sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 11, 2023 6:55 am  #1

Is HD Radio The New AM Stereo?

I’ve been listening to HD Radio in my new car for a few months now, and while the signals of AM stations like CFRB and 640 definitely do sound better on FM, it’s not something I’d miss if it was gone.

And sometimes I wonder if it will be. I asked if HD Radio is the new AM Stereo because they both promised to be the savior for AM stations when they were introduced. Many PDs and station owners were sure that once people could listen to music in stereo on AM, listeners would come back.

But not enough car radios had them and no one seemed to care enough to go out and buy one. So those stations that were banking on a big breakthrough wound up catching another case of "mono."

I think the same thing is happening with HD. It’s gotten a lot more acceptance in car radios than AM stereo did, and for the most part, it works well. There’s just one thing – none of the big Toronto stations ever seem to mention it on air anymore. I haven’t heard a single promo for it in years, although all of them used to at least try to let listeners know it was available. (In the U.S., it's included in their top of the hour IDs.)

Instead, they’re all pumping apps and smart speakers as the best way to listen when there’s no radio nearby. It’s as though HD has ceased to exist, although it’s still very much there, with a fairly large number of stations using it.

I suppose it’s not costing them much more to leave it there. But while SOWNY folks are all too familiar with its existence, I have to think the regular public probably has no idea it’s even in their dashboard.

So is HD DOA? Or will they just leave it there because they bought all the equipment to put it up, and otherwise ignore it? For those who have access to it, how big a listening factor is it when you’re out driving? Would you miss it if it wasn’t there? If HD Radio falls in a forest and no one hears it, does it still make a sound?

Sad to see another so-called “advancement” in AM radio being all but ignored.  

May 11, 2023 9:41 am  #2

Re: Is HD Radio The New AM Stereo?

The problem is that not many people know HD radio exists. With data getting relatively cheaper (although it's still one of the most expensive places in the world for Canada as a whole), stations will just keep pushing their apps rather than HD Radio.  I don't have CarPlay or Android Auto in my old (2011) car, but I do have HD Radio.  I always listen to 640 & 1010 on HD even though the HD2 signal on 95.3 is sometimes spotty.

I like HD so much that I even bought a Sangean radio with HD that I listen to it at home rather than streaming various stations through my smart speakers.  I guess I'm one of the weird people out there.  If HD radio is gone, I will definitely miss it.

May 11, 2023 9:51 am  #3

I'm a bit of a radio nut and still listen to AM and FM quite a bit.  I've got an HD radio in the car so that's the only place I can listen to it.  My main listening in the car, however, is streaming Spotify or BBC Radio 6.  When the radio bug strikes me, I find myself listen to 1220 CFAJ or The Grand on 94.7 HD3.  When I'm downtown, I listen to 680 News on HD to avoid the streetcar line interference and allow me to listen all the way into the parking garage at my office.  Other than that, I will occasionally take a spin across the FM band to look for any new HD channels. 

I think HD radio is doomed due to lack of receivers and lack of radio listeners in general these days.

May 11, 2023 9:57 am  #4

chrishch wrote:

The problem is that not many people know HD radio exists.

Which is exactly the problem. How can the average listener, who isn't always savvy about this stuff, know it's there if they never hear about it? There used to be promos on stations and on their websites advertising it. Try finding those pages online now without some difficulty. 

did manage to locate one on AM 640's site after a bit of trouble, but it's so out of date, the YouTube video they put out to explain it to listeners is labelled "private" and unable to be played. 

But at least it's still there. CFRB's website turns up a "no results found" when you search for "HD Radio." Clearly they've both given up on it.

May 11, 2023 10:33 am  #5

Yeah, like you can just walk into a Walmart or something and buy an HD radio. ROTFL.
Does BAY BLOOR Radio even know what HD radios are? 
Besides a car dealership, where does one go to buy an HD radio? & NOT for the car either. For home use.
& what is the price?  

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

May 11, 2023 10:49 am  #6

There is many issues with how HD is done, the lack of effort by the industry to improve things also is an issue.

I will not talk about home based radios, because most people are moving to streaming for that use.   Smart speakers, etc. are the home radios for a lot of people now.   HD should be made available on low cost clock radios and other home devices..  Sadly home HD radios are way over priced which will not make anyone care about it, so streaming may be the best case for most homes.    Stats show homes are moving this way and have been for a while.

For in the car, I think radio still has life left over streaming.       The major issue is how it's being setup on radios.    The easiest way is putting HD for the station you are broadcasting on the main signal.   For 1010 for example, it really should live on 1010 am.    It would then flip to HD automatically if your radio has the feature.   It's easy.... and the user has to do very little to know how to work it.    Sadly most AM sites are not ready to go for HD and require investment which owners don't want to make.    FM on the other hand is fairly easy to setup to be HD ready, with limited upfront costs involved for most stations.  This is why most owners have put their AM's on their HD2-3-4 of their FM stations.   This is where the issue is.     Without promotion, no one knows/cares about these because of what you have to do to get to them on your radio.   For 1010, you have to go to 99.9 FM... wait for the HD to come on, then go to HD2.     Trying to explain that to a listener is way to complicated for something they get with zero effort at AM1010.

The way it could be fixed is working with the manufacture of HD.   Develop a way to operate like digital tv does, with virtual channels.    This way 99.9 fm hd 2, would be connected to AM1010.   So when you dial up AM 1010, your radio could automatically connect to 99.9 HD2.        They also could allow radios to show each station in HD in an easy to find display based on what the station is known as (NewsTalk 1010) just like streaming apps do.

The industry could push for all of these things and make them happen.    With car manufactures dropping AM or soon will be, this should have been done and ready for the future.   Sadly if they don't soon do something, we will see some just go dark.   Perhaps that is the plan?

Last edited by radiokid (May 11, 2023 10:50 am)

May 11, 2023 10:50 am  #7

Radio World on Steeles Ave. in North York has some home HD Radios for sale, but they're far and few between. Here are the ones I could find:

Sangean HDR18

Sangean HD20

Eton Satellit HD

Sangean HDR14

Sangean HDR16

May 11, 2023 11:06 am  #8

Familiar topic.  I've had a number of discussions with Moses' senior staff, because their AM 740 audience complain about the AM interference, and their 96.7 frequency does not have enough power to overcome co-channel in the west end from CHYM.  Why don't they promote HD2?  "It's too confusing"..that's the standard response.  I suggested they put together a video for their website on "how to tune HD2" in the car.  They have lots of video production experience, and some pretty smart TV production people.  but nothing happens.  And, HD transmission in Toronto is not cheap.   Brookfield which controls the roof rights at First Canadian place  probably charging $20,000 per year/per HD subchannel -  in additional rent to stations who utilize HD2, 3 and 4's. Plus they take a revenue share, if the channel is being leased out.  The main HD channel at First Canadian Place does not spike a rent increase.  Scott Fybush told me that he knows of no U.S. tower rental companies that charge a premium for HD2, 3 or 4 use.

I have no ratings data for the U.S., but I do hear HD ids at the top of the hour, in the states.  And from my dial scans in my car, the Buffalo FM's are stacked with HD subchannels.  So they must have some business rationale for their expansion of HD.

As for Bell, well I think management is so very dysfunctional in that company that no one who's really "in charge" is aware of HD.   I know they pulled off HD from CHUM FM's signal because a program director believed that they had lost coverage on the main channel out at the fringes.  I would miss it if Rogers pulled down their CJCL 590 HD3, because I listen to it in the car (which has no AM reception) and I listen to Durham's WAVE.fm (rebroad of CIWV 98.3 vancouver).  I think for some Toronto ethnic stations they actively promote their HDs and the channels are generating listeners and revenues.   Increasingly I am turning to streaming via TuneIn and Spotify in my vehicle...and listening less to conventional radio.  As a footnote, my daughter purchased an FM/bluetooth radio in Europe as a gift, and aside from great rechargeable battery life it is waterproof and allows streaming from my phone around the house or in the garden.  So my "Insignia" HD radios have fallen into dis-use, except for two pocket sized earphone HD radios, which we use to listen to sports, when walking.

I don't think that the U.S. auto industry is going to abandon HD in the car any time soon because the chipset that facilitates IBOC reception costs next to nothing and HD has made multipath much less of a problem in cities with highrises, moutain terrain, etc, for in-car reception of FM.  Last thought, National Public Radio stations are really good at promoting their HD main and sub channels.  Not that NPR is a ratings leader, but HD has certainly factored into their business plans.

Last edited by tvguy (May 11, 2023 11:15 am)

May 11, 2023 11:10 am  #9

radiokid wrote:

The way it could be fixed is working with the manufacture of HD.   Develop a way to operate like digital tv does, with virtual channels.    This way 99.9 fm hd 2, would be connected to AM1010.   So when you dial up AM 1010, your radio could automatically connect to 99.9 HD2.   

I've suggested that here too -- it definitely should have been set up that way from the start.

I listen to 680 on HD at home for 15 minutes every morning. If that went away, I'd have to stream and probably wouldn't bother.

My wife has Country on 99.9-4 on the car presets...not sure how often it gets punched up.

May 11, 2023 11:15 am  #10

tvguy wrote:

I have no ratings data for the U.S., but I do hear HD ids at the top of the hour, in the states.

Nothing. The only time HD shows up in the ratings is when an HD subchannel is the source signal for an analog repeater.

May 11, 2023 11:39 am  #11

tvguy wrote:

.  And, HD transmission in Toronto is not cheap.   Brookfield which controls the roof rights at First Canadian place  probably charging $20,000 per year/per HD subchannel -  in additional rent to stations who utilize HD2, 3 and 4's. Plus they take a revenue share, if the channel is being leased out.  The main HD channel at First Canadian Place does not spike a rent increase.  Scott Fybush told me that he knows of no U.S. tower rental companies that charge a premium for HD2, 3 or 4 use.

Toronto is a bad example because of the way it's setup for rental on FCP, but normal cases, you can add HD to an existing plant for much less on FM than you can on AM.    I do know the CN tower is going through an upgrade and not sure how they will handle HD via their existing tenants and the new master antenna system.   The point of the upgrade on top of getting equipment modernized, is to allow stations on the CN tower add HD if they want.   I'm willing to bet we see most jump on board. 99.9 only has HD because they are using their own antenna and space left from CFTO analog on the CN Tower.   I also wonder if most on FCP have been able to make deals because majority on FCP are in HD, some with 4 HD signals.     

I have long argued, that only exclusive content that people want will ever make people care about subchannels.  Putting something already available on another signal that requires a new radio, will not work.   Durham is one that does this with WAVE for Smooth Jazz.  And in the USA, there is options that are not available on regular broadcasts.    Sadly without promo, you will NEVER know they exist for most if they have to press 5 buttons to make it work vs 1.    The industry has to jump in with 2 feet, promo the HD and actually provide content.  Work with the makers of the radios to make the experience easy.      In Canada with limited options to move an AM to FM in major centers, i think they need to start now if they have hopes to safe some huge properties like 1010/680 etc.   

Last edited by radiokid (May 11, 2023 11:53 am)

May 11, 2023 12:51 pm  #12

Not to mention the deletion of AM from many electric vehicles and manufacturers like Ford confirming it will no longer include the band in its new models - gas-powered or otherwise. This could be one way to keep those AM signals alive in vehicles. Time appears to be running on AM and it's amazing station owners haven't tried to speed up HD awareness instead of ignoring it. 

But clearly they think apps and streaming are the only future. There's nothing easier than turning on a radio pre-set without having to connect to anything. And even with cheap data, as the old saying goes, you can't beat free. 

May 11, 2023 12:58 pm  #13

radiokid wrote:

tvguy wrote:

.  And, HD transmission in Toronto is not cheap.   Brookfield which controls the roof rights at First Canadian place  probably charging $20,000 per year/per HD subchannel -  in additional rent to stations who utilize HD2, 3 and 4's. Plus they take a revenue share, if the channel is being leased out.  The main HD channel at First Canadian Place does not spike a rent increase.  Scott Fybush told me that he knows of no U.S. tower rental companies that charge a premium for HD2, 3 or 4 use.

Toronto is a bad example because of the way it's setup for rental on FCP, but normal cases, you can add HD to an existing plant for much less on FM than you can on AM.    I do know the CN tower is going through an upgrade and not sure how they will handle HD via their existing tenants and the new master antenna system.   The point of the upgrade on top of getting equipment modernized, is to allow stations on the CN tower add HD if they want.   I'm willing to bet we see most jump on board. 99.9 only has HD because they are using their own antenna and space left from CFTO analog on the CN Tower.   I also wonder if most on FCP have been able to make deals because majority on FCP are in HD, some with 4 HD signals.     

I have long argued, that only exclusive content that people want will ever make people care about subchannels.  Putting something already available on another signal that requires a new radio, will not work.   Durham is one that does this with WAVE for Smooth Jazz.  And in the USA, there is options that are not available on regular broadcasts.    Sadly without promo, you will NEVER know they exist for most if they have to press 5 buttons to make it work vs 1.    The industry has to jump in with 2 feet, promo the HD and actually provide content.  Work with the makers of the radios to make the experience easy.      In Canada with limited options to move an AM to FM in major centers, i think they need to start now if they have hopes to safe some huge properties like 1010/680 etc.   

Good info.  We spoke about HD conversion on the CN tower on this forum before.   Has the work started?  I remember hearing the empty space of old analog channel 5 CBC (above the current Master FM) will be the spot for a new Master FM.   I guess they would just shut down the old one which is literally 50 years old almost and still going strong!

May 11, 2023 2:05 pm  #14

RadioActive wrote:

But clearly they think apps and streaming are the only future. There's nothing easier than turning on a radio pre-set without having to connect to anything. And even with cheap data, as the old saying goes, you can't beat free. 

The dashboard apps are getting to the point where they're just as easy, if not easier.

May 11, 2023 2:09 pm  #15

Worth noting that in other markets where launching HD is a lot less complicated, Bell/Rogers/Corus haven't done anything more than adding HD to a single signal for the purpose of simulcasting AMs.