sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 26, 2016 10:45 pm  #1

Winnipeg gets Peggy FM

[Via Global News]

WINNIPEG — Corus Radio is bringing an exciting new station to Winnipeg’s airwaves.

On Boxing Day, the station is launching Peggy 99.1 FM, Feel Good Winnipeg.

Peggy is an upbeat station, playing everything from 80’s pop, 90’s hip hop and today’s top music. It’s loaded with all the hits Winnipeggers want to hear, giving listeners an opportunity to indulge in Peggy’s playlist at work, in the car, or on their smartphones.

Rebranded from 99.1 Fresh Radio, Peggy’s unique new format gives a positive, energetic and fun vibe, while giving listeners the music they want.

“Peggy 99.1 was made for Winnipeg, not just in the name, but in the playful, sassy and confident attitude the station brings to the city,” Tammy Cole, program director at Corus Radio said.

“Our listeners will enjoy the stations upbeat music, fun personality and local flare while they’re at home or on-the-go. From running errands to putting the kids to bed, Peggy will be there for you to tune-in to the big hits and tune-out the noise.”

Madness takes its toll.  Please have exact change.

December 27, 2016 12:08 pm  #2

Re: Winnipeg gets Peggy FM

So let's see. It's becoming obvious that people's names are one of the new trends in positioning radio brands. So far there's been Jack, Bob, Dave, and now Peggy. And I'm sure I'm leaving out a few. Shakespeare was wrong when he asked "What's in a name?" The answer should be a radio station!

I wonder how they choose these monikers. They all seem to have one or two syllables only, they're all short and they're all very generic. So no Penelope FM, Kanye FM or Hortense FM, (How do you make a Hortense? Refuse to pay her...)  What other first names might be used to successfully brand a format?

December 27, 2016 12:23 pm  #3

RadioActive wrote:

So let's see. It's becoming obvious that people's names are one of the new trends in positioning radio brands. So far there's been Jack, Bob, Dave, and now Peggy. And I'm sure I'm leaving out a few. Shakespeare was wrong when he asked "What's in a name?" The answer should be a radio station!

I wonder how they choose these monikers. They all seem to have one or two syllables only, they're all short and they're all very generic. So no Penelope FM, Kanye FM or Hortense FM, (How do you make a Hortense? Refuse to pay her...)  What other first names might be used to successfully brand a format?

Names have been around for a while. WBUF in Buffalo which is a Jack now was Alice for a few years in the 90's.

Cool Airchecks and More:
http://www.lettheuniverseanswer.com/

December 27, 2016 12:39 pm  #4

This is the first one that I can think of where a given name is used that is based on the place that the station serves. I wonder if they did any market research to see how people would feel about it, because it doesn't come across as a great choice to me. Anyone know of any other stations that have done something similar?

December 27, 2016 12:41 pm  #5

I don't think names are the issue here.
The bigger issue is why Corus won't study the market properly to see where there might actually be a profitable hole in the market to fill rather than constantly competing with what's already there, like they've done in other markets, (Ottawa is a good example of that with Jump FM)

While they're at it, why don't they just get rid of Q 107 and become another CHFI?? 
They like to think that repeating what's already there is the best way to go.

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

December 27, 2016 2:53 pm  #6

Guaratanteed I'd rather listen to PIGGY FM.

Idiot programmers!!!

Go shovel a driveway and leave radio to talented people.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

[Oh...$o $orry...They're $adly all unemployed.]

Last edited by Old Codger (December 27, 2016 2:55 pm)

December 27, 2016 6:56 pm  #7

=12px"Peggy is an upbeat station, playing everything from 80’s pop, 90’s hip hop and today’s top music. It’s loaded with all the hits Winnipeggers want to hear, giving listeners an opportunity to indulge in Peggy’s playlist at work, in the car, or on their smartphones.

=12pxRebranded from 99.1 Fresh Radio, Peggy’s unique new format gives a positive, energetic and fun vibe, while giving listeners the music they want."

Isn't that essentially how they describe the FRESH brand? 

December 27, 2016 7:04 pm  #8

kevjo wrote:

=12px"Peggy is an upbeat station, playing everything from 80’s pop, 90’s hip hop and today’s top music. It’s loaded with all the hits Winnipeggers want to hear, giving listeners an opportunity to indulge in Peggy’s playlist at work, in the car, or on their smartphones.

=12pxRebranded from 99.1 Fresh Radio, Peggy’s unique new format gives a positive, energetic and fun vibe, while giving listeners the music they want."

Isn't that essentially how they describe the FRESH brand? 

Yes. So much for a simple cookie cutter, but then again, they do have BOB FM to compete with.
Most likely, they felt it was time for a new name that would stand out and somehow get noticed.

Should Fresh Hamilton be renamed Hammy? lol

December 27, 2016 11:22 pm  #9

Lorne wrote:

This is the first one that I can think of where a given name is used that is based on the place that the station serves. I wonder if they did any market research to see how people would feel about it, because it doesn't come across as a great choice to me. Anyone know of any other stations that have done something similar?

Wayne-FM in Wainwright, AB.
There was also a Fred-FM in Fredericton, NB but that was abandoned a few years or so ago.
A couple of others in the US but the names and locations escape me at the moment.

December 27, 2016 11:56 pm  #10

Sunny wrote:

Lorne wrote:

Wayne-FM in Wainwright, AB.
There was also a Fred-FM in Fredericton, NB but that was abandoned a few years or so ago.
A couple of others in the US but the names and locations escape me at the moment.

Thanks. I think those ones work a lot better. 

December 28, 2016 3:01 am  #11

Sunny wrote:

How about Rock radio, "Louie" in St. Louis?   https://formatchange.com/louie-103-7-debuts/

Last edited by Radiowiz (December 28, 2016 3:08 am)

December 28, 2016 11:23 am  #12

Radiowiz wrote:

How about Rock radio, "Louie" in St. Louis?   https://formatchange.com/louie-103-7-debuts/

Another interesting one ... I looked it up because I wondered if the pronunciation could have been an issue with any purists there. Probably their target market wouldn't have cared, but it must not have been big enough as they changed to contemporary Christian the following year. They're now Up! 103.7, which is another name that makes me wonder if they did any market research on it beforehand. 

December 28, 2016 8:49 pm  #13

Radiowiz wrote:

The bigger issue is why Corus won't study the market properly to see where there might actually be a profitable hole in the market to fill rather than constantly competing with what's already there, like they've done in other markets, (Ottawa is a good example of that with Jump FM)

Do you really think Corus didn't do research? Have you listened to Peggy? If you've ever wanted to hear research and nothing else coming out of your speakers, Peggy is for you.

As for Jump, research in Ottawa had seen an opportunity for a CHR that wasn't HOT in the market for a few years...and JUMP just got their first Top 5 finish 25-54, beating some pretty big established brands - and beating HOT outside of mornings in several demos. 

Last edited by Don (December 28, 2016 8:50 pm)

January 2, 2017 5:52 pm  #14

Good on someone for remembering that WBUF was Alice before they became Jack.

You can also add Doug(which WDRQ/93.1 in Detroit used when it did classic hits before it switched to country as Nash FM 93.1)and Ben(WBEN-FM/95.7 in Philadelphia, which also does classic hits)to the list of names used for radio station positioners.

January 4, 2017 11:08 pm  #15

So which Toronto music station will be the first to become known as "RON FM"?