sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 23, 2023 11:41 am  #1

Ford Shifts Gears - Decides To Include AM Radios In Its Cars After All

It appears it took the threat of rare bipartisan threatened legislation in the U.S., and Ford was the first to blink. The car maker has reversed course and is now agreeing to include AM radio in some of its 2024 vehicles - and add it to those sold in 2023.

“We’ve decided to include it on all 2024 Ford and Lincoln vehicles,” [CEO Jim ] Farley wrote on Twitter. “For any owners of Ford’s EVs without AM broadcast capability, we’ll offer a software update” to restore it, Farley wrote."

How does a "software" update fix this? Would they not have to replace the radios completely to add it?

Clearly the auto giant would rather not be bound by any pending laws, perhaps hoping that restoring the band will make the new law go away. But it might not. Others, like BMW, Mazda and Tesla, have all dropped AM from their products and there's no immediate signs they'll be bringing it back anytime soon. 

They claim that AM is passé for most and that the nature of the batteries used in EVs makes reception difficult if not impossible; Yet clearly their competitor admits it's not.

Lawmakers are worried that losing AM will make it harder for emergency announcements to be heard when they're most needed. 

Ford was the first shoe (brake shoe?) to drop in this ongoing controversy. You have to wonder if it will be the last. 

Ford decides to keep AM radio on 2024 models, will restore AM on two electric vehicles from 2023.

May 23, 2023 2:30 pm  #2

Re: Ford Shifts Gears - Decides To Include AM Radios In Its Cars After All

RadioActive wrote:

How does a "software" update fix this? Would they not have to replace the radios completely to add it? 

Apparently, the latest trend in automated assembly will be to build cars with almost all available options. When building hundreds of thousands (or millions) of similar automobiles, being able to simply 'turn options on' when the customer decides that he/she desires that feature, means much greater efficiency during assembly, and more revenue as the owner decides he/she would like more features. This omits the time-consuming factory-floor task of ensuring that only certain vehicles get certain options. Build them almost all the same, and then turn on whatever the customer is willing to pay for. The digital world is truly changing everything.

How long until some hacker figures out how to buy a stripped down model, followed by the illicit turning on of desired options? 

May 23, 2023 3:17 pm  #3

May 23, 2023 5:24 pm  #4

I understand the “how” of turning off AM via software, but I’m not seeing the “why”

There was never any mention of paywalling it, and it would have been a bizarre choice of a feature to do that to.

Anyway, this imaginary emergency scenario will never occur, but good job on the lobbying job, I guess. It’s a pretty big win for a few years.

May 23, 2023 8:31 pm  #5

RadioAaron wrote:

I understand the “how” of turning off AM via software, but I’m not seeing the “why”

There was never any mention of paywalling it, and it would have been a bizarre choice of a feature to do that to.

Upon further contemplation, I think my "get ready for the worst AM radio you've ever heard" still applies. Ford can easily include AM radio in all vehicles, but can't easily make using it a good experience. They initially chose to remove a feature that wouldn't be a good experience.

So they get some good press today and will probably turn it off once the dust has settled.

May 23, 2023 9:14 pm  #6

RadioAaron wrote:

RadioAaron wrote:

Upon further contemplation, I think my "get ready for the worst AM radio you've ever heard" still applies. Ford can easily include AM radio in all vehicles, but can't easily make using it a good experience. They initially chose to remove a feature that wouldn't be a good experience.

So they get some good press today and will probably turn it off once the dust has settled.

I have to agree here.  Now, in my old 1999 Camry, I have an above average AM tuner with somewhat wider bandwidth.  It sounds a little less like someone is holding their hands over their mouth.  Consonant blends and cymbals ring through much more clearly.  But in most automobiles, the AM section is an afterthought.   Not only do the tuners exhibit low, dull bandwidth,  but selectivity is also pòor, and to improve selectivity  (so you can receive weak signals next to strong ones) is the only reason to choose low bandwidth.  So it's  lose- lose in any case.

If you have HD, I guess that's one way to extend the life of AM stations, but it seems to be of no interest to most listeners or broadcasters.   I think most will contend with streaming through Bluetooth.

I think Ford just wanted to fan the flames of the prospective buyers who happen to think that AM is necessary in preparing for the new world order.  I think most millennials and GenZs would not even consider AM as an option in such a crisis or national emergency.   Wouldn't a weather radio be better for a weather emergency?

Cheers,
Jody Thornton

May 23, 2023 10:00 pm  #7

I actually believe Ford gave in because they're hoping to head off any legislation at the pass. They know that once a new law is passed mandating AM radio in cars, they'll be bound by it. Better to look like they're giving in, hope for the politicos to give up, leaving them free to do what they want when the attention fades, you should pardon the expression, down the road. 

May 25, 2023 7:08 am  #8

CBC Radio 1's "The Current" takes up the case for AM or no AM, with a number of guests, including Q107's Alan Cross. (Somewhat ironic that most of the CBC's stations went from AM to FM, including the one in Toronto.) 

While Cross admits that FM is the better technology, he believes the sounds of silence if AM disappears will be loud for a lot of people. 

"When you have vast countries the size of the U.S. and Canada, AM radio signals are very important because they travel very long distances," he said. "And in a country our size, isn't that important?" he said. 

Another topic they get into that you don't hear very often? The phenomenon of DXing. 

Also included: a clip from radio legends Wolfman Jack and Dick Clark.

Overall, you probably won't learn a lot from this piece but it was fun to hear radio being talked about on radio, especially when you consider they're exploring AM on FM!

Some carmakers are removing AM radios from dashboards. How big of a loss will it be?

May 25, 2023 8:04 am  #9

More on my earlier description of the subscription model affecting new car purchasing/leasing, and the turning on (or off) of various optional features....

https://youtu.be/k_PkXA-nbC0

May 25, 2023 6:00 pm  #10

I had been a fan of AM radio for the longest time, but even I have to admit this whole scenario of trying to convince the public of its necessity in today's world reeks of desperation. Kind of like Canada Post trumpeting the benefits of snail mail.

I suspect we'll probably be having a similar discussion about FM radio in about 10 years or so from now.

PJ

ClassicHitsOnline.com...If you enjoy hearing the same 200 songs over and over again...listen to the other guys!