sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 19, 2023 4:21 pm  #1

Corus' Roy Green May Be Off The Air For "Weeks" To Come

Last week's Roy Green Show on the Corus Radio Network was a reroll and I wondered why. 

This week, his show is being hosted by CHML's Rick Zamperin. 

And now it turns out the long time weekend host may not be back for a while. He issued this mysterious Tweet on Friday to explain his absence. Except it doesn't really explain much. 

Love him or hate him, there aren't many live issues-oriented shows on the weekend. (I think his is the only one in Toronto, Maggie John's early morning efforts notwithstanding.) I hope he gets back on the air soon. 

February 19, 2023 5:31 pm  #2

Re: Corus' Roy Green May Be Off The Air For "Weeks" To Come

I hope Roy recovers soon and is back on the air, sorry to hear he is not well.   CHML has three or four personalities that are capable of hosting the program and I am assuming there are many others from other Corus stations.
Heard a bit of Rick Zamperin yesterday and he did a good job.  Scott Thompson and Bill Kelly I believe have also anchored Roy's show in the past.  

March 4, 2023 10:27 pm  #3

Roy Green returned to his show this weekend, but revealed the reason for his unexpected absence. He's battling prostate cancer, although he believes they diagnosed it in time. It is one of the most curable forms of cancer, and I can attest to that, heading into my seventh-year cancer free.

I hope Mr. Green's results are just as positive.  

March 5, 2023 10:09 am  #4

Best wishes to Roy Green from me as well. I have a good friend undergoing cancer surgery in his neck this coming Wednesday.  I'm hoping it goes well. 

April 15, 2023 9:49 pm  #5

If you're a listener to the Roy Green Show, you may wonder where Roy has been the past few weeks, with a reroll, followed the week after with CKNW's Martin Strong filling in and familiar Toronto voice Arlene Bynon doing the duties this Saturday and Sunday. 

Unfortunately, it doesn't look the actual host will be back anytime soon. From his Twitter page:

As a survivor of the same prostate cancer (well, so far at least!) that he's dealing with, I'm pretty sure I know what he's going through. And it's not fun. But I'm proof that there is not only light but life at the end of that tunnel. I hope he's better soon. 

April 17, 2023 6:23 am  #6

I always thought that Roy had a certain sophistication to his voice.  I have an air check of him somewhere voicing a spot for Leppert Business Systems on CKDS in the late 80s (modern day Y108)

Cheers,
Jody Thornton

May 14, 2023 12:00 am  #7

Update on his condition from the man who should know. Arlene Bynon continues to sub in the meantime. 

May 21, 2023 5:15 pm  #8

Good news for fans of Roy Green. He had successful surgery for his prostate cancer and expects to be back on-air June 3rd. It's been a long road. He's been away from his show since the middle of February. I know what that recovery is like. Not fun! Hopefully, they got it early enough.

In my case, I also needed nearly 2 months of radiation to truly knock it down after my operation. But it seems to have worked. Don't mean to preach but mine was caught almost by accident. I was lucky. Don't wait to get a PSA test as long as I did. You don't have to agree with Roy's politics to wish him a speedy recovery.  I look forward to hearing his story. 

The guy's been through an awful lot these past few years. His wife died of cancer and his house burned down. His own cancer was strike three. Hopefully, he's up to bat again soon. (And he'll hit better than the Blue Jays!)

May 21, 2023 8:32 pm  #9

Nothing wrong with his politics. Obviously you have a different political view.

May 21, 2023 8:35 pm  #10

Actually, I agree with a number of his stances. But I know there are many here who don't. When it comes to health, though, I put all that stuff aside. That was the point I was trying to make.