sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 19, 2023 11:47 am  #1

Can They Really Scramble ATSC3.0 TV Signals So You Can't See Them OTA?

Thanks to SOWNY member Mace, who sent me this interesting if not upsetting article about the so-called "Future TV" standard, known as ATSC 3.0. (Most of us are still on 1.0.) 

As some here may remember, Buffalo's WNYO, Channel 49, converted over to this new system about a year or so ago, leaving a "night light" signal in its place because the majority of people don't have sets that can decode the new standard. 

But then I read that station owner Comcast (you knew it would have to be a cable company) has started encrypting those signals using the technology built into the new standard, leaving some viewers very angry and without some of their longtime local affiliates.  

"One of the features of ATSC 3.0 Nextgen TV is the ability to add content protection. This encryption prevents recording or even viewing of the stations unless you have a device with the right device. Sadly for most cord cutters there are only a couple of these devices on the market that do support this encryption, and most ATSC 3.0 tuners...do not support it right now.

This means that many will be forced to find one of the few encrypted ATSC 3.0 tuners on the market. If they can’t, they will now need to pay for a live TV service like DIRECTV STREAM or Fubo to watch the local TV that they got for free recently. Or you will need to switch back ATSC 1.0."

Why would they do this? Isn't the idea of broadcasting a TV signal over the air to, oh, I don't know, allow people to see it? I hope this so-called "Next Gen" standard is not the future of television, especially over-the-air TV. This makes me very nervous because, as we've seen all too often, if they can do something, they almost inevitably will. Even if it harms the viewers.

Comcast Is Starting to Encrypt Its Free Over The ATSC 3.0 TV Stations Meaning Many Cord Cutters Can’t Watch Free Local TV Anymore Without Upgrade

May 19, 2023 11:48 am  #2

Re: Can They Really Scramble ATSC3.0 TV Signals So You Can't See Them OTA?

Is ATSC 3.0 a non-starter in Canada? I highly doubt any broadcaster here would want to move to this unless they absolutely have to down the road, and even then they'll probably just do the bare minimum like what they're doing now.

I would have thought Canada would go all in on streaming before ATSC 3.0 comes here.

May 19, 2023 12:02 pm  #3

I thought WNYO was owned by Sinclair Broadcast and not Comcast? ... 

May 19, 2023 12:29 pm  #4

It is Sinclair owned. It was the stations mentioned in the article I was referring to. WNYO is not encrypted yet and hopefully never will be. 

May 19, 2023 5:16 pm  #5

They want to scramble all those crap reality shows and stuff like the View?  Fill your boots

May 19, 2023 9:32 pm  #6

Two of my TV'S know there's something there on 49-1, 49-2 but say "no signal" or just show a black screen because the sets are 4K compatible but don't have the 3.0 tuner to receive it; if I channel up the 1.0 version of WNYO appears.  So the first 49-1 is in ATSC 3.0, and the second 49-1 is viewable.

May 31, 2023 11:10 am  #7

A bit technical, but some questions worth asking. 

ATSC 3.0 and the continued existence of appointment-to-view TV

Here are mine: who asked for this? Is this really going to be accepted by the public, who may have to buy yet another new TV (or more, depending on how many you have in your house?) They did it with HDTV. I'm not sure everyone is ready for yet another major broadcasting standards change this soon.