sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 14, 2023 11:19 am  #1

More Weirdness From CFAJ-AM 1220

We've been following the "progress" (if you can call it that) of this place since it first signed on with a test signal way back in February 2020. It has now been three and a half years, and still, as far as I can tell, there hasn't been a single paid ad on the station. Not one, not ever. 

But that doesn't mean they haven't been completely without sponsorship. Their website, which I'm pretty sure doesn't get a lot of eyeballs, is currently advertising a special on banner ads: $129.95 per month - a 50% off value! They do appear to have a few rotating ads, but I honestly can't tell if they're just place holders or actually paid for. Surely this can't be enough to fund the place. And who the hell sees these anyway?

Not only has there never been a single paid on-air spot to my knowledge, but there's never been a single newscast, a word about the weather or any other voice beyond the Peter Borbely pre-recorded liners. I tune in occasionally and have noticed one apparently big change - they seem to have somewhat contemporized the music mix. 

What used to be almost strictly 60s and 70s has now expanded into later years, with artists like Taylor Dane, Avril Lavigne, Celine Dion, Billy Idol or Survivor getting onto the playlist, something that wouldn't necessarly fit into the definition of a "classic hits" station.  

Then there's this new anomaly. A page that presumes to track the most "popular songs." The top of the list as I post this is "undefined," which is an icon they use when they don't have a pic of the actual artist. "Undefined" has all of 3 votes. The rest have either 2 or 1. There is nothing to indicate how to vote or who is voting. But obviously not many are.

And then there's this cryptic sentence:

"Don’t know what song’s been playing on the radio? Use our service to find it! Our playlist stores a Classic 1220 track list for the past 7 days."

Great, except there's no actual link to this "service" so you can't track anything!

And finally, the contact phone number continues to be in the 416 area code. (Yes, I'm aware the firm that's behind this place is located in the GTA, but what does that say about serving St. Catharines, the actual area of licence?)

As we debate the fate of 1150 and 820 AM, you have to wonder again how in the world this place is staying on the air and where the mnoey to pay for the music licensing and electricity to keep the tower going is coming from. I'm betting it's not from that measly $130 a month banner ad income. (Reduced from the normal rate of $264.42 every 30 days. What a bargain!)

Someday, the truth about this place will come out. It will be fascinating to see what it is.

July 14, 2023 9:02 pm  #2

Re: More Weirdness From CFAJ-AM 1220

Just for starters. At 15 cents / kilowatt hour for electricity to feed the transmitter assume the transmitter consumes about 15 kwh = $2.25 per hour for the juice to transmit. That's about $1620 / month just for the electric bill. Probably more once ancillary equipment is added. Add in rent for the land (I believe the land is rented) if it is not then taxes will have to be paid. Site maintenance like cutting the lawn; the costs add up. No revenue?

This has been quite a treat for the listeners within its range.

July 15, 2023 6:55 am  #3

darcyh wrote:

Just for starters. At 15 cents / kilowatt hour for electricity to feed the transmitter assume the transmitter consumes about 15 kwh = $2.25 per hour for the juice to transmit. That's about $1620 / month just for the electric bill. Probably more once ancillary equipment is added. Add in rent for the land (I believe the land is rented) if it is not then taxes will have to be paid. Site maintenance like cutting the lawn; the costs add up. No revenue?

This has been quite a treat for the listeners within its range.

I don't see this station sticking around much longer. I'm just waiting to see the future of 1150 and 820. 
IF they went to a multicultural group, it will no longer be profitable for 1220 to be a "mixed use" station, or even all multicultural.  
Hey? If I am wrong, please correct me! I am all ears! 

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

July 15, 2023 7:03 am  #4

RadioActive wrote:

What used to be almost strictly 60s and 70s has now expanded into later years, with artists like Taylor Dane, Avril Lavigne, Celine Dion, Billy Idol or Survivor getting onto the playlist, something that wouldn't necessarly fit into the definition of a "classic hits" station.  

Actually that has been the case since I first heard it in 2020.  In fact I posted back then about how weird it was to hear artists that I had NEVER previously heard on AM radio ... ever!  Examples were Bif Naked, Nelly Furtado and N Sync.

I would beg to differ on Billy Idol and Survivor fitting the format moniker.  Billy Idol's first debut solo hit and Suvivor both emerged in 1982.  I'd say that qualifies as "Classic Hits".  Taylor Dayne's last single was "Heart of Stone" in 1990, and the the LP it came from was out the year before.  (If I'm wrong, someone can correct me.)  That's 33 years ago.  Would that not fit into Classic Hits?

Cheers,
Jody Thornton

July 15, 2023 10:12 pm  #5

I guess I just think of "Classic Hits" more as 60s and 70s. But they definitely have broadened the playlist somewhat from their testing days, just as Oldies 104 in Buffalo has done. Either way, still no spots or any visible source of income. To paraphrase a 70s oldie by Ace, "How Long Can This Be Going On?" 

July 16, 2023 7:24 am  #6

I respect chasing the dream... but the only model that would work long term is if people volunteered their time.   This is not a sustainable model.  If you took a paying gig here, you either don't understand how radio works as a business/medium OR you're cool with stealing the owners money.

July 16, 2023 11:23 am  #7

Classic Hits is essentially an 80s based format now, with more sprinkling of 90s than 70s.

http://www.mediabase.com/whatsong/whatsong.asp?var_s=087067066083045070077