sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 2, 2023 8:30 pm  #1

Will A Markham Radio Station Get Permission For A New TX In Pickering?

Among the decisions the CRTC will be making next week (June 5-9th) is on an application by CFMS-FM (aka 105.9 The Region) for a new transmitter in Pickering. The station is not very strong and gets interference from others on and near the frequency. 

I'm not sure how many non-radio people even know about this station, which is licenced to serve York Region and is designated as the go-to broadcaster for the area in the event of an emergency. With regular programming during most of the day and ethnic shows at night, the station remains fairly obscure, despite having a roster of pretty big names for such a small place.

Among those who work there: former City TV stars Ann Rohmer and Kevin Frankish and longtime morning man Jim Lang. 

If approved, the new TX would certainly increase the region The Region covers. They've tried several times for a new stick but the CRTC has always turned them down. We'll find out if it's yes or no this time in the coming week.  

June 2, 2023 10:31 pm  #2

Re: Will A Markham Radio Station Get Permission For A New TX In Pickering?

Would this replace their existing TX or would it be a repeater?

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

June 3, 2023 7:24 pm  #3

I believe it is a repeater as it would.be nested in Pickering. Their main signal would need to be located in Markham, as noted in past CRTC denials for TX changes (most recently Richmond Hill was denied for their main TX)

June 3, 2023 9:09 pm  #4

Pickering is in Durham region. bit of a slap to york.

June 8, 2023 11:04 am  #5

June 8, 2023 11:44 am  #6

The basic reason for the turn down seems to be what I expected - they're licenced for Markham and York Region not Durham. So putting a TX there makes no sense. 

This isn't their first attempt, as many here know, and it reminds me of the infamous time Dufferin Communications (aka the Evanovs) tried to move PrideFM to 103.5 and move CIDC - with a power boost no less - to 103.7. This was back when they were determined to turn Z103.5 (103.7?) into a Toronto station. It didn't work then and it didn't work in subsequent attempts to make Z103.5's signal stronger in the downtown core.

But that didn't stop them from trying and I can only wonder if CFMS will be back to try again in some other way.