sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 4, 2017 8:32 pm  #1

David Bastl on 590 this evening

Good night for radio.  Formerly with 1050 doing mornings, doing Sportsnet Tonight. A Very welcome addition. Yeah.

What colour that parachute, soon-to-be-former-morning-host?

Not saying it will be Bastl, but they're adding depth. Options open.

Start packing those offices, crazy guy and growly man. Ya might be moving within soon.

Last edited by verger (January 5, 2017 2:06 pm)

January 5, 2017 1:19 am  #2

Re: David Bastl on 590 this evening

Drove down the 400 in whiteouts from Parry Sound this evening and had 590 on hoping to hear updates on the  Jr game with Sweden. Bastl gave the score coming out of the 10pm break as 5-2 with a few minutes to go, then a 25 minute interview with some guy about the Blue Jacket win streak, then immediately into a soccer interview. No update on the biggest sports story in Canada in the entire time period. I finally gave up and put on the Norry rerun. Pretty sad for the sports station considered to be the # 1 in the market. By the way, I texted my son to learn the final was indeed 5 - 2 and they play the US for gold tomorrow.

January 5, 2017 5:48 am  #3

wow, if you had just flipped over to 680 on  the 15-45..... imagine the heartache you would have saved yourself....

January 5, 2017 7:35 am  #4

splunge wrote:

if you had just flipped over to 680 on  the 15-45  

NOT around Parry Sound though

January 5, 2017 1:31 pm  #5

680 does not come in my tow truck after dark until south of highway 9. Thanks for the concern splunge. You must be a cityit.
Seeing as you missed the point of my post, maybe the producer at 590 tonight during the gold medal game will suggest to the host that a score update would be appreciated by the traveling public outside of the GTA.

January 5, 2017 2:00 pm  #6

mic'em wrote:

Drove down the 400 in whiteouts from Parry Sound this evening and had 590 on hoping to hear updates on the  Jr game with Sweden. Bastl gave the score coming out of the 10pm break as 5-2 with a few minutes to go, then a 25 minute interview with some guy about the Blue Jacket win streak, then immediately into a soccer interview. No update on the biggest sports story in Canada in the entire time period. I finally gave up and put on the Norry rerun. Pretty sad for the sports station considered to be the # 1 in the market. By the way, I texted my son to learn the final was indeed 5 - 2 and they play the US for gold tomorrow.

I used to work at the station that was the flagship for the Blue Jays games in Toronto. Our PD constantly complained about then play-by-play legend Tom Cheek, saying he never gave the score in the game often enough, and noting many people would be joining the broadcast in progress and it irritated them to have to wait until the bottom of each inning to find out who was winning. Cheek never changed his style, of course, and the PD was only there for about a year. 

That was a long time ago, but it seems in some cases like yours, things haven't changed. (Although I suspect the TSN 1050 signal didn't quite reach where you were.)

The other possibility, however remote, lies in the thinking I once heard from another programmer. He always believed that if you were interested in a certain match, you'd be listening to it. And if for some strange reason you forgot it was on, why remind people by giving them an excuse to search out the competition? Not saying this was the case here and it's a crazy kind of reasoning at best in my mind, but since TSN had the broadcast rights to the game, perhaps SportsNet was trying to keep you distracted from realizing it was on somewhere else.

It may have been on TSN but TSL still rules in radio!

Last edited by RadioActive (January 5, 2017 2:03 pm)

January 5, 2017 2:10 pm  #7

North of Toronto 1150 has a much more reliable signal, and likely had the game on air too. Next time you're up here, try it.

Barrie: It Ain't So Bad Once You Get Used To It. Our new slogan.

January 5, 2017 4:44 pm  #8

Yeah, i tried em all. Even Montreal to no avail. The problem in my tow truck is having 2 other scanner/closed circuit units all operating at the same time and causing weak am reception. I just found it curious to why they give the score at the top break and then never again. The only  thing that comes to mind is the 10-10.30 pm block was voice tracked. By the way, between 9.30 and 10 pm, he did almost a play by play of the game. As the late great Ray was oft to say, " way she goes Ricky. Way she fawkin goes "