sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 25, 2023 11:09 pm  #1

CFRB's Automation Goes Haywire

When you leave the radio plane on auto-pilot and it doesn't work, you can easily crash. That's what happened on NT1010 Sunday night - at least for the ten minutes or so I heard that was simply inexplicable. 

I tuned in at 10:52 PM and encountered a very long period of dead air. That went on for at least a minute (and it could have been happening for a while before I switched on the radio) before John Moore came on to conclude an interview with author Linwood Barclay. That was followed by another Moore intro, this time with TVO's Steve Paikin, who began talking about his new book. 

That, alas, did not last long. The interview was suddenly cut off, some very odd music came on, followed immediately by, of all things, what sounded like a baseball broadcast recap. They never said the source, but I tuned to TSN 1050 and it was not from them. That aired for at least 30 secs. to a minute, before more odd music came on, followed by a host of very muddy-sounding spots that were definitely not for products you could buy in Canada. 

The spots disappeared after about two more minutes, taken over by local Toronto commercials. The ads went on well past 11 PM, at which point the CTV National News was joined in progress. 

All in all, it was one of the worst fuster-clucks I've heard on any station in a very long time.

I was listening. Clearly, no one who works at the station seemed to be. What an embarrassing mess!

June 25, 2023 11:27 pm  #2

Re: CFRB's Automation Goes Haywire

You're talking about a company that just got rid of 9 AM radio stations. I doubt they care about the remaining ones outside of sports  coverage.

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

June 26, 2023 4:20 pm  #3

Hey it’s not just 1010. Bloomberg 1150 broadcasts two simultaneous signals every evening starting at 10:00pm going until 4:00am Monday through Friday. One is the Bloomberg signal and another is something from 1010. Weekends are fine. I think iHeart has clogged arteries.

June 26, 2023 5:00 pm  #4

Automation is only as good as the people controlling it.  There also may have been something bigger going on.   John Moore's interviews may have been a backup that kicked in after silence of 60 sec. (most stations have this in play).   This would have set off alarms to engineers and programming who may have jumped in and put on a feed from ESPN Radio (as it would be already available to them from TSN).   This would have immediately cut off backup audio.   Once they got things back in order, they likely tried to make up some local spots missed due to the issue, which is more important than programming sadly to avoid makegoods in 2023 and then once that finished it got back to where it should be jumping in to CTV NEWS.   Everything that happened there for sure would not have been just automation.  It screams of someone jumped in with a panic once alarms started going off.    As for 1150, as they have ZERO staff locally looking after the station, I'm guessing no one has listened/reported the issue.   Based on the ratings, no one is listening either.   It's 100% due to misconfigured switcher commands.   

Again... Automation is only as good as the people controlling it. 

Last edited by radiokid (June 26, 2023 5:00 pm)

June 26, 2023 5:01 pm  #5

could it be a someone's on summer vacation and they didn't have a ready-made even semi-skilled board operator to step in situation

Canada Day long weekend radio could be dead air central either way, goodish drinking game mebbe?