sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 4, 2023 12:01 pm  #1

Jerry Agar In Again For John Moore On Wednesday

Not sure what's wrong with an ailing CFRB morning man John Moore, but it appears it's enough to keep him off the air for at least one more day. Mark Towhey confirmed at the tail end of his sub for Jerry that he'll be returning on Wednesday. That means Agar will be back doing the morning run for the second straight day. 

No word on how long Moore will be off and frankly, I don't think even those at the station have any idea. 

July 4, 2023 4:38 pm  #2

Re: Jerry Agar In Again For John Moore On Wednesday

Given the current Twitter difficulties this link may not be viewable - he has a very bad cold, with lots of wheezing

https://twitter.com/MooreintheAM/status/1676321792841990146?s=20

July 6, 2023 3:31 pm  #3

If the universe is kind, John Moore will be back on-air tomorrow morning.

Although if he's only borderline better but still not up to par 🏌️ then perhaps taking Thursday and Friday off to get completely well may not be a bad move.

This cold is definitely making the rounds.⛳

July 6, 2023 4:06 pm  #4

If it continues past this week, you won't have Agar to complain about in the morning. He's off all next week, with Mark Towhey continuing to do his shift. If it came to that, I wonder who'd they get to replace Agar for Moore? I can't think of anyone they have who could sub, now that half the staff at Bell stations around the country have been fired. 

July 6, 2023 5:26 pm  #5

A culture sample of Moore's ailment would be better on air than Agar or Towhey, but hey...I'm not an MBA in charge of these things.

July 6, 2023 5:55 pm  #6

RadioActive wrote:

If it continues past this week, you won't have Agar to complain about in the morning. He's off all next week, with Mark Towhey continuing to do his shift. If it came to that, I wonder who'd they get to replace Agar for Moore? I can't think of anyone they have who could sub, now that half the staff at Bell stations around the country have been fired. 

They could simulcast Bill Carroll's show from CFRA.  Fans in Toronto would be glad to hear him again for a week. 

July 6, 2023 6:22 pm  #7

RadioActive wrote:

I can't think of anyone they have who could sub, now that half the staff at Bell stations around the country have been fired. 

If that happens, I'm thinking it'd be Dave Trafford, hired on a freelance/contract basis for the week. He still contributes to the 1010 "Round Tables" and used to do that morning shift as fill-in duty for vacationing (or holiday season) Moore. Perhaps even Jason Agnew, who did daytime shift subbing in the past around that Christmas-to-New Year's stretch (and had that short-lived overnight show when the pandemic initially began).

July 6, 2023 6:34 pm  #8

AspectRatio wrote:

RadioActive wrote:

I can't think of anyone they have who could sub, now that half the staff at Bell stations around the country have been fired. 

If that happens, I'm thinking it'd be Dave Trafford ...

Exactly what I was thinking .. Dave Trafford did an excellent job when he did w/e mornings.  if Trafford rejoined 1010, he'd be no worse than Host#2.  Agar is blinking unlistenable.    

July 6, 2023 11:31 pm  #9

Well it won't be John Tory tho it could have been under very different circumstances.

I'd love it if it's Dave Trafford.🤞📻

Last edited by betaylored (July 6, 2023 11:32 pm)

July 6, 2023 11:44 pm  #10

Time to call up Stafford

July 6, 2023 11:50 pm  #11

I suspect Moore will be back as usual on Monday (and maybe even on Friday, although why not take the extra day to be sure?) So all this is moot. But the substitue suggestions were pretty interesting. 

July 7, 2023 3:49 am  #12

Mr magoogain wrote:

Time to call up Stafford

Maybe Mike and Dave could pair up: "Stafford 'n Trafford"?     Summer fill-in for when "The Rush" host takes some vacation?

July 7, 2023 6:10 am  #13

Mr magoogain wrote:

Time to call up Stafford

hmmm .. not for Moore's morning show.  I was a fan of Stafford for years .. starting back when he did a weekend trivia show on CFRB.  but over the many years subsequent, Staff morph'ed more & more into "old man yelling at the clouds" .. too cynical, too bitter.

.. BUT .. today, i tuned in to see if John was back; sadly no .. but the board guy did table maybe Robert Turner as the next up option !! : )) .. 

July 7, 2023 6:45 am  #14

Hadn't thought of Turner, but he would be great. I'm happy he was promoted, but I'm sorry his voice on-air has essentially been lost on the show. He adds something to it that no one else does. And he used to host an early pre-morning show news round-up. So he has the experience if needed. 

Having said that, I hope Moore is OK. Very unlike him to be off the air for an entire week, with the exception of vacation time. 

July 9, 2023 11:10 am  #15

Looks like it won't be Dave Trafford:as Newstalk1010/Bell Media has cut ties with him:  

https://youtu.be/CRpyYCRghy8?t=117

July 9, 2023 5:28 pm  #16

DenPas wrote:

Looks like it won't be Dave Trafford:as Newstalk1010/Bell Media has cut ties with him...

Ridiculous. Dave is top notch, dependable and experienced. So, of course, Bell Media tosses him.

After all this time, the phone company still has no idea how to run a media company...and it shows.

Here's a link to Dave's venture...
https://storystudionetwork.com/

July 9, 2023 8:00 pm  #17

Dial Twister wrote:

DenPas wrote:

Looks like it won't be Dave Trafford:as Newstalk1010/Bell Media has cut ties with him...

Ridiculous. Dave is top notch, dependable and experienced. So, of course, Bell Media tosses him.

Trafford gone but Mark "Mr. Insult & Mock" Warner stays *shaking my head*

July 9, 2023 8:29 pm  #18

g121 wrote:

Dial Twister wrote:

DenPas wrote:

Trafford gone but Mark "Mr. Insult & Mock" Warner stays *shaking my head*

Warner checks a diversity box so he’s not going anywhere

July 10, 2023 6:43 am  #19

John Moore has returned, although he insists he's still not 100%. At the opening of his show at 5 AM, he told his audience he loves his job - but he hates his hours. And he openly wondered if he was going to make it through the entire four hours. That must have been some cold he had!

Jerry Agar will be played by Mark Towhey for a second week, as the former host is off on vacation in Dallas. 

Meanwhile, while one morning guy is back, another is gone for seven days. AM640's Greg Brady is on vacation, being subbed for by Rob Fai until Wednesday. Global anchor Alan Carter takes the final two days. 

July 10, 2023 2:57 pm  #20

RadioActive wrote:

John Moore has returned, although he insists he's still not 100%. At the opening of his show at 5 AM, he told his audience he loves his job - but he hates his hours. 

I went to listen to The Breakfast Wrap the podcast that gives listeners the first thirty minutes of Moore In the Morning and for the first time there's no new episode. Perhaps the brains who decided to let Dave Trafford go from the roundtable decided they didn't want 1010's audience to hear John state he hates his hours?

Wonder what the answer would be if down the road 1010 management offers John Moore the afternoon drive, or another shift to keep him on the Newstalk 1010 airways and to prevent him eventually burning out and leaving. Also would that even interest John?

Still would like to know why there's no The Breakfast Wrap for today's show.

July 11, 2023 8:37 am  #21

betaylored wrote:

Yes, that's interesting. It's back today (the 11th).

These are the two summer months of staff vacations so maybe they just didn't have time to put it together with fill-in behind-the-scenes staff and finding that rhythm off the top of the week. Normally Nick Maiorano and Joe Cristiano, but Moore mentioned this morning "It's Donnie Coulter behind the glass today..."

July 13, 2023 1:40 pm  #22

AspectRatio wrote:

betaylored wrote:

Yes, that's interesting. It's back today (the 11th).

These are the two summer months of staff vacations so maybe they just didn't have time to put it together with fill-in behind-the-scenes staff and finding that rhythm off the top of the week. Normally Nick Maiorano and Joe Cristiano, but Moore mentioned this morning "It's Donnie Coulter behind the glass today..."

thanks AspectRatio, The Breakfast Wrap is always worth a listen.

July 17, 2023 9:30 am  #23

John Moore confirmed on Monday that after this week, he'll be off for two weeks on vacation. Another 10 days of Agar in the Morning and Towhey at 9 AM? I guess we'll find out next Monday.

July 17, 2023 11:30 am  #24

RadioActive wrote:

John Moore confirmed on Monday that after this week, he'll be off for two weeks on vacation. Another 10 days of Agar in the Morning and Towhey at 9 AM? I guess we'll find out next Monday.

I know there's a "slim to no chance and slim just left town", to use an expression favoured by some excellent hockey broadcasters, that this could happen, but wouldn't it be terrific if Robert Turner filled in for John for two weeks. Appointment. radio.

July 17, 2023 5:26 pm  #25

RadioActive wrote:

Must be the annual pilgrimage to Provincetown, not far from Cape Cod.  It is a well-known destination.

July 20, 2023 8:07 am  #26

Moore announced on Thursday that Jerry Agar will, indeed, be his replacement for the two weeks he's away and that Mark Towhey will fill the 9AM-12PM spot. Adjust your dials according to your preference. 

July 21, 2023 12:02 pm  #27

RadioActive wrote:

Moore announced on Thursday that Jerry Agar will, indeed, be his replacement for the two weeks he's away and that Mark Towhey will fill the 9AM-12PM spot. Adjust your dials according to your preference. 

Towhey made a correction to this previous announcement at the end of his show on Friday - while Agar will be sitting in for Moore for two weeks, it's Deb Hutton that will take over the 9AM-noon slot during the absence. 

July 21, 2023 5:28 pm  #28

RadioActive wrote:

RadioActive wrote:

Towhey made a correction to this previous announcement at the end of his show on Friday - while Agar will be sitting in for Moore for two weeks, it's Deb Hutton that will take over the 9AM-noon slot during the absence. 

Too bad.  I like Towhey better than Ms. Hudak, not that she's really that bad.  Hopefully, Alex Pierson will be back.