sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 31, 2023 4:20 pm  #1

Virgin Radio's Morning Team Quits At End Of This Week

It was a sudden announcement and listeners weren't ready for it - Adam Wylde and Jax Irwin announced on Wednesday they were done in the morning slot on Toronto's 99.9 Virgin Radio and were leaving the station. But it was the speed that took many surprise - the duo will do their final show on Friday. 

More from Broadcast Dialogue.

May 31, 2023 4:24 pm  #2

Re: Virgin Radio's Morning Team Quits At End Of This Week

This is quite the few weeks for Wylde and his family - his mother, Marilyn Denis, will also be leaving her longtime CTV talk show on June 9th - a week after her son's final program. (She will continue her duties doing mornings on CHUM-FM.) 

The departure of Wylde ends a very rare event on Canadian radio. I can't think of another situation where a son was competing against his own mother for listeners on a major market morning shift in the same city.

May 31, 2023 4:56 pm  #3

I wonder who will take the spot. Possibly former morning show duo Blake Carter and Peter Kash?

May 31, 2023 6:41 pm  #4

Here2day wrote:

I wonder who will take the spot. Possibly former morning show duo Blake Carter and Peter Kash?

Darryn Jones, Deepa Prashad.

May 31, 2023 8:57 pm  #5

RadioActive wrote:

This is quite the few weeks for Wylde and his family - his mother, Marilyn Denis, will also be leaving her longtime CTV talk show on June 9th - a week after her son's final program. (She will continue her duties doing mornings on CHUM-FM.) 

The departure of Wylde ends a very rare event on Canadian radio. I can't think of another situation where a son was competing against his own mother for listeners on a major market morning shift in the same city.

And for the same company.

May 31, 2023 8:58 pm  #6

Yes, I suppose that makes it even more unusual. 

May 31, 2023 11:29 pm  #7

Not a consistent 99.9 fan but I really appreciate the way Adam steers the Steve Dangle podcast episodes, he's entertaining, knows his stuff and it's not a surprise he'll be devoting his energy to the network of shows they've developed.

Nice to be able to leave voluntarily, and I am sure Jax will end up with another radio gig down the road, possibly in her hometown out east.

Curious to hear who'll be doing Virgin mornings and if it's an inspired choice or less so, like the new GM for the Leafs.

Last edited by betaylored (May 31, 2023 11:37 pm)

June 1, 2023 12:20 am  #8

RadioAaron wrote:

Here2day wrote:

Darryn Jones, Deepa Prashad.

My guess was going to be an Ontario wide morning show.

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

June 1, 2023 9:52 am  #9

June 2, 2023 10:32 am  #10

Show ends at !0 AM and already Adam and Jax are removed from the website, replaced by the non-descript "Virgin Mornings".

June 2, 2023 11:09 am  #11

At least it was their decision to quit. In this day and age of the biz, that's not always the case!

June 2, 2023 2:30 pm  #12

Storm wrote:

Show ends at !0 AM and already Adam and Jax are removed from the website, replaced by the non-descript "Virgin Mornings".

Some pictures were still up on the site of them but the iHeartRadio website for Canada is a pain to navigate. I could not find the shows section on the site which is dumb. Yet it shows that Bell Media is cheap in house for making a website like this.

June 2, 2023 6:13 pm  #13

RadioActive wrote:

At least it was their decision to quit. In this day and age of the biz, that's not always the case!

Everyone involved certainly played along nicely to make it look that way.