sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 16, 2023 8:09 am  #1

Mohawk College suspends journalism program amid falling enrolment

ClassicHitsOnline.com...The place where all the cool tunes hang out!

June 16, 2023 8:43 am  #2

Re: Mohawk College suspends journalism program amid falling enrolment

The radio program at Loyalist in Belleville, which I graduated from years ago, has also been suspended for similar reasons... sad times.

Although, I wonder what will become of the radio stations that are associated with these discontinued programs?

June 16, 2023 9:25 am  #3

This ties in with the above story. Not only is enrollment in some journalism programs down, Canadians may also be avoiding news.  More from Broadcast Dialogue and Media Technology Monitor..
https://broadcastdialogue.com/three-in-10-canadians-actively-avoiding-news-says-mtm-report/

June 16, 2023 9:31 am  #4

if industry will not hire the teachers then why should students pay for their decades out of date expertise or lack of it. 

June 16, 2023 10:11 am  #5

Loyalist College also had a Broadcast Technical/Engineering program. It began about 10 or 11 years ago, and then wound down around 2016...  Not sure if it covered RF Engineering or not... 

June 20, 2023 5:49 pm  #6

TheWiz wrote:

The radio program at Loyalist in Belleville, which I graduated from years ago, has also been suspended for similar reasons... sad times.

Although, I wonder what will become of the radio stations that are associated with these discontinued programs?

Erin Davis graduated from Loyalist and not only laments the loss of the course, but the loss of so much opportunity for newcomers to the biz.

“Granted, if you have the talent and communications skills, you will find your place and it may not be a direct line from the classroom into a radio station…but it’s just overwhelmingly that the business has killed the farm teams, so there’s no room for little league anymore,” she told Broadcast Dialogue. “I mourn it because it gave me everything, but I understand it’s probably more responsible for them to pull back and look at what they’re putting out into an industry on life support.” 

Loyalist suspends Broadcasting – Radio program due to low enrollment

June 21, 2023 2:06 pm  #7

Take up a professional trade...better and more steady pay and employment...less clueless assholes to deal with in upper management...that, or start a YouTube channel showing people how to clean and fix hippo teeth...

June 21, 2023 5:35 pm  #8

The death of real journalism will hasten society's collapse.  It's coming.  Little of what we're told anymore isn't a lie to promote someone's agenda, who doesn't care about anything but profiting at our expense.