sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 11, 2023 4:36 pm  #1

Did Channel 7 In Buffalo Copy Our Cable 7 In Toronto?

Alan Pergament in the Buffalo News writes about a new innovation on one of WKBW's newscasts - an anchorless show. As those in Toronto already know, that's hardly an original idea. City TV pioneeded the concept for many years, to mixed results. 

If you've never watched it, it's an electronic wipe from one piece to another, with the reporter essentially introducing it him or herself and then launching into their story. At the end of that, they wipe to yet another story and the process repeats from there. I remember when this was first introduced, with Rogers tubthumping how "innovative" it was and how it made CityNews different from all of its competition. 

I'm just not sure if it's played out that way in the ratings. But since we haven't seen the 6 PM news ratings in ages, I guess we'll never really know. But I believe CTV is still #1 here at six, and their opening graphic indicates as much.

Buffalo News: From its use of anchors to its lengthier stories, WKBW news is doing things differently 

I wrote Mr. Pergament to ask if he thought KB's owners were aware of the City format. He was nice enough to send me a brief answer: 

Thank you,
I think WKBW’s owner, Scripps, is behind the idea,
Not sure if they saw City TV.
I do see it when I go to TIFF every year.

Not sure if TIFF will be the same or if he'll even head north with the writers and actors strikes continuing into September. 

August 12, 2023 8:44 pm  #2

Re: Did Channel 7 In Buffalo Copy Our Cable 7 In Toronto?

Question: Are you referring to the 4:30am weekday newscast?

August 12, 2023 9:26 pm  #3

Re: Did Channel 7 In Buffalo Copy Our Cable 7 In Toronto?

City's been doing it on all their newscasts (except for BT) for several years. 

Pergament cites the 5:30 PM cast on Buffalo's Channel 7 as the one experimenting with the anchorless format.