sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 11, 2017 10:16 am  #1

Why Would CFRB Nix Live Coverage Of Trump's First Press Conference?

I was surprised to hear that the city's major Newstalk radio station decided not to carry U.S. president-elect Donald Trump's first news conference in half a year live - especially with the new explosive allegations about a Russian sex scandal breaking. Instead, they're going to air "excerpts and highlights."

They've made all sorts of excuses for this strange decision - you can't hear the questions, these things never start on time, we'll get U.S. anchors interrupting the feed, etc. etc. All of which sounds completely ridiculous to these ears. I can only wonder what the real reason might be.

CFRB has taken tons of police pressers where the questioner is all but inaudible. That never stopped them. And there's no reason they can't just go to the newser when it finally starts, just as they do with any breaking story.

Love him or hate him, you would think that the most controversial incoming president in history facing a group of hostile reporters who have made no secret they hate him as a potential sex scandal is breaking about him would be must hear radio. I'll just watch it on TV. But CFRB, which you might expect to jump on this kind of event, is missing a golden opportunity here. I just can't figure out why.

January 11, 2017 12:16 pm  #2

Re: Why Would CFRB Nix Live Coverage Of Trump's First Press Conference?

Both 640 and CKTB seem to realize the significance of the presser and are taking it live. RB? They're into a traffic report, followed bizarrely by Barb DiGiulio recapping the entire Trump scandal allegations. So they're talking about the story, rather covering it as it happens. And then they went to a delayed version of it.  

Curioser and curosier, said Alice. 

Last edited by RadioActive (January 11, 2017 12:25 pm)

January 11, 2017 12:54 pm  #3

It's fair to be sarcastic. And a lot of the aforementioned taking it live jumped out of it when the tax attorney began her very long and technical explanation, although I found it somewhat interesting and it was fairly important.

But for a station that has made its bones by taking even the smallest press conference on almost any issue live, I can't help but wonder why the solons who run CFRB made this decision. It just doesn't make any sense, given what they've done before and I think it hurts the "breaking news" brand they've worked so hard to build up.  

January 11, 2017 1:37 pm  #4

I agree with you RA...

I can't think of a good reason why 1010 wouldn't carry this event live all things considered...
John Moore and at least one other host tried to explain away why the event wouldn't be covered but the reasoning it sounded weak -- lame to me.

It was interesting to me to see Trump hand CNN reporter Jim Acosta his ass by refusing to take his question...

Isn't CNN unwatchable these days ??

January 11, 2017 2:25 pm  #5

The large majority of the audience wouldn't care either way.   I say NOT running it is a good call.   You can play the drops and discuss it just as easy.    "Hard core" newsies can find it if they need it.   RB is a machine that needs to keep rolling, and keep consistent.    Trump taking questions is interesting - it's not BREAKING.

January 11, 2017 2:48 pm  #6

RadioQuiz wrote:

I say NOT running it is a good call. ..... "Hard core" newsies can find it if they need it. ..... Trump taking questions is interesting - it's not BREAKING.

I agree. Unlike a real presser giving out FACTS, this is more of a television event watching a lunatic dodge questions, talk over people and hurl insults.

January 11, 2017 6:44 pm  #7

Just like John Stewart was one of the best at political insight as a comedian Seth Meyers does a good job with holding Kellyanne Conway's feet to the fire and the press confrence is discussed though the clip is from the night before,

Last edited by Fitz (January 11, 2017 6:59 pm)

Cool Airchecks and More:
http://www.lettheuniverseanswer.com/

January 11, 2017 7:28 pm  #8

It is odd, considering that the aural arousal of the nattering brothers Ford was sufficient for the AM warriors at CFRB to erect a regular show around them.

January 12, 2017 12:54 am  #9

RadioQuiz wrote:

"Hard core" newsies can find it if they need it.

Giving your core audience a reason to go somewhere else is plain dumb.  At 11 am it was the biggest story on planet earth and they should have covered it live.  It's the type of move I expect from AM 640 which is why I never go there for live coverage of anything.  We have one half-baked news talk station in this city.  We don't need two.  Cover the damn story as it happens.  It's what you've built your reputation on.

Producers who are reading this, if you're ever looking for a feed to use CNN is always my choice.  They carry most pressers in their entirety and if they aren't using a pool feed and have their own mics there they always bring up the ambiant room audio so you can hear the questions.

Last edited by Prod Guy (January 12, 2017 1:01 am)

January 12, 2017 1:44 am  #10

Prod Guy wrote:

Giving your core audience a reason to go somewhere else is plain dumb.  At 11 am it was the biggest story on planet earth

"Biggest story on planet earth"? Hardly. As for giving the audience a reason to go elsewhere? C'mon, that's so old-school thinking, appropriate for 30 years ago and not today. We don't need every station in the city covering the same damn thing. Give the audience an alternative. RB summarized the coverage and moved on, giving a tired audience a reason to stay and not tune out elsewhere.

Last edited by cGrant (January 12, 2017 1:44 am)

January 12, 2017 3:28 am  #11

disagree with cgrant. It was a huge story.   this is the incoming prez of the "greatest country on earth" and his minute use of words are significant.  whether you feel he's  a messiah or a boor, his choice of words now count.  just follow his twitter feed if you feel differently.   'RB should have covered it live if they were promoting it. 

January 12, 2017 7:13 am  #12

While on the topic of breaking news, who will cover Pt. Dover tomorrow, as the intrepid Mike Bullard is temporarily unavailable?

January 12, 2017 8:59 am  #13

cGrant wrote:

"Biggest story on planet earth"? Hardly.

What was happening at 11:15 am yesterday that was bigger than the US president elect giving his first press conference since being elected to the most powerful position in the world?  

January 12, 2017 12:54 pm  #14

Perhaps 'RB avoided the trump poop-fest in order to skate clear of being branded, too, as a "fake news" outlet?  Better them than CNN.  More accurate by comparison as well.

And as for Kellyanne Conway...she is one of the most irritating and dishonest...insultingly so...liars to ever [mis]represent a so-called person of note [a sour note at best] ever.  If I was Elvis...I'd shoot my TV with a bazooka every time she oozed into view. [or earshot] 

Credibility?  0.  [Overrated as 'they' say... ... ...but then again 'they're' a dick!!!]]

January 12, 2017 3:24 pm  #15

Old Codger wrote:

Perhaps 'RB avoided the trump poop-fest in order to skate clear of being branded, too, as a "fake news" outlet?  Better them than CNN.  More accurate by comparison as well.

And as for Kellyanne Conway...she is one of the most irritating and dishonest...insultingly so...liars to ever [mis]represent a so-called person of note [a sour note at best] ever.  If I was Elvis...I'd shoot my TV with a bazooka every time she oozed into view. [or earshot] 

Credibility?  0.  [Overrated as 'they' say... ... ...but then again 'they're' a dick!!!]]

I agree with you OC re Kellyanne but at least Seth Myers was trying to challenge her BS unlike many so called journalists and it's a shame when we have to depend on comedians only to do the job of news reporters. 

Cool Airchecks and More:

January 12, 2017 4:41 pm  #16

splunge wrote:

disagree with cgrant. It was a huge story.   this is the incoming prez of the "greatest country on earth" and his minute use of words are significant.  whether you feel he's  a messiah or a boor, his choice of words now count.  just follow his twitter feed if you feel differently.   'RB should have covered it live if they were promoting it. 

^^This. I waited for it to air on 640. When Stafford interrupted it, I went to youtube and watched the rest of it live. Further, I felt a bit giddy when Trump handed CNN their Ass.

I am Here, just not all there.

January 12, 2017 5:08 pm  #17

StevieB wrote:

splunge wrote:

^^This. I waited for it to air on 640. When Stafford interrupted it, I went to youtube and watched the rest of it live. Further, I felt a bit giddy when Trump handed CNN their Ass.

I had to leave part way through it and was forced to pick it up on WBEN AM in the car. A shame no one locally thought it was worth sticking with, especially the aforementioned confrontation with CNN. Agree or disagree with Trump, it was the most riveting part of the presser.  

January 12, 2017 6:37 pm  #18

Prod Guy wrote:

What was happening at 11:15 am yesterday that was bigger than the US president elect giving his first press conference since being elected 

something about a water main break on Queen E.

January 12, 2017 7:34 pm  #19

StevieB wrote:

I felt a bit giddy when Trump handed CNN their Ass.

This...^^^^^^^^

Hands up...how many here find CNN just about unwatchable when it comes to covering the Trumpster ??

January 12, 2017 10:21 pm  #20

10 Second Recap of the Trump presser by way of Jimmy Kimmel. All the highlights if you missed it.

Cool Airchecks and More:

January 13, 2017 3:37 pm  #21

StevieB wrote:

Further, I felt a bit giddy when Trump handed CNN their Ass.

So suppressing freedom of speech and the constitutional freedom of the press/of the media to do it's job properly makes you "giddy"?  You along with the tiny handful in attendance who clapped when the 'king of the clap', donny trump, called CNN "fake-news" must all be goose-steppers.

This mother-fucker trump is totally dangerous...and he shows in an ever-so-constant-and-obvious way that he is way, WAY,  W  A  Y   under educated.  It's like 'winning' a 50/50 draw only to find that you, in fact, got all 100% of the road apples offered as the actual 'prize'.  You will be required to collect and carry them ALL individually ... by hand...during the dog days of this upcoming summer of 2017. 

He should be impeached by fall. Hopefully.  Otherwise?   He's pure poison and we're doomed.  Period.

Last edited by Old Codger (January 13, 2017 3:55 pm)

January 14, 2017 8:03 pm  #22

Generally CNN is not what they used to be.  They rarely cover anything in depth anymore.

That said someone cheering for Donald Trump over a free media on a radio board is not something I thought I would see.

January 14, 2017 11:52 pm  #23

Barack Obama approved the tapping of Angela Merkel's cell phone...

It's what they do....

Some do it better than others...

We're not talking about Hafez Assad of Syria here....not Fidel Castro of Cuba nor Kim Jong Un of the DPRK...

Brack Obama approved the tapping of Angela Merkel's cell phone...

It's what they do...

Some do it better than others...

So respectfully may I ask what exactly is your point??

Last edited by unclefester (January 15, 2017 12:08 am)

January 15, 2017 12:24 am  #24

A free media is the point.

January 15, 2017 1:04 pm  #25

Old Codger wrote:

StevieB wrote:

Further, I felt a bit giddy when Trump handed CNN their Ass.

So suppressing freedom of speech and the constitutional freedom of the press/of the media to do it's job properly makes you "giddy"?  You along with the tiny handful in attendance who clapped when the 'king of the clap', donny trump, called CNN "fake-news" must all be goose-steppers.

This mother-fucker trump is totally dangerous...and he shows in an ever-so-constant-and-obvious way that he is way, WAY,  W  A  Y   under educated.  It's like 'winning' a 50/50 draw only to find that you, in fact, got all 100% of the road apples offered as the actual 'prize'.  You will be required to collect and carry them ALL individually ... by hand...during the dog days of this upcoming summer of 2017. 

He should be impeached by fall. Hopefully.  Otherwise?   He's pure poison and we're doomed.  Period.

Hmmmm...Sounds like..

January 15, 2017 1:05 pm  #26

Make America Great Again!

January 15, 2017 1:28 pm  #27

Political squabbles on SOWNY make me uncomfortable; can we get back to bashing Elvis & the Big Bopper?

January 15, 2017 2:18 pm  #28

Kilgore wrote:

Political squabbles on SOWNY make me uncomfortable; can we get back to bashing Elvis & the Big Bopper?

Squabble no...discussion sure...

January 15, 2017 2:29 pm  #29

I feel sorry for & simply can't fathom anyone who can't recognize & acknowledge Trump for the total boor that he is.

Last edited by g121 (January 15, 2017 2:29 pm)

January 15, 2017 3:36 pm  #30

getting back to RadioActive's opening post, was News/Talk 1010 making a point by ignoring the press conference?