sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 23, 2023 9:45 pm  #1

Toronto Radio Overview 1978

I stumbled across this from Iain Grant who reposted this 1978 overview of Toronto radio.  This interesting article was from the Toronto Star when they actually covered local media.  Interesting that CHUM FM had more simulcast stereo concerts on TV than any FM station in North America. This was still years ahead of MTV.  CHUM FM was really starting to do this a lot with City tv.

In 1978 CHUM AM had started to feature 4 song music sweeps and playing selected album cuts. This was not the norm for an AM top 40 station anywhere. 

Of course CFRB was way ahead of the pack in terms of ratings and revenue and other broadcasters tended to be a bit in awe of 1010.  And CFTR was starting to find it's groove, in the top 40 battles.

https://gta.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?id=63

Last edited by paterson1 (May 23, 2023 9:47 pm)

May 23, 2023 10:13 pm  #2

Re: Toronto Radio Overview 1978

Great. Thanks for posting.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

May 23, 2023 10:41 pm  #3

Re: Toronto Radio Overview 1978

paterson1 wrote:

Interesting that CHUM FM had more simulcast stereo concerts on TV than any FM station in North America. This was still years ahead of MTV.  CHUM FM was really starting to do this a lot with City tv.

The stereo simulcasts were recorded live-to-tape at various venues such as the El Mocambo.  Video was recorded on a "quad" VTR (with mono audio) and the stereo mix recorded on a Studer A80 (I believe).  Both recordings included a time code track.

On the air date, playback was at the 99 Queen Street master control.

A separate device monitored both time code tracks and controlled the playback speed of the A80 until it was in sync with the VTR.  Both playbacks were rolled 10 seconds before air time.  It took a number of seconds to "sync up" after pressing "play" on both machines and everyone held their breath until they were in sync.

The audio from the A80 was sent up to CHUM-FM over Bell lines.

An exciting time before stereo TV became a reality.