sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 17, 2023 5:24 pm  #1

Streaming Shows Set To Make Free Network Debuts Due To Strikes

It was inevitable and now it's almost here - shows normally available only on streaming services will be coming to free TV, as desperate American networks look to fill time any way they can during the writers and actors' strikes in Hollywood. 

CBS announced on Monday that it was bringing season one of its popular series, "Yellowstone" with Kevin Costner, to the Eye Network, borrowing it from its streaming-only Paramount+ service.  (The show is now in its 5th season online, and Costner has since left.) 

This isn't the first time an original Paramount+ show was on the main network - during the COVID production shutdown, CBS showed the entire first season of "The Good Fight," the sequel to its own "The Good Wife." The former show is no longer in production, ending last year.

In another interesting twist, CBS will combine reruns of Season One of its popular sitcom "Ghosts" with a double showing of the U.K. version, which inspired it. It's never been seen in the U.S. before. (CBCGem has had it online for a while. If you're interested, you can watch it for free here.)

'Yellowstone' to Make Broadcast Premiere on CBS This Fall Amid WGA and SAG Strikes

Meanwhile, ABC is dipping into its Disney+ vaults for a show called "Ms, Marvel," It will be shown over two nights, with three episodes on Sat. Aug. 5th and the following trio a week later. (Odd that they would throw it away on a Saturday, the least viewed night of the week, but the network has committed to a ton of game shows while the strike lasts, so they have to get this one in somewhere.) 

Ms. Marvel to Make Broadcast Debut on ABC Later This Summer

And as previously announced, The CW will have several nights of all Canadian programming, including the CBC's "Son of a Critch" and "Sullivan's Crossing," both of which have previously aired here. 

The CW Unveils Fall Premiere Dates for FBoy Island’s Return, Sullivan’s Crossing and More Imports

So far, no word on whether any of the Star Trek remakes will be shown over free TV, but the first season of one of them also aired during the pandemic-stoppage on CBS, so there's always a chance it might fly to the network's rescue depending on how long these walkouts continue.  

July 17, 2023 9:08 pm  #2

Re: Streaming Shows Set To Make Free Network Debuts Due To Strikes

Say, as long as all the AmNets are going to be filling a lot of their vacant time with game shows, may I suggest this one as a great alternative? It's brilliant. 

July 18, 2023 10:27 am  #3

I'm curious to see how CBS will deal with Yellowstone. If I recall correctly, Yellowstone was rife with the old phrase "violence, coarse language and nudity."

They'll really be giving the old grease pencil and razor blade a workout.

July 19, 2023 10:49 am  #4

Many of the streaming shows have liberal use of forbidden words. I wonder if they already have "safe" versions similar to aircraft-ready movies. Rember the "Monday to Friday" snakes, or "Cheese and Fries" in a British movie whose title currently eludes me.  Was Simon Peg was the responsible actor/producer?

Last edited by Ian (July 19, 2023 10:51 am)

July 21, 2023 5:08 pm  #5

Well, this is a first - at least it is to me. 

Thanks to the actors' strike, a new Marvel Universe film will have its grand debut on airplanes only! If you want to see the most recent "Capt. America" flick, you'll have to buy a ticket - to somewhere else! Man, what an expensive movie! Why, these ticket prices are sky high!

Why Is Marvel's New Captain America Movie Being Released 'Straight-To-Airplane'?