sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 23, 2023 4:36 pm  #1

Wed. May 24th Jerry Agar to have "interesting" guest @ 11:35am

https://twitter.com/NEWSTALK1010/status/1661011454588510212?t=wM-iTy7BJjxS0jG-4paKvg&s=19

Newstalk 1010 gives new meaning to aPPointment radio.

Why would CFRB do this. What do they hope to accomplish. It's not on brand. Or maybe it is.

May 23, 2023 4:44 pm  #2

Re: Wed. May 24th Jerry Agar to have "interesting" guest @ 11:35am

Agreed. Whether you love him or hate him (and there are certainly both represented here!) he is the official opposition leader and therefore an important guest for a news/talk station. My guess is he'll also be on AM640 at some point, as well.  

May 23, 2023 5:38 pm  #3

Ah, yes. An interview with 'Sling Blade'. Gripping.

May 23, 2023 5:41 pm  #4

RadioActive wrote:

Agreed. Whether you love him or hate him (and there are certainly both represented here!) he is the official opposition leader and therefore an important guest for a news/talk station. My guess is he'll also be on AM640 at some point, as well.  

why would he...does he have or want a podcast?

May 23, 2023 6:33 pm  #5

PPity he couldn't appear on Moore In the Morning.

It's the jewel in 1010's crown and John Moore would likely ask an entirely different line of questions than Jerry Agar.

MITM is where a man of Pierre's significance ought to appear, but isn't for whatever reason.

If only Reshmi could chat with him. That  could make for entertaining radio. 🤔😏

May 23, 2023 7:07 pm  #6

Mr.Aldred wrote:

RadioActive wrote:

Not sure I entirely understand your question. The bottom line is whether you love him or hate him, he is a major figure on the political scene in Canada and having him on as a guest is perfectly normal. He has a point he wants to get out after the Johnston report, and that usually means appearing on most of the Toronto talk stations in order to express it.

I'm not entirely sure why this is so hard to fathom. Every politician does it at some point - even the ones many people loathe. The great thing is almost every radio I've ever seen comes with a dial changer and an off switch, so no one is forced to listen. 

May 23, 2023 7:27 pm  #7

RadioActive wrote:

Mr.Aldred wrote:

RadioActive wrote:

Not sure I entirely understand your question. The bottom line is whether you love him or hate him, he is a major figure on the political scene in Canada and having him on as a guest is perfectly normal. He has a point he wants to get out after the Johnston report, and that usually means appearing on most of the Toronto talk stations in order to express it.

I'm not entirely sure why this is so hard to fathom. Every politician does it at some point - even the ones many people loathe. The great thing is almost every radio I've ever seen comes with a dial changer and an off switch, so no one is forced to listen. 

I believe this was a dig at 640's ratings.

And yeah, he makes my skin crawl, but he stands a very good chance of being PM so he's a legit guest.

But I also agree with betaylored that burying him off-peak with softball questions is a missed opportunity. 

May 23, 2023 7:44 pm  #8

I'd love to hear Moore go after him, as well, if only because it would probably make for great radio.

But PP's staffers are not an idiots. Why would he want to walk into the lion's den when he can get a lot easier reception being interviewed by a guy who basically is already on his side? Makes perfect sense he'd make himself available to Jerry and not John. 

It's the same reason the absent Roy Green complains on the air frequently that he's been trying to get Justin Trudeau as a guest on his show for years and the answer is always no. Not hard to figure out why. 

May 23, 2023 7:46 pm  #9

Yeah, I get PP's people wanting the safe slot, but 'RB didn't have to agree with it. Make it compelling or why bother?

May 23, 2023 7:49 pm  #10

My guess is that PP's people would not have bothered if those conditions had been laid down. 

May 23, 2023 7:58 pm  #11

RadioActive wrote:

My guess is that PP's people would not have bothered if those conditions had been laid down. 

Yes. And this is why RB is irrelevant.

May 23, 2023 8:04 pm  #12

For context, Moore's 8am hour has ~80% more audience than Agar's 11am.

May 23, 2023 8:13 pm  #13

But PP knows those clips will be played over and over and over again all day long and into the news the next morning. So in a way, he will be heard on the morning show with the bigger audience without being challenged by someone who opposes him. Makes sense in that context. 

May 23, 2023 8:17 pm  #14

Fellatialy speaking, it's interesting he's going on with Agar.

May 23, 2023 8:26 pm  #15

Rune wrote:

Fellatialy

Now that's a great word.

May 23, 2023 8:32 pm  #16

georgio1 wrote:

Rune wrote:

Fellatialy speaking, it's interesting he's going on with Agar.

Your analogy sucks

Last edited by RadioAaron (May 23, 2023 8:34 pm)

May 23, 2023 8:37 pm  #17

RadioActive wrote:

But PP knows those clips will be played over and over and over again all day long and into the news the next morning. So in a way, he will be heard on the morning show with the bigger audience without being challenged by someone who opposes him. Makes sense in that context. 

Yes, they can play the same soundbites that would be in a campaign ad.

Again, PP wins and RB loses.

May 23, 2023 8:59 pm  #18

Always thought it was funny when Stephen Harper was PM and he appeared on Jerry's show.  The funny part was the hand over to Mike Bullard at noon.  Bullard used make fun of Jerry asking light weight questions to the PM.  This got Agar going and Bullard like him or not really gave it to Jerry for asking so many soft ball questions.  He even said to Jerry that he should take down the posters of Harper in his office.  Comedy gold...

PP absolutely should be on CFRB and CTV, CBC, Global, AM 640 etc.  If he wants the big job he better start having better relations with some media outlets. If they aren't being fair as he says, call them out on it.  Give examples.  He tried this once however a few months ago with a CBC reporter and failed badly since the reporters question wasn't one sided at all.  So he better know what he is talking about.

He also should start giving some good reasons to defund CBC English TV and Radio.  So far he hasn't done this other than some vague reference that they shouldn't be competing with private broadcasters which in most cases is not true.  Just because he doesn't like CBC is not a good enough reason to defund them. 

Harper didn't like them either, but he was smart enough to know that this wasn't and isn't a big issue for Canadians. Although Stephen and Rick Mercer did seem to get along pretty well. 

May 23, 2023 9:22 pm  #19

paterson1 wrote:

He also should start giving some good reasons to defund CBC English TV and Radio.  So far he hasn't done this other than some vague reference that they shouldn't be competing with private broadcasters which in most cases is not true.  Just because he doesn't like CBC is not a good enough reason to defund them. 

And as someone who's made a living in private broadcasting, I really dislike that argument. 

I don't think CBC TV should be selling ads, but that's about where it ends for me. 

Commercial broadcasters are really good at attracting mass audiences, but there will always be content that is important, but not necessarily commercially viable. Radio 2 / CBC Music is probably the most relevant it's ever been. Just because they're not playing the ratings game (they think they are but they're not) doesn't mean it's not providing a good service.

If the CBC went away tomorrow, commercial broadcasting would look or sound any different, invalidating the "they're competing" argument.

May 24, 2023 9:29 am  #20

Like him or not, I don't think I've ever heard CFRB promote an interview more than this one. It began on The Rush at 2 PM on Tuesday and they mentioned it over and over again, on their newscasts, during other shows, and John Moore must have referenced it at least 5-10 times over the course of his morning program. It's a nice get, following the Johnston report, and he's going to be on for almost half an hour, which is unusual, but really, in the end, it isn't that big a deal. 

And by the way, as predicted, he-who-shall-not-be-named is also going to make an appearance on AM640's Alex Pierson show at 11 AM. Not sure how long that segment will be or if he'll actually be at Corus Quay, but how do you make it from there to CFRB studios in time, given the rain and the construction mess downtown?

My guess is 640's will be a phoner or a Zoom call, possibly from Bell's studios. How ironic is that?

May 24, 2023 10:05 am  #21

So referring to the leader of the opposition as PP rather than his actual name makes SOWNY some how less political??    Please...

May 24, 2023 10:15 am  #22

Wow, talk about jumping to conclusions! It's just a short form of the name that everybody knows and we were having a little fun with it. Plus, I hate to keep typing "Poilievre" over and over again. 

This about something happening on local radio and being especially hyped by one station. It can be discussed without accusations of favouring one person over another. As Sigmund Freud once so sagely noted, "Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar."

May 24, 2023 11:30 am  #23

paterson1 wrote:

So referring to the leader of the opposition as PP rather than his actual name makes SOWNY some how less political??    Please...

Yes. Please stop referring to Brylcreem Betty as 'PP'. It's disrespectful.

May 24, 2023 12:31 pm  #24

RadioActive wrote:

Wow, talk about jumping to conclusions! It's just a short form of the name that everybody knows and we were having a little fun with it. Plus, I hate to keep typing "Poilievre" over and over again. 

This about something happening on local radio and being especially hyped by one station. It can be discussed without accusations of favouring one person over another. As Sigmund Freud once so sagely noted, "Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar."

Wow, who said anything about accusations of favouring about one person over another?  My post had nothing to do with that.  I only brought the avoidance of Poilievre's name because you had said in a comment regarding the defunding of CBC on Feb. 27th that you were able to do it without mentioning the Conservative leader by name.  You seemed view this as something worth noting.