  shows. 

TVO radio could also run programming from other public radio services from the US, UK, Australia, other parts of Canada etc. with features that might be of interest to Ontarians. 

The service would be promoted on TVO television, and possibility of some simulcasts with TV and radio.  As mojo55 mentions above, more in depth news and talk. 

Likely will never happen but it's fun to dream. 

August 16, 2023 10:33 am  #9

RadioActive wrote:

Except that 103.9 is second adjacent to CIDC-FM on 103.5, and would therefore require Evanov's expressed consent for its use. The frequency has very limited coverage, which has contributed to its failure.

August 16, 2023 10:53 am  #10

As Jody and others have pointed out, TVO has put a lot of effort into streaming its programming and supporting podcasts with their regular hosts and posting specific segments of The Agenda on its Youtube channel. Given this, I doubt there's much interest in pursuing a OTA radio signal at this time, particularly since Bell/Corus/Rogers would undoubtedly howl blue murder at the very prospect.

August 18, 2023 7:55 pm  #11

The Toronto Star reports talks have been extended past Friday, so there's still no walkout on - you should pardon the expression - the Agenda.