sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 25, 2023 11:25 am  #1

Someone Please Make It Stop!

I realize there's not much point in complaining about annoying radio spots, but honestly, has there ever been one more aggravating than the current Spence Diamonds commercial? That horrendous bit about the poem is not only not funny, but the real problem is that it's on every radio station during every single damn break!

I recall recently listening to AM640 when it came on and immediately switched to 1010 just to get away from it. I was infuriated to hear they were playing it at the exact same time. 

So here's a poem of my own for the minds behind this audio torture: 

Roses are red,
Violets are blue,
Stop playing this,
Or I'll have to kill you.

Wooo!

May 25, 2023 11:58 am  #2

Re: Someone Please Make It Stop!

Not to mention,
Coast Appliances
I greet you with defiances
you will not drain my finances
Instead send Olivia
To Bolivia

May 25, 2023 2:13 pm  #3

This is why I listen to Kelly Cutrara on CHML on 95.3 HD3 so I don't have to mute my radio for a minute when the Spence commercials come on.  Can't escape the ones from Coast Appliances though.

Will probably need to find a way to time-shift radio as more annoying commercials seem to be a trend.  Unlike NT1010, 640 doesn't make full shows available as podcasts.  I can create my own "podcasts" and record the radio with Audacity, but I can only listen to what I record after the entire recording is done, not while the show is still being recorded. 

Last edited by chrishch (May 25, 2023 2:13 pm)

May 25, 2023 6:51 pm  #4

No annoying, super-repetitive commercials like these here in the Ottawa Valley... although Spence, which has a location at Ottawa's Rideau Centre, is heard every so often on radio in the capital, as are the many Dilawri car dealerships in the city ("no-body deeeeeals, like Di-law-ri!"). No idea who the most frequent advertisers are on the talkers, CFRA and CityNews... my wife & I usually have Stingray CHR Hot 89.9 on in the car, or its competitor, Jump 106.9.

Locally, the Mazda dealer in Pembroke used to dominate the airwaves and papers with their numerous rapid-fire ads pitching used vehicles, and then the Chrysler dealers in Pembroke and Renfrew became the major auto advertiser, bombarding "BAM!" across the Valley. Those ads are gone now, with the Renfrew location now under new ownership.

The closest thing to a repetitive ad on local radio here these days would be for a plumbing and heating contractor, whose phone number could be mistaken for that of a Pizza Pizza franchise. Repetitive, but not so annoying compared to the stuff you hear all the time in the GTA.

May 25, 2023 11:19 pm  #5

grilled.cheese wrote:

I don't listen to the radio.  Problem solved. 

And yet here you are.

May 26, 2023 9:35 am  #6

Sometimes, if you're really unlucky, and can't be bothered changing the station, you might hear 'Sarah' on a horrible Spence diamonds spot, followed by 'Sarah' again, shilling for the Got Junk people.  The woman really gets around.

May 26, 2023 2:25 pm  #7

a lot of advertisers realize frequency sells. what they don't realize is... frequency has a tipping point.

May 26, 2023 2:59 pm  #8

Forward Power wrote:

No annoying, super-repetitive commercials like these here in the Ottawa Valley... although Spence, which has a location at Ottawa's Rideau Centre, is heard every so often on radio in the capital, as are the many Dilawri car dealerships in the city ("no-body deeeeeals, like Di-law-ri!"). No idea who the most frequent advertisers are on the talkers, CFRA and CityNews... my wife & I usually have Stingray CHR Hot 89.9 on in the car, or its competitor, Jump 106.9.

Locally, the Mazda dealer in Pembroke used to dominate the airwaves and papers with their numerous rapid-fire ads pitching used vehicles, and then the Chrysler dealers in Pembroke and Renfrew became the major auto advertiser, bombarding "BAM!" across the Valley. Those ads are gone now, with the Renfrew location now under new ownership.

The closest thing to a repetitive ad on local radio here these days would be for a plumbing and heating contractor, whose phone number could be mistaken for that of a Pizza Pizza franchise. Repetitive, but not so annoying compared to the stuff you hear all the time in the GTA.

Or London radio ads like "Mattress Depot", "Ray Cullen Chevy Buick GMC" which I not heard in a while. Stricklands, Finch auto group. They own almost every dealership in London. They own one in Sarnia and one in Georgetown near the GTA. But still I do tune to other out of market stations I can try to get from other areas like Chatham, Windsor/Detroit, across the lake from Erie and Cleveland. I think the ads in the states are a bit different there compared to here in Canada.

Last edited by haydenmatthews14 (May 26, 2023 2:59 pm)

May 26, 2023 4:43 pm  #9

RadioActive wrote:

I realize there's not much point in complaining about annoying radio spots, but honestly, has there ever been one more aggravating than the current Spence Diamonds commercial?

Has there ever been a Spence commercial that is not aggravating. I will actually change stations when I hear one. I can't imagine anyone who is not on drugs that is influenced to go to that store as a result of their ads. And if I can ever afford to buy a diamond ring it will never ever be at Spence.

May 26, 2023 6:00 pm  #10

All this fuss over radio ads that are annoying. At least these places are easy to get to.
What REALLY has to go is that stupid annoying ad for MTY group's Baton Rouge. |
They advertise as if they are in Toronto, but they are nowhere near.

Until they return to Toronto, their ads are going in one ear and out the other for myself and many people.
STOP! just STOP already! Your restaurant is too far away!!!! 

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

May 26, 2023 6:23 pm  #11

the original hank wrote:

a lot of advertisers realize frequency sells. what they don't realize is... frequency has a tipping point.

It's often not the advertisers' choice. Depending on each station's balance between CUME and TSL, the number of ads per week are adjusted to achieve impressions. For big agency buys like Spence, the client themselves probably couldn't even tell you how frequent their ads run on any individual station.

May 26, 2023 6:25 pm  #12

Radiowiz wrote:

All this fuss over radio ads that are annoying. At least these places are easy to get to.

Until they return to Toronto, their ads are going in one ear and out the other for myself and many people.

They have 4 open locations within Toronto stations' coverage areas.

May 26, 2023 6:49 pm  #13

Thank god some companies buy ads! There's always that.

May 26, 2023 6:55 pm  #14

Dial Twister wrote:

Thank god some companies buy ads! There's always that.

Until the junior staffers at ad agencies become managers, at least!

May 29, 2023 12:20 pm  #15

grilled.cheese wrote:

I don't listen to the radio.  Problem solved

Mr. (or Ms.) Cheese:

You have for years been highly regarded here at SOWNY as an astute, well-informed contributor..    Please don't deny this board the benefits of exposure to your rare insight into (what's left of) radio.  

May 29, 2023 3:42 pm  #16

grilled.cheese wrote:

georgio1 wrote:

grilled.cheese wrote:

I don't listen to the radio.  Problem solved

Mr. (or Ms.) Cheese:
You have for years been highly regarded here at SOWNY as an astute, well-informed contributor..    Please don't deny this board the benefits of exposure to your rare insight into (what's left of) radio.  

I listened to a podcast yesterday that mentioned the term "radio".  That's about all the insight that is needed.

Some attempt to be edgy but, on reflection, their contributions fail to surpass negligible.

May 29, 2023 3:51 pm  #17

RadioAaron wrote:

Radiowiz wrote:

They have 4 open locations within Toronto stations' coverage areas.

Not good enough. They don't even care to mention where they are...because they know nobody is going to go all the way out there once the main core audience realizes how far away it really is. 
It's just too far. 
They need to restore a location in Toronto.

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

May 29, 2023 4:59 pm  #18

Roses are red
Carnations are pink
Callum's an a-hole
and Olivia stinks.