sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 30, 2023 10:28 am  #1

Remember TV Guide Crossword Puzzles? Now You Can Do Them Online

When I was a kid and looked forward to the Wednesday mail delivery of our weekly TV Guide, one of my favourite parts of the magazine was the crossword puzzle at the end. Anything that incorporated television shows into the grid was OK with me, and while they were only semi-challenging, they were fun.

Now TV Insider, the online site owned by the current publishers of TV Guide (and yes, it still exists in the U.S.) has put a host of topic themed crosswords online, done by theme. There's one dedicated to Westerns, another to M*A*S*H, while a third devotes itself to famous boob tube talk show hosts. Not to mention the Gilligan's Island one. And that's just a small list. 

I find the interface a bit clunky, but on a lazy summertime Sunday, it's a nice distraction if you're into this stuff. 

Find them here

July 30, 2023 10:44 am  #2

Re: Remember TV Guide Crossword Puzzles? Now You Can Do Them Online

Used to try my hand at the crosswords in Starweek, even as a young'un... though I never did complete any of them. Dad always read the Star, so our TV listings came from them.

July 31, 2023 8:59 am  #3

RadioActive wrote:

When I was a kid and looked forward to the Wednesday mail delivery of our weekly TV Guide, one of my favourite parts of the magazine was the crossword puzzle at the end. Anything that incorporated television shows into the grid was OK with me, and while they were only semi-challenging, they were fun.

Now TV Insider, the online site owned by the current publishers of TV Guide (and yes, it still exists in the U.S.) has put a host of topic themed crosswords online, done by theme. There's one dedicated to Westerns, another to M*A*S*H, while a third devotes itself to famous boob tube talk show hosts. Not to mention the Gilligan's Island one. And that's just a small list. 

I find the interface a bit clunky, but on a lazy summertime Sunday, it's a nice distraction if you're into this stuff. 

Find them here

Did you try any of the puzzles RA?
Using my tablet, I clicked on a couple and the puzzle and clues appeared with no problem, but there seemed to be no way to actually fill in the answers. I figured some sort of keyboard would appear, a la Wordle, but no.

I must be missing something. If not this is a pretty pointless puzzle site.

BTW, I'm loving Wordle, Canuckle and Quordle and the audio pop music version Heardle. I look forward to playing them every day. I guess you become easily amused when you get to be 60. 🙂

July 31, 2023 10:01 am  #4

Not sure how it works on a tablet. On a PC, you click on a numbered box, the clue comes up and then you type in what you think is the answer. It's a pretty clunky interface and can be annoying, so sometimes I wonder if it's worth it.

That said, I really enjoyed the M*A*S*H one, mainly because I watched that show (and all the reruns) so much over the years, I knew most of the answers! 

July 31, 2023 5:42 pm  #5

RadioActive wrote:

Not sure how it works on a tablet. On a PC, you click on a numbered box, the clue comes up and then you type in what you think is the answer. It's a pretty clunky interface and can be annoying, so sometimes I wonder if it's worth it.

That said, I really enjoyed the M*A*S*H one, mainly because I watched that show (and all the reruns) so much over the years, I knew most of the answers! 

That would explain it. I guess it's just not designed for tablets. Oh well.

For what it's worth I loved M*A*S*H too. I must have seen the entire series 20 or more times.

I still howl at Harry Morgan's first appearance as crazy General Bartford Hamilton Steele (that's Steele with three Es ... not all in a row)
"Not now Marjorie! I'm inspecting the troops!"

July 31, 2023 5:45 pm  #6

I remember that one. "But first a number - a musical number," he says to the Black soldier, bringing out his prejudice, before he starts singing his way out of the tent.

One of the few times the show chose to conveniently "forget" about Morgan playing that role, when they brought him back as Col. Potter.