sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 29, 2023 11:01 am  #1

Specialized Radio Station Versions Of Big Hits

This is an old article from 2014, but it brings up something I'd long forgotten about - the days when record companies, looking to get their songs played by whatever means necessary (other than payola!) would deliberately alter the lyrics of a tune to include the call letters of a big hit radio station, giving them a kind of exclusive and encouraging them to play it. 

The author in the linked piece gives a fistful of examples, most of which I'd never realized contained these promo versions, all in Los Angeles, and most involving the legendary KHJ. 

When AM stations created their own versions of songs

The one I remember best was a novelty hit by Reunion called "Life Is A Rock (But The Radio Rolled Me)" and the version played on WCFL in Chicago had a chorus that went "Life Is A Rock But CFL Rolled Me." Not to be outdone, there was a version for WLS, as well. 

I can't recall if any Toronto or Canadian stations got on this bandwagon or were included in the special versions. Did CHUM, CKLW or CKLG ever get this treatment? I'd love to hear one of them. Here a few that have been preserved for posterity. 

WCFL

WLS

WRC (Washington, D.C.)
(Interesting to see a pic of former CHUM jock J. Michael Wilson included in this video) 

May 29, 2023 11:50 am  #2

Re: Specialized Radio Station Versions Of Big Hits

CHAM had an opening for Jubilation by Paul Anka—“Great jubilation, this is the station, C-HA-M.” Sounded to me like it was played over the intro.

May 29, 2023 11:51 am  #3

It was done by radio stations themselves with the spoken-word interlude of We Built This City, and I think CHUM and/or CFTR did it here. But I don't remember this too well, because I'd switch the station whenever I could as soon as it came on.

May 29, 2023 12:45 pm  #4

There's kind of an offshoot of this, and it relates specifically to CHUM. Several jocks got together in a group known as the Chummingbirds. It featured the talents of CHUM jocks Mike Darow, John Spragge, Bob McAdorey and writer Garry Ferrier. 

Here's a pretty poor version of it, but the only one I've been able to find online. 

I believe Al Boliska had a song or two of his own while he was working at 1050. I know other stations occasionally did this, as well. Joey Reynolds and Danny Neaverth recorded a song called "Rats In My Room" while they were at WKBW, a tune no other station in town could play. (But given the nature of the song, who would have wanted to?) 

(Image below courtesy: The CHUM Tribute Site)

May 29, 2023 12:57 pm  #5

Hamiltonboy wrote:

CHAM had an opening for Jubilation by Paul Anka—“Great jubilation, this is the station, C-HA-M.” Sounded to me like it was played over the intro.

Those were called "Pop Tops," specially made jingles for specific radio stations and specific songs that were a hot commodity for a while. And yes, they were made to be played over the intros of a song. 

Dale Patterson's Rock Radio Scrapbook has a ton of examples of them on his site, including a couple from CHAM in Hamilton. Don Berns credits Joey Reynolds for coming up with the idea, (which may explain why there are so many from WKBW.) They involved finding sound-a-like bands to match the original groups and recording a kind of station I.D. I think the trend didn't last too long because as soon as the record was off the charts, the jingle could no longer be used. And I'm guessing they weren't cheap. I always thought they were pretty clever, but I believe they irritated some listeners. 

Check out the collection here. 

May 29, 2023 1:08 pm  #6

1050 CHUM also had their own specialized version of "Rock You" by Canadian heavy metal band Helix, with a shout-and-response lead by lead vocalist Brian Vollmer that went something like this:

"GIVE ME A C!!!! (C!!!!)
"H!!!! (H!!!!)
"U!!!! (U!!!!)
"M!!!! (M!!!!)
"WHATCHA GOT??? (ROCK!!!)
"AND WHATCHA GONNA DO??? (ROCK YOU!!!)"

PJ

ClassicHitsOnline.com...The place where all the cool tunes hang out!

May 29, 2023 2:34 pm  #7

We had the same at CKSL in London

May 29, 2023 5:43 pm  #8

This is one of my favourites. The whole song is a Pop-Top!

http://rockradioscrapbook.ca/poptop-klassy100-littlestnick.mp3

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram

May 29, 2023 5:57 pm  #9

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram

May 29, 2023 8:07 pm  #10

My favourite is one I don't think you have. It's the singers going "KB 15...Music Machine" over the intro to Paul McCartney & Wings' "Jet." It worked absolutely perfectly. I suspect these were all carted well in advance, so no one had to do this live.