sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 2, 2023 7:11 pm  #1

Accidental Hilarious Super Airs On CTV Toronto News At 6

It came on not long after a story about Twitter limiting the number of messages users could see. It had nothing to do with the Blue Jays losing yet again to the Boston Red Sox for a series sweep. But an unintentional promo super about the game somehow managed to combine both stories into one on CFTO's 6 PM news Sunday. 

In promoting what was coming next, viewers saw this:

Yep, there's nothing like a Tweet to make you feel worse!

I actually do feel bad for whoever put that up. As a one-time graphics guy myself, it's really easy to let that stuff slip by you, especially if you're in a rush, didn't have time to check all your keys or simply were at the mercy of someone else's entry error. But this one was too funny to let go by. 

July 3, 2023 9:04 am  #2

Re: Accidental Hilarious Super Airs On CTV Toronto News At 6

That picture shows why Rogers has Rogers signs everywhere.

July 3, 2023 9:15 am  #3

The Weed wrote:

That picture shows why Rogers has Rogers signs everywhere.

Maybe the graphic should have said "Bell looks to avoid Rogers."

July 3, 2023 9:45 am  #4

I noticed yesterday CNN was also sloppy with their graphics.  They had a graphic up regarding the mass shooting in Baltimore, "Two Dead, 28 Shot In Baltimore Mass Shooting."  The problem was the story they were showing and talking about was regarding Donald Trump and a court case coming up. The mass shooting graphic was up for about 45 seconds into the Trump story, then quickly flipped to another unrelated title and then the correct graphic came up.  By this time the story was almost over. 

All the news networks (CTV,CBC,CNN,FOX,CP24) make mistakes almost daily on their chyron graphics.  CP24 is the worst, but in fairness they have by far the most live reporting and inserts during the day so it is not totally unexpected.

Can't recall too many graphic mix ups on BBC World, but they have other technical issues with auto cameras that want to look around the studio, and anchors who sneeze...these are funny. https://www.google.com/search?q=bbc+news+screw+ups&rlz=1C1GGRV_enCA751CA751&source=lnt&tbs=qdr:y&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjRhp_F0_L_AhVRk4kEHWrxD2EQpwV6BAgBEBI&biw=1366&bih=656&dpr=1#fpstate=ive&vld=cid:b0cec3fe,vid:AcKdgg-3QVM 

July 3, 2023 10:30 am  #5

There is a definite dividing line in the way video graphics are done these days and the way it used to be. When I started doing it, it was up to the operator of the character generator (i.e. me) to input EVERYTHING - every person's name, every qualifier, every street I.D., even huge amounts of lists explaining everything from the latest budget in Ottawa to a list of bullet point highlights on say, a new law out of City Hall. 

We had literally hundreds of them per show and part of the challenge was not only making sure everything was spelled right (I had a pretty good track record but with such a high volume, there were the very occasional mistakes) but actually gathering them all from each reporter or writer and making sure they were all checked before 6 PM. 

I was a lot younger back then and the job was absolutely exhausting most days, as you ran from edit bay to edit bay, with reporters who didn't come back until 5 PM. High pressure, indeed. 

Then there was the second generation of machines, which had its own challenges. In this case, computers had evolved to the point where the reporter or the editor could enter the info as they went, and it appeared on a screen in front of you. Sounds like it eased the burden, but if anything, it made it worse in a way. 

Why?

The "too many cooks" syndrome. I discovered our editors, while very smart in many ways, really didn't follow the news that much, despite working for a major Toronto newsroom! So not only would I see endless typos, I would also see outright ridiculous mistakes, which I had to catch before airtime.

I remember two in particular that made my head explode. One said "Mayor Al Lastman" instead of Mel, and the other was a location that read "Jerusalem, Beirut." Imagine the reaction if those had gotten to air!

Back then, we didn't have the bottom banner that stayed up through an entire story. I can only shake my head (you can probably hear the rattling from there) at how much harder this job has probably become with so much going on the screen at once these days. I'm just surprised there aren't more errors like these.

July 3, 2023 7:16 pm  #6

While I was staying for the night in Windsor there was a Thunderstorm moving though Windsor/Detroit. Then during the Local Forecast the red graphic box on the screen that was supposed to say "Severe Thunderstorm Warning" was blank but was red with no text. It shows that the Weather Network's new graphics are sloppy but I think that people who use the Weather Network probably trust the app or others trust their Amazon devices which shows warnings like Thunderstorms, Air Quality etc. My Amazon Echo works great when it comes to weather warnings.