sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 14, 2023 8:01 am  #1

Streaming Companies Are Losing Billions - Are Higher Prices Ahead?

They were the next big thing in entertainment when they started - streaming services like Disney+, Apple TV and more. But now they're finding that pot at the end of the computer rainbow may not be filled with as much gold as they thought. 

According to the linked article, streaming services - at least in the U.S. - are losing billions of dollars thanks to ever increasing programming costs. And that likely means higher bills for you. This obviously refers to American services, some of which are available in Canada - but there are now predictions if you want to keep subscribing to some or all of them, you'd better be willing to pull out your wallet. Because the prices are inevitably going up. 

"Company executives have finally realized that streaming was fool’s gold, something that looks great from afar but whose value shrinks when you actually start using it.

"Rather than replace those shrinking carriage fees, streaming has just drained more capital from corporate coffers. The costs of acquiring and creating original programming, marketing in a highly competitive category, and maintaining streaming’s complex technology have far exceeded subscription revenue."

It's hard to say if this will also apply to Crave, the main Canadian streamer, but since it gets a lot if its programming from American sources, chances are if they raise their prices down south, Bell will have to, as well. (Plus, it's Bell, which doesn't need any real reason to raise prices.)

It's unlikely the Golden Goose will turn into the dead duck, but you have to wonder if those who fled from cable because it got too expensive will now see the same thing happening in the streaming world. Not to mention fewer new shows overall. They thought streaming was the new entertainment frontier. But no one ever thought that stream might go dry.  

Streaming Companies Are Losing Billions — Here’s Why That Means Higher Prices & Fewer Shows For You

May 14, 2023 11:29 am  #2

Re: Streaming Companies Are Losing Billions - Are Higher Prices Ahead?

I have been saying for a while now that I'm guessing that soon enough, someone is going to buy out someone, causing a merge and less choice. It will be interesting to see how all this unfolds...

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

May 14, 2023 2:25 pm  #3

Unfortunately, until the ISP companies support (allow?) external multicasting it's not going to get better, and the only companies that can really withstand the strain will be the ISP's.  

I had an internet station which generally had 200-350 listeners each hour, a ton from Europe.  All was good, but at that level, you can't monetize it, nor did I want to.  I had my own server, so it wasn't a big deal.  Because I'm a smartass though I had the streams set for 10k... it looked good.

This was all good till Microsoft decided to put the station on the front page of its internet stations thingy.  And things got bad fast.  It was like a DOS attack on the server.   10k was achieved within seconds of that page being updated and continued for about 7 hours till the VP Server e-mailed to say I was about to go massively over the monthly cap.  I had no option but to pull the thing offline for a few days till it calmed down again.  

Internet radio is like one of those Chinese finger traps.  The more successful you are, the more it costs you, to a point where you can't afford your success.

And then there's every overzelous music rights group out there with their hand out..

ig.

Madness takes its toll.  Please have exact change.

May 14, 2023 8:30 pm  #4

Too many services and not enough people interested in their programming.  Lots of customers only keep a streamer for a month or less, tape what they like and then leave.