sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 22, 2023 7:28 am  #1

The Days When Local Radio Stations Advertised On Local TV

Outside of the occasional CHUM-FM spot on Bell stations or 30 secs. of a Q107 reminder on Global, the days when Toronto radio stations advertised widely on local TV seem to be long behind us. But in the 80s, it was common to see come-ons to get you to tune to a specific station. 

A user has put together a great Retrontario montage of some spots from the 80s and just about everyone you can think of is there - CHUM-AM & FM, CFTR, CKEY, CJEZ, CBC, CFNY, CHFI and CFRB. (Yes, even CFRB used to advertise on local television.)

It's amazing to see how they each positioned themselves over the years and it's a look back at stations that are no longer even remotely what they once were. 

But hey, after all these years, who is?

You can find the playlist of all of them here. 

May 22, 2023 7:53 am  #2

Re: The Days When Local Radio Stations Advertised On Local TV

"Listen to the Rainbow" is something for 103.9 FM in today's times!! 

I'm surprised this was left out. A great classic ad for Key 590:

Last edited by Radiowiz (May 22, 2023 8:23 am)

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

May 22, 2023 11:04 am  #3

I remember all of the billboards that you would see in almost any city for local radio and television.  In Toronto back in the 90's driving in or out on the Gardiner often you would see three or four for radio and television.  Dundas Square was another area where CTV, CBC, City or Global would have huge signage for either programming or news.

Locally in Kitchener especially around ratings period, billboards for CHYM FM, CFCA, CKCO-TV, The Record, Oldies 1090, 91.5 The Beat, even Jewel from Brantford.  Most of them had local TV ads too.  

Now it is pretty much only Bell stations like Virgin, Real Country or Bounce on TV.  Although CHYM FM does have ads occasionally.  Always surprised that 91.5 The Beat with never any television support wins the Top 40/CHR battle here in Waterloo Region. 

May 22, 2023 11:24 am  #4

There is a story I've heard about a local Toronto radio billboard, but I'm not sure if it's true. But if it actually existed, it was a small bit of genius.

It says there was a huge sign somewhere in the city that advertised CKEY, back when it was still a Top 40 station. It had a few lights on it and copy that read, "When the lights are flashing, tune to CKEY 580 (they hadn't moved down the dial yet) for breaking news!"

The idea was that a big story was happening and in those pre-cell phone/Internet days, the fastest way to hear about it was on the radio. 

I'm not sure if they kept those lights flashing all the time just to get people to tune in, but if they did use it properly, what an interesting way to attract attention and provide a kind of early media public service. 

Does anyone know if this thing actually existed or is it just a bit of Toronto radio folklore?

May 22, 2023 12:32 pm  #5

I know CHCH aired radio ads like LITE 92 from Brantford, Move 105.7 from St. Catharines and KIX 94.7 from Hamilton.

Last edited by haydenmatthews14 (May 22, 2023 2:09 pm)

May 22, 2023 2:09 pm  #6

rje1 wrote:

St Catharines

Fixed

May 22, 2023 8:56 pm  #7

Still think this may be one of the best local commercials for a radio station ever. It did garner a whole lot of complaints but it was impossible to ignore. There was a similar one with Roger, Rick and Marilyn doing this, but I can't find it online. 

May 22, 2023 9:35 pm  #8

I'm surprised that someone, somewhere does not have video of a CFNY ad from the mid 90s that aired on WUTV-right around the time that Buffalo's 103.3 transformed from AOR The Fox to alternative The Edge. There was a dispute over both stations sharing the same positioner(even though 103.3's was licensed from a company), so leave it to CFNY to answer back. The end of the ad showed the word Edge blocked out of 102.1 logo and the VO ended with "102.1 the (BLEEP)". Even remembering it all these years later, it STILL makes me smile at least, if not laugh. 

Last edited by ckg927 (May 22, 2023 9:35 pm)

May 22, 2023 10:24 pm  #9

I remember London radio stations used to advertise heavily on CFPL-TV in the 90s. BX93, Q97.5, and CKSL when it had the talk format all did TV ads. AM980 advertised quite a bit on TV in early 2000s.

I definitely remember CKCO having ads for KOOL FM in the early 2000s, and later for Dave FM.