sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 26, 2023 8:03 pm  #1

Is Alan Cross A Free Agent Or A Corus Employee?

I ask the question because he appeared on both CTV's 6 PM News and iHeart's national "Newstalk Tonight" to reflect on the death of Sinead O'Connor. That's fine and he knows his stuff.

But doesn't he work for the competition, having a show on Q107? Why would a competing radio station ask him to come on and talk about her when you might think he would be contractually obligated to Corus. Not the first time I've heard him elsewhere and it always makes me wonder what his deal with Corus is. 

Then again, I doubt the company would mind him spreading his well known brand elsewhere. But what would motivate Bell to have him on their airwaves? Can you imagine Vassy Kapelos going on AM 640? I'm sure there's an explanation but as much as I like Cross' work, if he represents a station going against me, I don't think I'd ask him to appear. (And hey, there's always Eric Alper, who truly is a free agent!)

July 26, 2023 8:20 pm  #2

Re: Is Alan Cross A Free Agent Or A Corus Employee?

I certainly don't know the answer to your question, RA, but I'm chiming in here just to offer my appreciation of his skills and the amazing way he carved out a career for himself.

July 26, 2023 8:33 pm  #3

I also appreciate his talent and the fact he turned a podcast he really didn't want to do - The Ongoing History of New Music - into a successful and long running feature. 

July 26, 2023 11:34 pm  #4

Again I find it odd that in this country we act like one person knows every single thing about every single song and artist in history and no one else knows anything.

He Googled her today just like everyone else did.

July 27, 2023 9:25 am  #5

Tomas Barlow wrote:

Again I find it odd that in this country we act like one person knows every single thing about every single song and artist in history and no one else knows anything.

He Googled her today just like everyone else did.

I think it's more to do with the fact he's known as a respected voice, and easy to get on air and book for an interview.  Sadly with the limited resources and newsrooms who have way less bodies/experience in the room, they go with who they can get fast and quick, vs who's different.     This is no knock on Alan or any one broadcaster.. It's just the reality of Canadian Media in 2023. 

July 27, 2023 10:11 am  #6

I agree he's an excellent interview and he's accessible. I just wonder why Bell would want one of their competitor's most prominent personalities to get exposure on their airwaves. (Ironically, Alex Pierson had Eric Alper on her AM640 show Thursday morning to talk about O'Connor and not her own teammate, Cross.)

That would never have happened in the old days of radio, where you refused to even acknowledge that another station existed. (Dumb yes, but that's the way it used to work.)

It was such a hard and fast rule that it led to one of the funniest things I ever heard on air. It happened back in the late 70s, when Bob Vernon (aka "Vernon With A V") had just done a station ID on WNBC New York, which at the time was in a huge ratings fight with WABC and Vernon's afternoon drive competitor, the legendary Dan Ingram.

Suddenly, and without any notice or apparent reason, NBC played its rival's jingle. "Dan Ingram!" the PAMS singers sounded, "77 WABCeeee!" 

There was a short pause, and then Vernon came back and said in that deep announcer's voice he had, "Dan Ingram is not here. Nor do we know where you can find him. Thank you." And into a song. I have no idea why he did it. But to this day, I still remember it and it still makes me laugh just thinking about the sheer gall of it.

July 27, 2023 10:24 am  #7

WGN-TV in Chicago has been breaking this rule of not mentioning their competition since the launch of their morning show in the late 90s. They regularly acknowledge the existence of their competitors, most of the time to make fun of them.

One time, they kidnapped their competitor's weather anchor and put her on their show.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VlnSCSBMmYg

Another time, the anchors trick-or-treated at their competitors (showed their logos and everything)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6h3_dMeMNYM

And recently their morning show had a segment talking about the best looking male anchors in Chicago, which included a former WGN anchor that crossed the street to CBS.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NhJKZv0Kh0w

Last edited by ED1 (July 27, 2023 11:45 am)

July 27, 2023 10:37 am  #8

Great stuff and I think viewers love it. (At least viewers in the know do.) The late Jay Marvin when he was doing a talk show on WLS, used to phone his competitors over at WGN, talk to and taunt their producer live on air, and then hang up on him. Juvenile, yes, but I have to admit it was hilarious. 

July 27, 2023 10:40 am  #9

In the current fragmented media landscape, I don't see a problem here. For even the biggest media personalities, most people don't know who they are.

Being the voice of the station aside, his show occupies only one hour of off-prime space on a station that's already well known, with little format crossover to Bell's FMs. A little more air-time and audience crossover on CFNY.

The advantage for Bell of getting a easy/good interview for TV far outweighs the risk to their radio properties, which is zero in my opinion.

July 27, 2023 7:38 pm  #10

Contractor for CORUS.  And no, apart from a possible Google refresher, like we all would do, he actually lived through, researched wrote and talked about Sinead's career over the past 30 years. He had files on artists well before the internet. I find that comment highly disrespectful. He's not a talking head. He is a music historian, and that is his legacy.  Stop shitting on talent.    

July 28, 2023 1:33 am  #11

MonteVideo wrote:

He actually lived through, researched wrote and talked about Sinead's career over the past 30 years.

As did everyone else on the air at pop stations everywhere in Canada over the past 30 years who did show prep.  I know it's mandatory for everyone on this board to worship certain people.  I have absolutely nothing against him, but I'm certain someone else in this country knows something about music. 

If Britney Spears was abducted by aliens tomorrow, never to return, who would get the call to give his thoughts on her?  Alan Cross from CFNY, who would have interviewed her or played her songs how many times in his career?  Not many.  How about Tarzan Dan, who actually played her music and interviewed her?  Or Rick Campanelli or Strombo both of whom who interviewed her at Much Music?  Making that suggestion isn't highly disrespectful or shitting on Alan Cross, it's recognizing that we have more than one knowledgeable person in this country when it comes to music.

Last edited by Tomas Barlow (July 28, 2023 1:37 am)

July 28, 2023 8:11 am  #12

Tomas Barlow wrote:

If Britney Spears was abducted by aliens tomorrow, never to return, who would get the call to give his thoughts on her? 

Too important an event to trust to disc jockeys; I would turn to print media and Brad Wheeler specifically

July 28, 2023 10:00 am  #13

My only beef is the title of "musicologist."   What is a musicologist exactly?  Is there a post secondary course that must be completed and test passed ?  Do you have to complete an internship ?   If Alan Cross is a musicologist, what about John Donabie, David Marsden, old friend Ivar Hamilton, and so many others ?

July 28, 2023 12:49 pm  #14

Just a Radio Fan wrote:

My only beef is the title of "musicologist."   What is a musicologist exactly?  Is there a post secondary course that must be completed and test passed ?  Do you have to complete an internship ?   If Alan Cross is a musicologist, what about John Donabie, David Marsden, old friend Ivar Hamilton, and so many others ?

I had an actual Musicologist on Toronto Mike'd to talk about this. His name is Dr. Mike Daley, and he has a PhD in Musicology. Coincidentally, I had Alan Cross over two weeks later, and asked him about this. Alan says he doesn't use that term to describe himself, even though I've noticed his official bio states "he's also known as a musicologist" as opposed to "he's a musicologist", because he isn't and he knows it.

But he's a great broadcaster and a solid citizen and as pointed out already in this thread, he's an independent contractor and not a Corus employee.

Last edited by torontomike (July 28, 2023 12:53 pm)