sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 5, 2023 11:57 am  #1

Spaceman gone 5 years

Yesterday marked five years since the passing of Gary Bell, the Spaceman. I wanted to remember him here because he really was a lovely guy. 

Space was a wonderful man and a hell of a storyteller. I listen to old episodes of A View From Space multiple times a week just to hear his voice and chill out. I was in my 20s when I worked with him at Corus between 2001-2007, and our chats in the kitchen at 1 Dundas, where you'd find him making a cup of tea, are some of my favourite memories from the time.

Below is his classic intro to his weekly show, one of the best ever.

“If you’re driving around town or you’re at work listening to me on AM 640 Toronto Radio, I welcome you in. If you’re listening on your 3 or 4g personal communication device via the stream the world software, I welcome you in. If you’re dialled into channel 865 on Star Choice, I welcome you in. Or, if you’re at home, sitting in what they call the best seat in the house to listen to A View from Space in front of your Mac or PC, I welcome you in.

WhereEVER you are in the world, I welcome you in.”

Cheers to the Spaceman, wherever he may be.

June 5, 2023 12:10 pm  #2

Re: Spaceman gone 5 years

Space was a beauty, a real individual and as Andy said, "a lovely guy." It's hard to believe he's been gone 5 years.

June 5, 2023 12:52 pm  #3

Re: Spaceman gone 5 years

The Internet Archive has a lot of his shows posted on there for those who are interested:

https://archive.org/details/AVFS-archive/2004-02-01-space.mp3