sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 27, 2023 4:05 pm  #1

CKLK 88.5 Grimsby Testing

Caught it on Thursday driving Hamilton to Niagara.

July 27, 2023 6:03 pm  #2

Re: CKLK 88.5 Grimsby Testing

What were they playing/saying/doing?

July 29, 2023 1:24 pm  #3

Usual ‘This is a test - if you are having interference….contact us….etc”. ID/this is a test  Loop played once over a 15 minute period when I was listening..  Hearing a lot of 70’s and 80’s - Carefree Highway, It’s too late, etc.  Very easy listening.    Picking it up in mid-town Toronto, on a portable HD Insignia FM radio.

Last edited by tvguy (July 29, 2023 1:25 pm)

July 31, 2023 11:38 am  #4

tvguy wrote:

Usual ‘This is a test - if you are having interference….contact us….etc”. ID/this is a test  Loop played once over a 15 minute period when I was listening..  Hearing a lot of 70’s and 80’s - Carefree Highway, It’s too late, etc.  Very easy listening.    Picking it up in mid-town Toronto, on a portable HD Insignia FM radio.

Impressive, since CKLK is only at 4 kW(down to 3.6 kW per a recent CRTC decision approving changes to the technical parts of the station).

July 31, 2023 3:46 pm  #5

ckg927 wrote:

tvguy wrote:

Impressive, since CKLK is only at 4 kW(down to 3.6 kW per a recent CRTC decision approving changes to the technical parts of the station).

I predict that Evanov's 88.5 Newmarket "rim shot" into toronto will take a hit in future ratings, because summer, fall and spring tropo are going to cause a lot of co-channel in parts of Toronto.   

July 31, 2023 5:54 pm  #6

tvguy wrote:

ckg927 wrote:

tvguy wrote:

I predict that Evanov's 88.5 Newmarket "rim shot" into toronto will take a hit in future ratings, because summer, fall and spring tropo are going to cause a lot of co-channel in parts of Toronto.   

CKDX pulled out of the Toronto ratings a couple years ago.

August 1, 2023 5:34 am  #7

There is a community cruiser reporter position for this new station posted on Milkman Unlimited. The station will be 885 The Lake - Greatest Hits of All Time.

Derm Carnduff is the PD, so this is the exact same format at 92.9 The Grand, of which he is also PD.

August 3, 2023 8:35 pm  #8

I tuned in to 88.5 in my truck this morning and it was a little fuzzy here and there in St. Catharines.   

The HD indicator came on but their signal is too weak to pull in full HD.  In the house, I'm using a 90s era VHF/UHF/FM antenna aimed west (towards Grimsby/Beamsville) on a 30 ft tower.  It comes in fine, but it would be nice to be able to receive this station all over the Niagara Region.

Good music variety (even if most of the music is older than me--nothing wrong with that, either!)

The best thing about CKLK:  They're not owned by Bell!

August 14, 2023 3:25 pm  #9

Is this station just going to simulcast The Grand? They don't have a website from what I can see, but they do have a soundcloud account with a few posts of Rockin' Ray Michaels show, and he's on The Grand. I've only seen a job posting for a community events reporter, no on-air hosts.

August 15, 2023 3:33 pm  #10

I suppose it could be a way for Durham to reach the classic hits market that they can't currently reach through The Grand due to interference from 92.9 out of Buffalo. 

Last edited by km93 (August 15, 2023 3:33 pm)