sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 8, 2023 1:56 pm  #1

Vassy Kapelos Impresses As New "Question Period" Host

Sunday marked the first day Vassy Kapelos took her place as host on the long-running CTV weekend show "Question Period," and she certainly made her mark. 

She started with an exclusive interview with former Finance Minister Bill Morneau on his new book, which she used to interrogate him on a number of things he'd probably rather not have been asked about. Among them: how he and the Prime Minister often did not see eye-to-eye and his involvement in the WE Charity scandal that eventually cost him his job. 

In many instances, he gave the usual BS non-answer talking points that every politician does, but to her credit, she tried to not let him get away with it, re-asking the same question, while telling him his last answer was less than forthcoming. Not enough interviewers do that and I was happy to see it. 

She did the same thing with the Canadian Ambassador to the U.S., when she gave a predictably diplomatic answer to handling trade issues with our American partners and the upcoming "Three Amigos" summit, circling back more than once to try and get an honest reply out of her. 

Her next new segment involved three pundits from each party and they didn't hold back, either, which was refreshing. 

If I have any complaint (and it's a very small one), she kept looking up to the ceiling while trying to form her next questions for Morneau, before turning to look him in the eye. It was, to be honest, a little off putting, but it's a minor distraction.  

Overall, she conducted the entire hour quite well and I'll be looking forward to seeing her continue the tougher lines of questioning to those who are too well trained in how to avoid answering them as her tenure continues. 

If it can no longer be Evan Solomon, this looks to be a pretty good replacement.  

January 10, 2023 1:08 am  #2

Re: Vassy Kapelos Impresses As New "Question Period" Host

She has been doing a similarly good job on Power and Politics for years. The thing she does better than Solomon is grill politicians without seeming disrespectful or condescending. She has been holding people’s feet to the fire for a few weeks on her radio show and those same guests have appeared on TV and warmly congratulated her on her new jobs. I like seeing tough questions and civility at the same time.

She has said on her radio show many times already “I’m going to work to get answers for you on this topic.” I felt like Solomon was interested in making himself look good than being the viewer’s or listener’s advocate.

January 10, 2023 3:17 pm  #3

Both CBC News Network Power & Politics and CTV News Channel's Question Period are pretty good shows.  Too bad they are both on at 5pm, but P&P does run until 7pm, so they cover more stories and sometimes more in depth.  I agree, Vassy is exactly the same on CTV as she was on CBC. Always pleasant but not afraid to ask a question 2 or 3 times if she is getting spin.  She will interrupt if the guest goes into a repeat of talking points.  Something that Evan didn't do as much.  Solomon was actually better on radio than TV in my opinion.  

May 8, 2023 2:05 pm  #4

I just heard Vassy Kapelos congratulate herself on her 25th birthday. 

Wow. In her relatively short time in the business, she's had a show on CBC-TV, another on CTV News Channel, she hosts Question Period nationally on CTV itself and she does a nationwide radio show five days a week on the iHeart Network.

Those are some sort of major accomplishments for someone that young. It takes some people half a lifetime to achieve that kind of success, if at all. What did your resume look like at 25? 

That is very, very impressive.  

May 8, 2023 2:13 pm  #5

She just celebrated her 42nd birthday.  Wiki says she was born May 6, 1981.  Maybe she was referring to 25 years in the business which would be possible. 

May 8, 2023 2:16 pm  #6

It did seem a little hard to believe. But she sounded very sincere and did not appear to be joking. She specifically said it was her 25th birthday and not her 25th year in broadcasting. So I'll leave it to you to figure out what she meant. 

But she does not look anywhere near 41, if that's her true age. That, however, makes more sense. 

I'll wager she's still accomplished more in that time than most people in the business have in 50 years!

Still very impressive.

I haven't forgotten Evan Solomon, but she's not a bad replacement.

May 8, 2023 11:43 pm  #7

She was saying that it was her birthday weekend and she was joking that she turned 25 again this year.

noun: humour
1. the quality of being amusing or comic, especially as expressed in literature or speech.

May 9, 2023 6:37 am  #8

Yes, I caught the reroll of this on a stream timer-record and she said: "We had a picture-perfect weekend, it was actually my birthday. So exciting to be celebrating 25... [Laugh] again... and again... and again... [Another laugh]". It would be hard to miss she was joking with the laughing and "again... and again... and again..." text even if the laugh was missed.

Obviously joking. 

May 9, 2023 6:59 am  #9

Yeah, my bad. I only got the very final reference at the end of her show as she was signing off and she sounded sincere. But I missed the explanation prior to that. That's what happens when you tune in very late!

Still, my point stands. She's incredibly good on air and she doesn't let any of the politicos get away with anything, no matter what the party. That's refreshing. I wish more reporters would do that with those in office who talk and talk and talk and never say anything. The first phrase out of all those who cover that beat should be, "Yes, Minister, but you didn't answer my question..."

May 9, 2023 8:23 am  #10

I enjoy her show too as a daytime 1010 highlight for sure. A good interviewer.

May 9, 2023 11:46 am  #11

Vassy is the best newstalk host on the air.  Smart, knowledgeable,  and not afraid to ask tough questions, and call out the politicians who try to skate around answers.  Evan Soloman was good, but made it too much about himself at times.  Vassy is all business, and 'can't miss' radio.

May 10, 2023 12:14 am  #12

Absolutely.  I get the impression that she feels a responsibility to get answers for her audience.  Too many hosts seem to think their opinion is all that matters.  The production of the show is the only weak spot.  Too often an incorrect clip is played or an intro doesn't fire.  She always laughs it off but it would have to be frustrating sometimes.

May 10, 2023 8:52 am  #13

For anyone who follows her Insta, she's VERY self-deprecating and regularly posts embarassing photos of herself (almost to a fault, as after a time I genuinely find myself wishing she'd give herself a bit more praise for her own accomplishments). It's a good reminder that even if your job is quite a serious one, not to take yourself too seriously.